GAs must meet the minimum registration requirements as outlined by the Graduate School to maintain eligibility for appointment. We encourage students to work with their program advisors and refer to program requirements when planning their schedules.
Each graduate student is assigned an enrollment appointment, which states the date and time you can start scheduling classes. In order to make sure you do not get closed out of classes and meet the GA registration requirements, we encourage you to schedule as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. Students are responsible for any late fees incurred if they are not meeting the minimum registration requirements by the semester tuition and fee deadline.
GA Registration Requirements
Type of Student
AU/SP Minimum (Hours)*
AU/SP Maximum (Hours)*
SU Enrollment Minimum (Hours) if holding GA for SU*
SU Enrollment Maximum (Hours) if holding GA for SU*
*Audited courses do not count towards requirement.
Note: International students must enroll in 8 credit hours (4 for summer) even if appointment is less than 50%. The exception is if you are a post-candidacy international student, you would follow the post-candidacy requirements.
Summer Fee Authorization Guidelines
The summer fee authorization is a benefit provided to graduate students who hold a position throughout the year. Below are the eligibility and registration requirements for those who receive this benefit.
- Graduate students holding a 50 percent or greater GA appointment for autumn and spring semesters are entitled to a full fee authorization during the immediately following summer term without being on appointment.
- Graduate students holding a 25 percent GA appointment for 2 consecutive semesters are entitled to a summer fee authorization at half the full fee authorization rate.
- Masters students and predoctoral students using the summer fee authorization must be registered for at least 4 hours of credit.
- Post-candidacy doctoral candidates must register for at least 3 hours of credit.
- A graduate student who elects not to enroll during the summer may not defer the use of the summer fee authorization.
- Students on a summer fee authorization may hold a 25 percent or less GA appointment. Students hired for a 25 percent appointment for the summer who will receive the full summer fee authorization as a result of their 50 percent appointment in the previous autumn and spring, must register for a minimum of 4 credit hours as a result of the 50 percent appointment.
- Students on fellowships or non-GA appointments for one or both semesters are not eligible for the summer term fee authorization.
- Payroll deduction. The fees covered by the fee authorization are the general fee, non-resident fee (if applicable), and the learning and technology fees. Students using the summer fee authorization cannot have the student fees they are responsible for paying (i.e. COTA fee, rec fee, student activities fee, etc.) payroll deducted as they do in autumn and spring. Students using the summer fee authorization are responsible for paying their fees on time.