Any student participating in a P-12 field placement (of any length or purpose) who is not already a fully licensed professional, must complete a background check prior to entering the field site.
The guidelines for EHE field placements are based on the screening system used by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). If you have a conviction that falls into either the First or Second Screen for Initial Licensure and Initial Employment, you will not be placed in a K-12 setting until you have met the Rehabilitation stage (if applicable, and Second Screen only). If your background check shows any conviction in either area, your program will immediately alert you of your academic options.
What to Know for Processing
- BCI&I: Request code 3319.39B3
- FBI: Request code 3319.39
- Only these codes will be accepted.
- Request that a copy be sent to ODE if applying for licensure within the year.
- For first-time processing, allow 8 weeks prior to placement.
- Repeat processing will take 2-4 weeks without an arrest record, 6-8 weeks with an arrest record (even if expunged or occurred as a juvenile).
- Fingerprint Consent Form for Educator Prep Program
Have a copy of your background check sent to the campus address below where you attend classes:
Columbus CampusThe Ohio State University
1590 N. High St., Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43201
Lima CampusThe Ohio State University at Lima
Dr. Leah Herner-Patnode
567-242-7167 Lima Campus Education & Human Ecology
Galvin Hall 402-D
4240 Campus Drive
Lima, OH 45804
Mansfield CampusThe Ohio State University at Mansfield
Redmond L. Wood, M.S. Ed.
124 Riedl Hall
1760 University Dr.
Mansfield, OH 44906
Marion CampusThe Ohio State University at Marion
1465 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Marion, OH 43302
Newark CampusThe Ohio State University at Newark
Lu Ann Bline
1179 University Dr
Newark, OH 43055
Where to Go for a Background Check
What Else Do I Need to Know?
- Any conviction of an offense found on the screening tool list, according to ODJFS and ODE's Standard for Licensure, will result in the student's inability to be placed in field sites.
- Any arrest (without conviction) of an offense on the screening tool list, will be up to the discretion of the field site to determine eligibility.
- The price varies depending on where you get your background checks completed. However, prices range $50-$70 USD, with an average of $63 USD.
- Refer to your specific campus/program for submission and copy requirements.
- Background checks are only good for one year from the date of issue; therefore, you will need a new background check every year you are doing field placements.
For questions about background checks (including where to pick up your background check), please contact email@example.com.