Back to top

Graduate Certificate in College and University Teaching

Is it your dream to become a professor at a prestigious college or university?

Our graduate certificate in college and university teaching can give you the skills needed to teach at the higher education level.

Engage in a rigorous, structured education of theories and practice in university-level teaching – both in general and in your own specialization – as well as develop the skills needed to become a reflective and scholarly professor.

*Students who started the legacy graduate interdisciplinary specialization in college and university teaching may complete the specialization, or transition to the certificate. Any courses completed for the specialization count towards for the certificate.

Why get a College and University Teaching Certificate?

Work one-on-one with an Ohio State faculty member.

Document your growth and commitment as a university educator.

Gain the experience with and develop core competencies for teaching in higher education.

You may already be well on your way to finishing your graduate certificate without even knowing it. Many graduate students find out they have already completed approved courses. That reduces the time you may need to achieve your college and university teaching specialization.

How Will I Earn my Certificate?

Applications for the certificate are accepted during any term and is open to any graduate or professional student in good standing at The Ohio State University. You must have the permission of your primary advisor to be admitted.

No prior teaching experience is required.

4 steps to earning a graduate certificate

Graduate students interested in earning the certificate should:

  1. Review the curriculum and choose courses
  2. Submit an application for enrollment
  3. Adhere to the required procedures
  4. Get courses approved that you have taken, or want to take

How to get courses added to the certificate

Faculty should complete the following to get a course included:

  1. Find out what the course approval process involves.
  2. Get an independent study or a mentored experience course approved.
  3. Download a course approval form.

College and University Teaching Coordinators

All questions should be directed to:

Shirley L. Yu, PhD
Associate Professor, Educational Psychology
Department of Educational Studies
College of Education and Human Ecology
165A Ramseyer Hall
29. W. Woodruff Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614-688-3484

Alisa Tate
Director, Office of Student Services and Graduate Studies
Department of Educational Studies
122 Ramseyer Hall
29 West Woodruff Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: 614-688-4007