Professor, Department of Educational Studies
Program Area: Philosophy and History of Education
- PhD, Education (Social Foundations), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MAT, Science Education (Physics), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BMEd, Music (French Horn), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Educational Administration
- Gay/Lesbian Studies (LGBTQ)
- History of Education
- Educational leadership and administration
- Gender and sexuality
- Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education (Philosophy of Education)
- Women's Studies
- Jackie Blount (In progress). Freedom for the Teacher: The Life and Thought of Ella Flagg Young.
- Antoinette Errante, Jackie Blount, and Bruce Kimball, eds. (2017). Philosophy and History of Education: Diverse Perspectives on Their Value and Relationship. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Jackie Blount (2005). Fit to Teach: Same-Sex Desire, Gender, and School Work in the Twentieth Century. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Jackie Blount (1998). Destined to Rule the Schools: Women and the Superintendency, 1873-1995. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Jackie Blount (2018). “Individuality, Freedom, and Community: Ella Flagg Young’s Quest for Teacher Empowerment,” History of Education Quarterly 58, 2: 1-24.
- Jackie Blount (2017). “Ella Flagg Young and the Gender Politics of Democracy and Education,” Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era 16, 4: 409-423.
- Jackie Blount (2016, December). “Controlling Sex: Modern Histories of Sex Education.” Reviews in American History 44, 4: 611-20.
- Marilyn Tallerico and Jackie Blount (2004). "Women and the Superintendency: Insights from Theory and History," Educational Administration Quarterly 40, 5: 633-662.
- Jackie Blount (2004). "From Exemplar to Deviant: Same-Sex Relationships among Women Superintendents, 1909-1976," Educational Studies 35, 2: 103-128.
- Jackie Blount (2003). "Homosexuality and School Superintendents: A Brief History," Journal of School Leadership 13, 1: 7-26.
- Jackie Blount (2000). "Spinsters, Mollycoddles, and Other Gender Transgressors in School Employment, 1850-1990," Review of Educational Research 70(1): 83-101.
- Jackie Blount (1999). "Manliness and the Construction of Men's and Women's Work in Schools, 1865-1941," International Journal of Leadership in Education 2(2): 55-68.
- Jackie Blount (1996). "Manly Men and Womanly Women: Deviance, Gender Role Polarization and the Shift in Women's Educational Employment, 1900-1976," Harvard Educational Review (Summer): 318-38.
- Jackie Blount (2017). “The Mutual Intellectual Relationship of John Dewey and Ella Flagg Young: Contributions to Education Series, 1901-1902.” In Philosophy and History of Education: Diverse Perspectives on Their Value and Relationship, edited by Antoinette Errante, Jackie Blount, and Bruce Kimball. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 27-38.
- Jackie Blount (2015). "Teachers and Other Educators." In AERA Report: Research on LGBTQ Issues in Education. Washington, DC: AERA.
- Jackie Blount (2013). "Educational Leadership through Equity, Diversity, and Social Justice and Educational Leadership for the Privilege Imperative: The Historical Dialectic." In Handbook of Research on Educational Leadership for Diversity and Equity, eds. James Scheurich and Linda Tillman. NY: Routledge.