Professor, Department of Educational Studies
Program Area: Special Education
Sheila Alber Morgan, PhD, BCBA-D, teaches courses in applied behavior analysis and coordinates the BCBA pre-approved course sequence and field supervision. She taught for several years in inclusive K-12 classrooms in both urban and rural South Carolina and has authored more than 70 peer-reviewed research and practitioner articles, book chapters, books, and textbook ancillaries. Dr. Morgan’s research, almost all of which has been designed and implemented in collaboration with classroom teachers, has focused on literacy interventions for students with and without disabilities and on strategies for promoting the generalization and maintenance of academic, functional, and social skills.
- PhD, Special Education and Applied Behavior Analysis, The Ohio State University, 1997
- MEd, Special Education, College of Charleston, 1992
- BS, Elementary Education, East Texas State University, 1986
- Heward, W. L., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2017). Exceptional children: An introduction to special education (11th Edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
- Alber-Morgan, S. (2010). Using RTI to teach literacy to diverse learners, K-8: Strategies for the inclusive classroom. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Konrad, M., Hessler, T., Helton, M. R., & Oif, A. (2019). Identify and prioritize short- and long-term learning goals. In J. McLeskey, L. Maheady, B. Billingsley, M. Brownell, & Tim Lewis (Eds.). HLPs for Inclusive Classrooms. New York: Routledge.
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Helton, M. R., Oif, A., & Konrad, M. (2019). Adapt curriculum tasks and materials for specific learning goals. In J. McLeskey, L. Maheady, B. Billingsley, M. Brownell, & Tim Lewis (Eds.). HLPs for Inclusive Classrooms. New York: Routledge.
- Konrad, M., Hessler, T., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Davenport, C. A., & Helton, M. R. (2019). Systematically design instruction toward a specific goal. In J. McLeskey, L. Maheady, B. Billingsley, M. Brownell, & Tim Lewis (Eds.). HLPs for Inclusive Classrooms. New York: Routledge.
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Sawyer, M., & Miller, H. L. (2015). Teaching science to young children with special needs. In K. Trundle & M. Saçkes (Eds.) Research in Early Childhood Science Education (pp. 299-324), New York, NY: Springer
- Alber-Morgan, S. & Joseph, L. M. (2013). Using self-questioning, summarizing, and self- monitoring to increase reading comprehension. In R. T. Boon & V. G. Spencer (Eds.), Adolescent Literacy Strategies for Content Comprehension in Inclusive Classrooms, (pp. 125-140) Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Company, Inc.
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REFEREED JOURNALS
- Rouse-Billman, C. A., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2019). Effects of a self-questioning prompt fading strategy on fourth graders’ reading comprehension. Preventing School Failure, 63, 352-358.
- Davenport, C. Konrad, M., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2019). Effects of behavioral skills training on teacher implementation of a reading racetrack intervention. Education and Treatment of Children, 42, 385-407.
- Holland, S., Holland, K., Haegele, J.A., & Alber-Morgan, S. (2019). Making it stick: Teaching students with autism to generalize physical education skills. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance, 90, 32-29.
- Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Amspaugh, L., Ross, K., Helton, M. Konrad, M., & Davenport, C. (2019). Stop to Ask and Respond (STAR): Effects of a small-group self-questioning intervention on reading comprehension performance. Research and Practice in the Schools
- Davenport, C. Konrad, M., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2018). Effects of reading racetracks on sight word acquisition for deaf kindergarteners. Journal of Deaf Education and Deaf Studies, 24, 173-185
- Helton, M. R., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2018). Improving young children’s behavior with GAMES: Group-contingency approaches for managing elementary-classroom settings. Young Exceptional Children (on line first: https://doi.org/10.1177/1096250618798340)
- Helton, M. R., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2018). Helping Parents Understand Applied Behavior Analysis: Creating a Parent Guide in 10 Steps. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 11, 496-503.
- Kranak, M. P., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Sawyer, M. R. (2017). A parametric analysis of specific praise rates on the on-task behavior of elementary students with autism. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities
- Cullen, J. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Simmons-Reed, E., Izzo, M. (2017). Effects of self-directed video prompting using iPads on the vocational task completion of young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Vocational Rehabilitation, 46, 361-375.
- Davenport, C. A., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Clancy, S., & Kranak, M. P. (2017). Effects of a picture racetrack game on the expressive language of deaf preschoolers. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 22, 326-335.
- Davenport, C. & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2016). I have a child with a cochlear implant in my preschool classroom. Now what? Teaching Exceptional Children, 49, 41-48.
- Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S.R., & Neef, N. (2016). Applying behavior analytic procedures to effectively teach literacy skills in the classroom. Psychology in the Schools, 53, 73-89.
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Joseph, L. M., Kanotz, B., Rouse, C.A., & Sawyer, M. R. (2016). The effects of word box instruction on acquisition, generalization, and maintenance of decoding and spelling skills for first graders. Education and Treatment of Children, 39, 21-43.
- Bishop, A., Sawyer, M. R., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Boggs, M. (2015). Effects of a graphic organizer training package on the persuasive writing of middle school students with autism. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 50, 290-302.
- Cullen, J. M. & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2015). Technology mediated self-prompting of daily living skills for adolescents and adults with disabilities: A review of the literature.
- Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 50, 43-55.
- Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Cullen, J. M., & Rouse, C. R. (2015). The effects of self- questioning on reading comprehension: A literature review. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 31, 1-22.
- Cullen, J. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Schnell, S.T., Wheaton, J. E. (2014). Improving reading skills of students with disabilities using Headsprout Comprehension. Remedial and Special Education, 35, 356-365.
- Rouse, C. A., Alber-Morgan, S. R., Cullen, J. M., & Sawyer, M. R. (2014). Using prompt fading to teach self-questioning to fifth graders with LD: Effects on reading comprehension. Learning Disabilities Research and Practice, 29, 117-125.
- Rouse, C. A., Everhart-Sherwood, J. M., & Alber-Morgan, S. R. (2014). Effects of self- monitoring and recruiting teacher attention on pre-vocational skills. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 49, 313-327.
- Garcia, D., Joseph, L. M., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2014). Efficiency of oral incremental rehearsal versus written incremental rehearsal on students’ rate, retention, and generalization of spelling words. School Psychology Forum, 8, 113-129.