Back to top

Short-Term Absences and Leaves of Absence

We understand that there may be an instance where a graduate associate (GA) might require a short-term absence or leave of absence to care for themselves and/or family. Since every situation is different, the College of Education and Human Ecology, in accordance with the guidelines established by the Graduate School, will individually review requests for short-term absences and leaves of absence to support GAs through:

  • personal and/or family illness
  • bereavement
  • childbirth
  • adoption

While students not registered for classes are ineligible for the leaves of absence outlined on this page, you should work with your supervisor, advisor, and the GA Manager to determine the course of action that is in your best interest.

Any GA who would like to request a short-term absence (less than two-weeks) or leave of absence (two to six weeks) should take the following action:

  • Contact your immediate supervisor as soon as possible to make the request and discuss any accommodations that need met. 
  • Work with your supervisor to complete the Request for Leave Form found on the Graduate School website. Once the form has received required signatures, submit the form to the appropriate department contact:
  • Be prepared to supply the appropriate documentation to support your request (i.e. letter from a medical practitioner). We take the utmost care in protecting your privacy and any documentation that you may supply.
  • If you or your supervisor has any questions throughout the process, please feel free to reach out to the designated contact for your department or the GA Manager, Amanda Crall,

Instances may arise in which a request for leave of absence is denied because of an unreasonable request or not following guidelines, such as supplying insufficient documentation, repeated requests, and documented unsatisfactory performance. If a GA would like to appeal the decision, the GA should contact the GA Manager to discuss options.