History of the superintendent-in-residence program at Ohio State
From the earliest days of the College of Education at Ohio State, officially formed in 1907 by state statute, the faculty worked with Ohio’s schools to support the training of teachers and administrators. As early as 1918, documents show that superintendents of Ohio schools taught summer courses to students enrolled to become teachers.
In 2003, he was named the William Ray and Marie Adamson Flesher Professor of Educational Administration by Dean Donna Evans. Walter also taught courses and shared his wisdom with future superintendents in the Superintendents Licensure program. He retired from Ohio State in 2005.
There was a pause in the role until Ralph A. Johnson became superintendent-in-residence from 2008 to 2010. Johnson had been superintendent of New Albany Schools northeast of Columbus and director of leadership for the Educational Service Center of Central Ohio.
In 2018, Dean Don Pope-Davis revived the Superintendents-in-Residence program by inviting John Marschhausen, superintendent of Hilliard City Schools, to join the college in this role.
Pope-Davis expanded the program in 2019 by inviting Talisa Dixon, superintendent and CEO of Columbus City Schools, and Marie Ward, superintendent of Fairfield County Educational Services Center, to join. These additions are in keeping with the goal of the college to partner with schools representing rural, suburban and urban school districts.