Dr. Hessler teaches special education courses at The Ohio State University at Newark. Having been both a general educator (secondary English/language arts) and special educator (secondary intervention specialist), she provides an experienced perspective for pre-service and in-service teachers. Her research agenda has focused on improving outcomes for secondary students, and she is begun a new line that investigates strategies for teaching students of all ages who struggle with reading, especially those with dyslexia.
- PhD, Special Education - Applied Behavior Analysis, The Ohio State University, 2005
- MA in Teaching, Secondary Education, Kent State University, 1990
- BA, English, Kent State University, 1988
- Adolescent and At-Risk Youth
- Effective reading instruction
- Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching
- Kindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching
- Reading Teacher Education
- Certified Master Trainer-Institutional Level (CMT-IL) in Yoshimoto Approach to Reading Instruction
- Multi-sensory, structure-of-language, systematic, explicit instruction approach (Orton-Gillingham)
- Secondary Education and Teaching
- Special Education
- Applied behavior analysis
- Teacher Education
- Clinical field supervision
- Special education and inclusion coursework for regular education teachers
- Urban Education
Hessler is currently working on a project with undergraduate students to study the effectiveness of intervention to improve the vocabulary of adolescents and adults with dyslexia.
- OSU Newark, Associate Professor, 20012 to present
- OSU Newark, Assistant Professor, 2005-2012
- Board of Directors, COBIDA (Central Ohio Branch of the International Dyslexia Association), 2013 to present
- Charter Vice-President & organizational originator, OHABA (Ohio Chapter of the Association of Behavior Analysis International, 2009-2011
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, 2009-2010. TEACHING Exceptional Children & Education and Treatment of Children
- Classroom Teacher 1991-2002 (middle and secondary English/language arts; middle school reading & social studies, secondary intervention specialist)
- Funded Program Planning Grant. (2011). "Teacher Prep-IS-HQT: Intervention Specialist Teacher Preparation Program Redesign. U.S. Department of Education via Ohio Dept. of Ed. Principal Investigator. $99,998.
- Funded Program Implementation Grant. (2012). "Teacher Prep-IS-HQT: Intervention Specialist Teacher Preparation Program Redesign. U.S. Department of Education via Ohio Dept. of Ed. Co- Investigator. $99,854.
- Fishley, K. M., Konrad, M., Hessler, T., & Keesey, S. (2012). "Effects of GO FASTER on Morpheme Definition Fluency for High School Students with High-Incidence Disabilities." Learning Disabilities Research & Practice, 27(3), 104-115.
- Hessler, T., Konrad, M., & Alber-Morgan, S. (2009). 20 ways to assess student writing. Intervention in School and Clinic, 45(1), 68-71.
- Geisler, J., Hessler, T., Gardner, III, R., & Lovelace, T. (2009). Differentiated writing interventions for high achieving urban African American elementary students. Journal of Advanced Academics, 20(2), 214-247.
- Hessler, T., & Konrad, M. (2009). Using curriculum-based measurement to drive IEPs and instruction in written expression. TEACHING Exceptional Children, 41(2), 28-37.
- Alber-Morgan, S., Hessler, T., Konrad, M., & (2007). Teaching writing for keeps. Education and Treatment of Children, 30(3), 107-128.
- Konrad, M. & Hessler, T. (2011) "Effects of Spellography Instruction with Supplemental Scripts on Spelling of Children (and Adults) With Writing Disabilities." Presented at Ohio State Writers Talk Columbus Campus.
- Konrad, M., Alber-Morgan, S., & Hessler, T. (2010, April). READY, AIM, WRITE! Paper presented at the Council for Exceptional Children Annual Convention, Nashville, TN.
- Hessler, T. (2009, May). Using research articles to teach general education pre- and in-service teachers about evidence-based instructional strategies. Symposium presented at the 35th Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International Conf., Phoenix, AZ.
- Alber-Morgan, S., Hessler, T., Konrad, M. (2007, May). Teaching writing for keeps. Presented at the 2007 Annual Convention of the Council for Exceptional Children, Louisville, KY.
- Hessler, T., Malone, H.,I., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2006, November). High-tech ways to increase active engagement among preservice and inservice teachers. Presentation at the 29th Annual Conference of the Teacher Education Division of the Council for Exceptional Children, Louisville, KY.
- Hessler, T. L., & Konrad, M. (2006, May). Curriculum-based measurement: A "write" way. Symposium presented at the 32nd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International Conference, Atlanta, GA.