Back to top

For Faculty

Some Basic Information on University Procedures

A Quick Reference Guide for Faculty

Adding a course

If a student seeking to add your class brings you a Course Enrollment Permission form and you approve the add, please check the appropriate box(es) on the form (to specify what you are approving), sign it, and refer the student to his/her academic advisor to complete enrollment. Adding students to your CARMEN course does not officially enroll them; they must be enrolled in the Student Information System (SIS). In approving students to add your class, please be cautious when exceeding the “Class Capacity.”

Late course adds

Adding a full-term course after the first week requires permission from the instructor. After the second week, students must petition their advising office and obtain signatures from both the instructor and department chair. Students will be charged an additional $100 fee for each course added past the second Friday of a full-term course.

Permission to schedule conflicting classes

Students seeking to schedule classes with time conflicts must obtain approval, on the Course Enrollment Permission form, from both instructors before taking the form to their advising office for processing.

Petitioning to drop a course retroactively

Students who come to you seeking to drop a class after a deadline (or even after the class is over) will most likely be petitioning with their advising offices to drop. In petitioning to drop a course retroactively, the student must provide documentation to his/her advising unit, which will review the student's request and may need verification of last date of attendance in your course. If asked, please verify last date of attendance AND indicate the student's progress in your course. Please send your e-mail directly from your OSU e-mail account to the academic advisor whose name the student provides you. If the course is still in progress, encourage the student to continue attending, in case the petition is not approved.

Disenrollment for non-attendance

Faculty rules permit an instructor to disenroll students who fail to attend class at the start of the term (See Rule 3335-8-33, "Conditions and procedures for disenrollment from a course"). The number of missed classes depends on the meeting pattern of the class. The instructor can initiate the disenrollment by sending a "Student Absence from Class Report" to the student's advising office. Since not all departments exercise the option to disenroll students in all courses, this rule does not relieve the student of the responsibility for dropping a course the student is not attending.

Grades (assigning and changing) Reminders for Assigning Grades

  • Grades of incomplete ("I") should be assigned only when the student has already completed significant work in the course and you have agreed, in consulting with the student, that he or she has legitimate reasons for taking more time to finish the course. If you assign an "I", you must also indicate an alternate "lapse" grade to be posted in the event the student does not meet the remaining requirements.
  • If you do not submit a final letter grade by noon of the seventh Monday of the next academic term, the mark of "I" will default to the alternate "lapse" grade you assigned at the time you posted the incomplete.
  • If an incomplete has defaulted to the "lapse" grade before you are able to submit a grade based on completed work, you will need to submit a Grade Assignment/Change Form (see below).
  • The grade of "EN" should be assigned to a student who failed your course because he or she never attended the class or, at some point during the term, ceased to attend and to submit work. (It should not be used for students who attended sporadically, but persistently.) When you assign an "EN" grade (or a "UEN," for courses graded S/U; or an "NEN," for students graded Pass/Non-pass), you will be prompted to enter a number to designate the week in which the student stopped attending class (a week number of 0, for example, if the student never attended the class). If you are not sure when the student stopped attending, consider the last evidence you have of attendance (e.g., a quiz, test, lab, paper submitted, etc.).

Grade Changes - A grade should only be changed to rectify a clerical or procedural error: (See Rule 3335-8-23, "Alteration of marks")

  • Follow the instructions on the form: View Form
  • Please DO NOT give the Grade Assignment/Change Form to the student. A second signature is required before forwarding grade forms to the Registrar's Office.
  • For UNDERGRADUATE courses, please forward the grade form to Jennifer Lando, Assistant Dean.
  • For GRADUATE courses, please forward the grade form to your department chair. Grade changes can take up to two weeks.


Most of the forms you will need to sign are available on-line at the following secured location: Forms

If you do not have access to this page, please contact the Human Resources Professional in your home department.

Deadlines for Dropping Classes

Week 4 - Friday of the 4th week is the last day for a student to drop an autumn/spring/summer semester full-term course without a mark of "W."

Week 10 - Friday of the 10th week is the last day to drop an autumn/spring/summer semester full-term course without petitioning. Extenuating circumstances will be considered for a drop, and students will have to submit a petition to their advising office to explain those circumstances.

(There are different drop deadlines for Session 1/Session 2 classes, and for May and Summer Session classes. Please see "Important Dates" for more comprehensive information.)

Although not all students use financial aid to help finance their education, it is always a good idea to advise a student who is thinking of dropping a course to be sure he or she understands the consequences of the drop on his/her eligibility for aid.

Financial Aid/Fee Related

All questions related to financial aid and/or fees should be directed to the Student Service Center (SSC)

If a student asks if your course can count for his/her degree program

Refer the student to his/her academic advisor or advise the student to run a degree audit.

Transferring a course from another college (transfer credit evaluation)

Refer the student to his/her academic advisor. Students can determine their academic advisor by visiting their Student Center on Buckeye Link or Academic Advising at Ohio State.

Freshman Forgiveness

Refer the student to his/her academic advisor. Students can determine their academic advisor by visiting their Student Center on Buckeye Link or Academic Advising at Ohio State.

Applying to Graduate

Refer the student to his/her academic advisor. Students can determine their academic advisor by visiting their Student Center on Buckeye Link or Academic Advising at Ohio State.

Declaring a major/minor

Refer the student to his/her academic advisor. Students can determine their academic advisor by visiting their Student Center on Buckeye Link or Academic Advising at Ohio State.

Graduate School Information

  • In general, a student interested in graduate school should consult with faculty knowledgeable in the discipline the student intends to pursue.
  • Many academic advisors and college career offices, as well as the Career Connection office, have resources to help students research and prepare for graduate and professional school.
  • There is also pre-professional advising for students interested in pre-health, pre-education, and pre-law.

Training and Informational Resources

Student Referral Resources

  • Office of Undergraduate Student Services (UGSS) (EHE Students ONLY) - The academic advising office for students in EHE. The advisors in UGSS can help students with everything described on this page.
  • Tutoring Resources - This link lists all tutoring resources available at Ohio State.
  • Dennis Learning Center - This office provides a variety of courses and other services related to success in the classroom.
  • Counseling and Consultation Service - If you think a student needs immediate assistance, this office has a counselor on-call during most business hours. You can direct the student to call (614) 292-5766: Counseling and Consultation Service will not contact the student on your behalf.
  • Student Service Center (SSC) - Refer a student to this office (281 West Lane Avenue) for all questions related to fees and financial aid.

Online Academic Tools for Students

It is important for students to understand the resources and tools available to assist them in degree planning, in working with their advisor, and in conducting university business.

Buckeye Link - a web page of online links intended to provide students with convenient access to information and resources (the Course Bulletin and the Schedule of Classes, for example) in a variety of general categories: Buckeye Link (students should use the "Students" tab).

Student Center - A set of online pages in the Student Information System (SIS), where students should go to schedule classes, check their statement of account and financial aid status, update their contact information, etc. Students can access their Student Center (and most of the other tools listed below) via Buckeye Link.

Degree Audit/DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) - an online report that enables a student to check her/his progress in a particular degree program. DARS provides an analysis of how completed, in-progress, and projected course work can be applied to the requirements for the degree. (Honors students in the College of Arts and Sciences do not use a degree audit and should contact their advisor with questions.) Instructions on how to run the degree audit report are available on the Registrar's website. Students should run their DARS each term to review their degree progress.

EAB - an online system for advising notes, where students can review notes written by their academic advisors, and schedule academic advising appointments.

Schedule Planner – a web-based class scheduling system that allows a student to select courses from the Schedule of Classes; block out "breaks" or set time aside during the day for studying, extra-curricular activities, work schedules, internships, athletics, etc.; and check whether there are available schedules that fit those constraints. Schedule Planner is integrated with SIS, and students can link to it from the main Student Center page.

Advising Report - a summary of a student's academic statistics. (It looks like a transcript, but is not an official university transcript.) Along with other information, it provides a term-by-term review of courses taken/attempted and grades earned. Students can run this report by clicking a link in their Student Center.