Dr. Richard Lomax is professor of Quantitative Research, Evaluation and Measurement in the Department of Educational Studies. He also serves as Associate Dean of Research and Administration in the College of Education and Human Ecology.
His research primarily focuses on multivariate analysis and models of literacy acquisition, resulting in numerous articles and three statistics textbooks. He has published in diverse journals such as Reading Research Quarterly, Parenting: Science and Practice, Understanding Statistics: Statistical Issues in Psychology, Education, and the Social Sciences, Violence Against Women, Journal of Early Adolescence, The Journal of Negro Education, Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Quarterly, International Journal of Computer Science in Sport, and International Journal of Sports Medicine.
He has also served as a Fulbright Scholar on three different occasions. Dr. Lomax has served as a statistical consultant on numerous funded projects (e.g., NSF, NIMH, FIPSE, and Corporation for Public Broadcasting), has received several teaching, research, service and book awards, and was named an AERA Fellow.
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Educational Research Methodology, 1980
- MA, University of Pittsburgh, Educational Research Methodology, 1978
- MEd, Boston College, Elementary Education, 1995
- BS, St. Joseph's College, Psychology, 1976
- Schumacker, R. E. & Lomax, R. G. (2016). A beginner's guide to structural equation modeling (4th ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Lomax, R. G. & Hahs-Vaughn, D. L. (2012). An introduction to statistical concepts for education and behavioral sciences (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Lomax, R. G. & Hahs-Vaughn, D. L. (2012). Statistical concepts: A second course for education and the behavioral sciences (4th ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Schumacker, R. E. & Lomax, R. G. (2010). A beginner's guide to structural equation modeling (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Lomax, R. G. (2013). Structural equation modeling. In Y. Petscher & C. Schatschneider (Eds.), Applied quantitative analysis in the social sciences (pp. 245-264). New York: Routledge.
- Lomax, R. G. (2010). Factorial designs. In I. B. Weiner & W. E. Craighead (Eds.), The Corsini encyclopedia of psychology, vol. 2 (4th ed.) (pp. 643-645). New York: Wiley.
- Lomax, R. G. (2010). Structural equation modeling: Multisample covariance and mean structures. In G. R. Hancock & R. O. Mueller (Eds.), The reviewer's guide to quantitative methods in the social sciences (pp. 385-395). New York: Routledge.
- Lomax, R. G., & Li, J. (2008). Correlational research. In E. M. Anderman (Ed.), Psychology of classroom learning: An encyclopedia (pp. 275-278). Detroit: Macmillan Reference.
- Lomax, R. G. & Surman, S. H. (2007). Factorial ANOVA in SPSS: Fixed-, random-, and mixed-effects models. In S. S. Sawilowsky (Ed.), Real data analysis. Greenwich CT: Information Age.
- Lomax, R. G. (2006). Fantasy sports: History, game types, and research. In A. A. Raney & J. Bryant (Eds.), Handbook of Sports and Media. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Cain, K., Catts, H., Hogan, T. & Lomax, R.G. (2015). Learning to read: Should we keep things simple? Reading Research Quarterly, 50, 151-169.
- Lomax, R.G. (2013). Statistical accuracy of iPad applications: An initial examination. The American Statistician, 67, 105-108.
- Burnham, J.J., Lomax, R.G. & Hooper, L.M. (2013). Gender, age, and racial differences in self-reported fears among school-aged youth. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 22, 268-278.
- Morris, D., Trathen, W., Lomax, R.G., Perney, J., Kucan, L., Frye, E., Bloodgood, J., Ward, D. & Schlagal, R. (2012). Modeling aspects of print-processing skill: Implications for reading assessment. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 25, 189-215.
- Li, J. & Lomax, R.G. (2011). Analysis of variance: What is your statistical software actually doing? Journal of Experimental Education, 79, 279-294.
- Cabell, S.Q., Lomax, R.G., Justice, L.M., Breit-Smith, A., Skibbe, L.E. & McGinty, A.S. (2010). Emergent literacy profiles of preschool-age children with specific language impairment. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 12, 472-482.
- Lomax, R.G. (2010). Enforcers, grinders, and skilled ice hockey players: Empirical test from a computer simulator. International Journal of Computer Science in Sport, 8(2), 88-94.
- Burnham, J. J., & Lomax, R. G. (2009). Examining ethnicity and fears of children and adolescents in the United States: Differences between White, African American, and Hispanic populations. Journal of Counseling & Development, 87, 387-393.
- Wickwire, P. J., Bishop, P. A., Green, J. M., Richardson, M. T., Lomax, R. G., Casuru, C., & Curtner-Smith, M. (2009). Physiological and comfort effects of a commercial "cooling cap" worn under protective helmets. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 6, 455-459.
- Wickwire, J., Bishop, P. A., Green, J. M., Richardson, M. T., Lomax, R. G., Casuru, C., Jones, E., & Curtner-Smith, M. (2008). Validation of a personal fluid loss monitor. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 29, 139-144.
- Wickwire, J., Bishop, P.A., Green, J. M., Richardson, M. T., Lomax, R. G., Casuru, C.,Curtner-Smith, M., & Doss, B. (2007). Physiological and comfort effects of commercial "wicking" clothing under a bullet proof vest. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 37, 643-651.
- Green, J. M., McLester, J. R., Crews, T. R., Wickwire, P. J., Pritchett, R. C. & Lomax, R. G. (2006). RPE association with lactate and heart rate during high intensity interval cycling. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 38, 167-172.
- Hahs-Vaughn, D. L. & Lomax, R. G. (2006). Utilization of sample weights in single-level structural equation modeling. Journal of Experimental Education, 74, 163-190.
- Lei, M. & Lomax, R. G. (2005). The effect of varying degrees of nonnormality in structural equation modeling. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Quarterly, 12, 1-27.
- Alvermann, D. E., Reinking, D., Lomax, R. G., Beretvas, S. N., Willson, V., Rodriguez, M. C., Taylor, B. M, Pearson, P. D. & Peterson, D. S. (2005). Revealing an exchange between authors and reviewers about statistical significance. Reading Research Quarterly, 40, 6-10.
- Lomax, R. G. (2004). Whither the future of quantitative literacy research? Reading Research Quarterly, 39, 108-112.
- Roy, J. L. P., Richardson, M. T., Smith, J. R., Neggers, Y., Lomax, R. G., Pieroni, R. & Hunter, G. R. (2004). Relationship of plasma homocysteine levels to physical activity and aerobic fitness levels in young men. Biology of Sport, 21, 299-318.
- Husman, J., Derryberry, W. P., Crowson, H. M. & Lomax, R. G. (2004). Instrumentality, task value, and intrinsic motivation: Making sense of their independent interdependence. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 29, 63-76.