Physical Activity Specialist Minor (PHACTSP-MN)

OSU Oval Seal

The Physical Activity Specialist minor consists of a minimum of 18 semester hours and is designed to equip students with essential skills to work with preschoolers, children, and youth in physical activity settings. You must take the required courses listed below; no variations in the programs are allowed.

After an advisor in the College of Education and Human Ecology Office of Undergraduate Student Services has approved the Minor Program Form, you must file the form with your college.

Students preparing for a career as a physical activity specialist are strongly encouraged to obtain CPR and First Aid Certification.

Pre-requisites (3 credit hours)

  • KNPE 2201 Concepts of Fitness & Wellness (3)

Core Courses (12 credit hours)

  • KNPE 2542 Lifespan Mtr Development (3)
  • KNPE 2601 Teaching Phys Ed, Leisure, & Exercise (3)
  • KNPE 5544 Sport & Leisure Perspectives for Special Populations (3)
  • KNPE 4191 Internship: Physical Activity Settings (3)

Elective Courses

Select two courses from the following (6 credit hours):

  • SOCWORK 2110 Prevention & Youth Development through Sport, Recreation, and Play (3)
  • COMLDR 3330 Program Development and Evaluation (3)
  • KNPE 5795 Soc-Cultural Issues in Phys Ed (3)
  • KNPE 5521 Skill Analysis (3)
  • KNPE 5657 Sport and Disability (3)
  • KNPE 2307 Adventure Based Learning (3)

Physical Activity Specialist minor program guidelines:

Required for graduation: No

Credit hours: required A minimum of 18 credit hrs. 1000 level courses shall not be counted toward the 18 credit hr minimum. Transfer credit hours allowed A maximum of 6

Overlap with the GE: Permitted.

Overlap with the major: Not allowed and

  • The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
  • The same courses cannot count on the minor and on the major.

Overlap between minors: Each minor completed must contain 12 unique hours.

Grades required:

  • Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
  • Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
  • Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.

Minor Approval:
The approval of an advisor in the College of Education and Human Ecology is required for the minor (A100 PAES Building, 614-292-9621)

Filing the minor program form:
The minor program form must be filed with the student's college/school at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.

Changing the minor:
Once the minor program sheet is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by an EHE advisor located in A100 PAES Building (614-292-9261).

Program Degree Department Email
Undergraduate Minor Human Sciences


Note: Students exact curriculum may vary depending upon program of study determined by student and advisor.