The Office of Accreditation, Placement, and Licensure (APL) provides handbooks that are applicable to the various field placements you will experience in your journey to becoming an educator. In each handbook, you will find basic policies and requirements, as well as resources to ensure you are on track to becoming a licensed educator.
The Office of Accreditation, Placement, and Licensure per university and state guidelines, requires any student engaged in a field placement experience involving children or youth—regardless of length or purpose—to complete the following items:
- Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification (BCI&I) background check
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) national background check
- Student Field Experience and Clinical Practice Application Form
- Activities w/Minors Training
- Standards of Behavior Directions
- Student teaching placements ONLY: Ohio Standards for Education Preparation course
Important required document notes:
- APL is tasked with ensuring all above compliance requirements are complete prior to any student beginning a field placement. APL will officially confirm placements with licensure programs and partner districts and agencies upon compliance completion. No student may attend placement until this confirmation is made.
- Autumn term background checks must be valid through October 1 to begin a placement. Spring term background checks must be valid through February 1.
- At the end of spring term, documents 3-5 above must be resubmitted for the next school year. The school year is considered summer term through spring term.
Students should first direct any questions or concerns to their program representative or manager for program specific processes. All other questions or concerns can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
District Policies for Background Checks (Columbus Campus Students)
It is a federal law that no one other than the person listed on a background check can distribute a copy of the background check to a third person. Therefore, for districts that require to see a copy of background checks, the student must deliver the background check to the district office at least one day prior to their required reporting day. In these cases, students will need to go to Human Resources, 1590 N. High Street, Suite 300, with a photo ID, to obtain a copy of their background checks to distribute to the district. Please look up your district to see what their background and reporting policies are for admittance into their buildings. If you still have questions, please contact your program manager.
Placement Procedures (Faculty and Staff)
Each program has a program manager or faculty member who is responsible for making decisions on the particulars of each of their students’ placements. The Office of Accreditation, Placement, and Licensure serves as the liaison between the school district or agency in helping each program secure approval for the field placement. OSU students, please do not submit compliance documentation using this form. Please contact email@example.com.
Please reference the APL Field Placement Template Directions for support in accurately submitting your placement requests. A list of area schools, with contact information, is available for reference.
If a student is no longer part of your program, please remember to submit the Student Enrollment Change, Qualtrics Tool.