Ketogenic diets: Facts and fallacies
Education and Human Ecology is excited to launch a new opportunity for alumni, community members and friends of the college to learn directly from Ohio State experts on a variety of trending topics.
Our introductory expert is Jeff Volek who will share the latest facts about ketogenic diets as a way to reverse disease such as obesity and diabetes.
In this presentation, Professor Volek will:
- Describe the historically negative connotation and bias against ketones
- Discuss the evidence supporting keto-adaptation as a transformative approach to reverse disease
- Share highlights of research about using the ketogenic diet to--
- reverse obesity and type-2 diabetes
- enhance the safety/efficacy of cancer treatments
- augment soldier readiness
- help athletes make record-breaking achievements
- support other broad health benefits
About the speaker
Jeff Volek, PhD, is a registered dietitian and professor in the college’s Human Nutrition program.
For 20 years, he has performed cutting-edge research on how humans adapt to ketogenic diets. He studies people on the ketogenic diet in his clinic, as well as in performance situations.
His scholarly work includes more than 300 peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts and five books, including a New York Times bestseller.
Professor Volek's work has contributed to the existing science of ketogenic diets. He is the chief science officer and co-founder of Virta Health, the first clinically proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without medications or surgery.