Back to top

Policies for Multiple Undergraduate Majors and Multiple Undergraduate Degrees

Multiple Undergraduate Majors

Students who wish to pursue more than one major are encouraged to consult with their EHE academic advisor for procedural advice. The general guidelines are as follows:

  1. The student must apply and be admitted to each major. The student should complete this task at least 2 semesters prior to the graduation application deadlines for each college
  2. The student must meet all requirements set by the unit offering each major
  3. Each major program must contain at least 30 hours not contained in the other major including courses listed under major, option, professional, and supporting areas

The majors and corresponding specializations and degrees offered within EHE include:

Consumer and Family Financial ServicesN/AB.S.H.E.
Early and Middle Childhood StudiesN/AB.S.Ed.
Early Childhood EducationN/AB.S.Ed.
Exercise Science EducationExercise ScienceB.S.Ed.
Exercise Science EducationHealth PromotionB.S.Ed.
Fashion and Retail StudiesN/AB.S.H.E.
World Language EducationN/AB.S.Ed.
Health Promotion, Nutrition, & Exercise ScienceN/AB.S.H.P.N.E.S.
Hospitality ManagementN/AB.S.H.M.
Human Development and Family ScienceFamily StudiesB.S.H.D.F.S.
Human NutritionDieteticsB.S.N.
Human NutritionNutrition in IndustryB.S.N.
Human NutritionNutrition SciencesB.S.N.
Integrated Language Arts/English EducationN/AB.S.Ed.
Middle Childhood EducationN/AB.S.Ed.
Physical Education, Sport, and Physical ActivityPhysical Activity SpecialistB.S.Ed.
Physical Education, Sport, and Physical ActivityPhysical Education Teacher EducationB.S.Ed.
Special EducationEarly Childhood InterventionB.S.Ed.
Special EducationMild/Moderate InterventionB.S.Ed.
Special EducationModerate/Intense InterventionB.S.Ed.
Sport IndustryN/AB.S.Ed.
Science and Mathematics EducationChemistry EducationB.S.Ed.
Science and Mathematics EducationEarth Sciences EducationB.S.Ed.
Science and Mathematics EducationLife Sciences EducationB.S.Ed.
Science and Mathematics EducationMathematics EducationB.S.Ed.
Science and Mathematics EducationPhysics EducationB.S.Ed.
Technical Education and TrainingBusiness Education Teacher EducationB.S.Ed.
Technical Education and TrainingCareer and Technical Education B.S.Ed.
Technical Education and TrainingFamily and Consumer Sciences EducationB.S.Ed.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other LanguagesN/AB.S.Ed.

Multiple Undergraduate Degrees

Students who wish to pursue an additional degree at The Ohio State University (i.e., at least one degree from the College of Education and Human Ecology as well as an additional degree from either the College of Education and Human Ecology or another undergraduate college at the University) must:

  1. Enroll in EHE and complete at least 30 degree hours beyond the minimum required for the first (or the second, etc.) degree
  2. Students must satisfy all requirements for each degree.
    • This includes prerequisite coursework that is required by the major program but not counted toward the major credit hours (e.g., GE social science or natural science courses).
  3. If the second degree is in EHE, the student should enroll in EHE at least 2 semesters before the deadline to apply for graduation.
  4. General Education (GE) courses and other electives may count toward both degrees.
  5. The 30 additional credit hours required for the second degree must be upper division coursework (i.e., 3000 level or higher) within the second major.
  6. Courses may be used to satisfy requirements on both degrees only if the hours are in excess of the 30 degree hours beyond the minimum required for the first (or the second, etc.) degree.
    • For example, Human Nutrition 2310 could satisfy the requirement in the core for the B.S.Ed. in Exercise Science Education as well as a major requirement for the B.S.N. in Human Nutrition, as long as the student will be in excess of the 30 additional credit hours past the minimum required for the first degree.
  7. In addition, no more than 10 credit hours of coursework from any previous minor program can be used on the major for an additional degree. In some cases, at the time of graduation, a student can petition to have the minor from the first (i.e., original) degree removed. If applicable, please discuss this possibility with your advisor to see if this is advantageous within your particular program.
  8. Meet the requirements for an undergraduate degree as defined in faculty rule 3335-9-30
    • For example, graduation requirements for all students are to complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours at the University through regular course enrollment before they can receive an undergraduate degree from the university.
  9. Have the approval of the EHE Associate Dean of Academic Affairs or his/her appointee at least two semesters before graduation with the additional degree.

The degrees within EHE include:

  • B.S. in Education (B.S.Ed.)
  • B.S. in Health Promotion, Nutrition, and Exercise Science (B.S.H.P.N.E.S.)
  • B.S. in Hospitality Management (B.S.H.M.)
  • B.S. in Human Development and Family Science (B.S.H.D.F.S.)
  • B.S. in Human Ecology (B.S.H.E.)
  • B.S. in Nutrition (B.S.N.)