Professor, Department of Educational Studies
Program Area: Special Education
Sheila Alber Morgan, PhD, BCBA-D, teaches courses in applied behavior analysis and coordinates the BCBA pre-approved course sequence and field supervision. She taught for several years in inclusive K-12 classrooms in both urban and rural South Carolina and has authored more than 70 peer-reviewed research and practitioner articles, book chapters, books, and textbook ancillaries. Dr. Morgan’s research, almost all of which has been designed and implemented in collaboration with classroom teachers, has focused on literacy interventions for students with and without disabilities and on strategies for promoting the generalization and maintenance of academic, functional, and social skills.
- PhD, Special Education and Applied Behavior Analysis, The Ohio State University, 1997
- MEd, Special Education, College of Charleston, 1992
- BS, Elementary Education, East Texas State University, 1986
- Heward, W. L., with Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2017). Exceptional children: An introduction to special education (11th Edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
- Alber-Morgan, S. (2010). Using RTI to teach literacy to diverse learners, K-8: Strategies for the inclusive classroom. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Sawyer, M., & Miller, H. L. (2015). Teaching Science to young children with special needs. In K. Trundle & M. Saçkes (Eds.) Research in Early Childhood Science Education (pp. 299-324),New York, NY: Springer
- Alber-Morgan, S. & Joseph, L. M. (2013). Using self-questioning, summarizing, and self- monitoring to increase reading comprehension. In R. T. Boon & V. G. Spencer (Eds.), Adolescent Literacy Strategies for Content Comprehension in Inclusive Classrooms, (pp. 125-140) Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Company, Inc.
- Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2011). Implementing multi-tiered writing instruction. In L. Laud (Ed.), Differentiated Instruction in Literacy, Math, and Science (pp.31-53). Thousand Oaks,CA:CorwinPress.
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S.R., & Neef, N. (2016). Applying behavior analytic procedures to effectively teach literacy skills in the classroom. Psychology in the Schools, 53, 73-89.
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Joseph, L. M., Kanotz, B., Rouse, C.A., & Sawyer, M. R. (2016). The effects of word box instruction on acquisition, generalization, and maintenance of decoding and spelling skills for first graders. Education and Treatment of Children, 39, 21-43.
- Bishop, A., Sawyer, M. R., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Boggs, M. (2015). Effects of a graphic organizer training package on the persuasive writing of middle school students with autism. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 50, 290-302.
- Cullen, J. M. & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2015). Technology mediated self-prompting of daily living skills for adolescents and adults with disabilities: A review of the literature. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 50, 43-55.
- Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Cullen, J. M., & Rouse, C. R. (2015). The effects of self- questioning on reading comprehension: A literature review. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 31, 1-22.
- Cullen, J. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Schnell, S.T., Wheaton, J. E. (2014). Improving reading skills of students with disabilities using Headsprout Comprehension. Remedial and Special Education, 35, 356-365.
- Rouse, C. A., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Cullen, J. M., & Sawyer, M. R. (2014). Using prompt fading to teach self-questioning to fifth graders with LD: Effects on reading comprehension. Learning Disabilities Research and Practice, 29, 117-125.
- Rouse, C. A., Everhart-Sherwood, J. M., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2014). Effects of self- monitoring and recruiting teacher attention on pre-vocational skills. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 49, 313-327.
- Garcia, D., Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2014). Efficiency of oral incremental rehearsal versus written incremental rehearsal on students’ rate, retention, and generalization of spelling words. School Psychology Forum, 8, 113-129.
- Cullen, J. M., Keesey, S., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Wheaton, J. (2013). The effects of computer assisted instruction using Kurzweil 3000 on sight-word acquisition for students with mild disabilities, Education and Treatment of Children, 36, 87-103.
- Everhart, J. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Park, J. (2011). Effects of computer-based practice on the acquisition and maintenance of basic academic skills for children with moderate to intensive educational needs. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 46, 556-564.
- Park, J., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Fleming, C. (2011). Collaborating with parents to implement behavioral interventions for children with challenging behaviors. Teaching Exceptional Children, 43, 22-30.
- Park, J., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Cannella-Malone, H. I. (2011). Effects of mother-implemented picture exchange communication system (PECS) training on independent communicative behaviors of young children with autism spectrum disorders. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 31, 37-47.