Visual Impairment Minor (VISIMP-MN)
The minor in Visual Impairment (VI) consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours. Participation in this minor will develop the critical skills and knowledge necessary to work with persons with visual impairments. Additionally, as part of the VI minor, students will gain:
- Knowledge of various eye conditions, eye anatomy, and medical diagnostics for persons with visual impairment
- Knowledge of ways in which the environmental needs are assessed for persons with visual impairment
- Provide knowledge that will allow a student to pursue design and implementation of best practices in a variety of settings to promote access and inclusion of persons with visual impairment
Part A – Required Courses (9 credit hours):
- EDUTL 5501 Inclusion (3)
- EDUTL 5507 Visual Processes (3
- EDUTL 5510 Basics of Orientation and Mobility (2)
- EDUTL 5529 Introduction to Visual Impairment (1)
Part B – Elective Courses (Select 2 courses, 6 credit hours)
- EDUTL 5506 Reading and Writing Braille (3)
- EDUTL 5525 Curriculum and Instruction for Students with Sensory Impairment (3)
- EDUTL 5530 Professional Development (3)
Visual Impairment minor program guidelines
Required for graduation: No
Credit hours required: A minimum of 15 credit hrs.
Transfer and EM credit hours allowed: A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination.
Overlap with the major and additional minor(s):
- The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
- The minor must contain a minimum of 12 hours distinct from the major and/or additional minor(s).
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.
Minor approval: Minor program approval is not required; as long as there is no variation from the minor program sheet. Any variation from the minor as indicated must be approved by an EHE advisor located in A100 PAES Building (614-292-9621). A student’s primary advisor can add the minor by using the program code at the top of this program sheet.
Filing the minor program: form The minor program form must be filed with the student’s college/school at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.
Changing the minor: Once the minor program form is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the academic unit offering the minor