Education Minor (EDUC-MN)
The education minor is designed to provide foundational knowledge about education within the larger social context and to offer a cross-disciplinary examination of the intersections of education, culture, and society. Students choosing to minor in education may wish to explore education as a possible career choice or they may be interested in studying current issues in the field as well as learning more about schools and schooling in today’s society.
The education minor requires at least 15 credit hours. At least 6 credits need to be taken at the 3000-level or above.
- Students will examine the legal, ethical, interpersonal and community issues that impact education across the life span of a learner.
- Students will work closely with professionals as well as complete readings and tasks about current issues in education to provide students the opportunity to explore a career as an educator.
- Students will examine the relationships between education and the social, political, philosophical, and cultural contexts of the larger society.
- Students will study the hereditary and environmental factors that influence individuals’ physical, cognitive, affective, social, and language development.
Part A – Required courses – Choose 1 course (3 credits):
- EDUTL 5005 Equity & Diversity in Education
- ESPHE 3206 School & Society
- KNPE 2542 Lifespan Motor Development
*Courses not taken in Part A can be used as electives in Part B
Part B – Elective courses - Select 4 courses (12 credits):
- EDUTL 2368 Children’s Literature
- EDUTL 3160 Application of Development in Learning Context
- EDUTL 3356 Literature for Adolescents
- EDUTL 3005 Urban Teaching & Learning
- EDUTL 4303 Linguistic Diversity in Education
- EDUTL 5101 Teaching with Drama
- EDUTL 5468 Foundations of Reading & Literacy
- EDUTL 5741 Learning Cognition in STEM
- EDUTL 5798 Study Tour
- EDUCST 5798.01/.02 Study Tour
- ESCE 2189S FEEP
- ESEPSY 2309 Psych Perspectives on Education
- ESEPSY 5401 Adolescent Learning & Development in School Contexts
- ESPHE 3410 Philosophy of Education
- ESPHE 4280 History of Modern Education
- ESPHE 4403 Ethics & the Professional Context of Teaching
- ESSPED 2251 Intro to Special Education
- ESWDE 5624 Foundations of Workforce Development & Education
- ESWDE 5672 Lifelong Learning in Adult Years
- HDFS 2410 Child Development
- KNHES 4525 Promoting Behavior Change in Sport, Leisure and Exercise
- KNPE 2201 Concepts of Fitness & Wellness
- KNPE 2307 Adventure-Based Learning
- KNPE 5795 Sociocultural Issues in Sport, Rec, & Phys Education
Education minor program guidelines
Required for graduation: No
Credit hours required: A minimum of 15 credit hrs. 1000 level courses shall not be counted toward the 15 credit hr minimum. At least 6 credits need to be taken at the 3000-level or above. Transfer and EM credit hours allowed A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination.
Overlap with the GE: A student is permitted to overlap up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.
Overlap with the major and additional minor(s):
- The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
- The minor must contain a minimum of 12 hours distinct from the major and/or additional minor(s).
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA for all minor course work.
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor
Minor approval: Minor program approval is not required; as long as there is no variation from the minor program sheet. Any variation from the minor as indicated must be approved by an EHE advisor located in A100 PAES Building (614-292-9621)
Filing the minor program form: The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school advisor.
Changing the minor: Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the academic unit offering the minor