- EdD, Measurement and Evaluation, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1993
- MS, Statistics, University of Connecticut, 1985
- BA, Mathematics, Western New England College, 1983
- Fulbright Scholar, Ethiopia, Addis Ababa University (7 months) 2013-2014.
- Recipient, Educational Statisticians’ Outstanding Service Award. American Educational Research Association, April, 2014.
- Recipient, Lorne H. Woolatt Distinguished Paper Award, Northeastern Educational Research Association (NERA), with Jessica Goldstein (graduate student), 2004.
- Honorable Mention, Research Brief on Ability Grouping in Kindergarten; National Association for Gifted Children, with D. Betsy McCoach (graduate student), 2002.
- Recipient, College of Education Outstanding Award for Research, 1999. University of Memphis.
- Volunteer of the Month, December 1995: Friends for Life HIV Resources, Memphis, TN.
- Nominated, College of Education Teaching Award, 1994. University of Memphis.
- O'Connell, A.A. & McCoach, D.B. (Eds.) (2008). Multilevel Modeling of Educational Data. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- O'Connell, A.A. (2006). Logistic Regression Models for Ordinal Response Variables. Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- O’Connell, A.A., Logan, J., Pentimonti, J. & McCoach, D.B. (2013). Linear and Quadratic Growth Models for Continuous and Dichotomous Outcomes. In Y. Petscher & C. Schatschneider (Eds.). Applied Quantitative Analysis in the Social Sciences, NY: Routledge.
- McCoach, D.B., Madura, J., Rambo, K., O’Connell, A.A. & Welsh, M. (2013). Longitudinal data analysis. In T. Teo (Ed.), Handbook of Quantitative Methods for Educational Research. Sense Publications.
- O'Connell, A.A. & Amico, K.R. (2010). Logistic Regression. In The Reviewers Guide to Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences, Gregory R. Hancock and Ralph O. Mueller (Eds.). Routledge.
- Snyder, L. & O'Connell, A.A. (2008). Event History Analysis for Communications Research. In Sage Handbook of Advanced Data Analysis Methods for Communication Research, M.D. Slater, A.F. Hayes, and L. B. Snyder, (Eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- O'Connell, A.A., Goldstein, J., Rogers, J. & Peng, C.J. (2008). Multilevel Logistic Models for Dichotomous and Ordinal Data. In Multilevel Modeling of Educational Data, Ann A. O'Connell and D.Betsy McCoach (Eds.). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- O'Connell, A.A. & McCoach, D.B. (2008). Introduction: Pedagogy and Context for Multilevel Modeling. In Multilevel Modeling of Educational Data, Ann A. O'Connell and D.Betsy McCoach (Eds.). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- O’Connell, A.A., Reed, S. & Serovich, J. (in press). The efficacy of serostatus disclosure for HIV transmission risk reduction. AIDS and Behavior.
- Anderman, E.M., Gimbert, B., O’Connell, A.A. & Riegel, L. (in press). Approaches to academic growth assessment. British Journal of Educational Psychology. (Invited submission for special issue).
- Yaeger-Pelatti, C., Piasta, S., O’Connell, AA, & Justice, LJ (in press). Language- and literacy-learning opportunities in early childhood classrooms: Children's typical experiences and within-classroom variability. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 29(4), 445-456.
- LARRC. (In press). Use of the curriculum research framework (CRF) for developing a reading-comprehension curricular supplement for the primary grades. Elementary School Journal.
- LARRC, Pratt, A. & Logan, J. (in press). Improving language-focused comprehension instruction in primary-grade classrooms: impacts of the let’s know! experimental curriculum. Educational Psychology Review.
- Schmitt, M.B., Justice, L. M., & O’Connell, A.A. (2014). Vocabulary gain among children with language disorders: Contributions of children’s behavior regulation and emotionally-supportive environments. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 23, 373-384. doi:10.1044/2014_AJSLP-12-0148
- Wardwell, KK, Focht, BC, DeVries, AC, O’Connell, AA, Buckworth, J (2013). Affective Responses to Self-Selected and Imposed Walking in Inactive High Stress Women: A Pilot Study. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 53(6), 701-712.
- Graham, JE, Deutsch, A, O’Connell, AA, Karmarkar, AM, Granger, CV, Ottenbacher, KJ (2013). Inpatient rehabilitation volume and functional outcomes in stroke, lower extremity fracture, and lower extremity joint replacement. Medical Care, 51(5), 404-412.
- Hsu, Y-T., Buckworth, J., Focht, B. & O’Connell, A.A. (2013). Feasibility of a self-determination theory-based exercise intervention promoting Healthy at Every Size with sedentary overweight women: Project CHANGE. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14, 283-292.
- O’Connell, A.A. & Reed, S. (2012). Hierarchical data structures, institutional research, and multilevel modeling. In J. Lott & J. Antony (Eds.) (Special Issue), New Directions in Institutional Research, 154, 5-22.
- Li, J. & O’Connell, A.A. (2012). Obesity, high-calorie food intake, and academic achievement trends among US school children. Journal of Educational Research, 105, 391-403.
- Tull, M.C. & O’Connell, A.A. (2012). Investments in human capital pay dividends for courts. Future Trends in State Courts: Special Focus on Courts and Community. National Center for State Courts.
- O’Connell, A.A., Liu, X. (2011). Model diagnostics for proportional and partial proportional odds models. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 10(1),139-175.
- Liu, X., O’Connell, A.A., Koirala, H. (2011). Ordinal regression analysis: Predicting mathematics proficiency using the continuation ratio model. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 10(2), 513-527.
- O’Connell, A.A. & Gray. D.L. (2011). Cause and event: Supporting causal claims through logistic models. Educational Psychology Review, 23(2), 245-261.
- Osborn CY, Amico KR, Cruz N, Perez-Escamilla R, Kalichman SC, O'Connell A, Wolf SA, Fisher JD. (2011). Development and implementation of a culturally tailored diabetes intervention in primary care. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy, Research, 1(3), 468-479.
- Anderman, E.M., Cupp, P.K., Lane, D.R., Zimmerman, R., Gray, D. & O’Connell, A.A. (2011). Classroom goal structures and HIV/pregnancy prevention education in rural high school health classrooms. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 21(4), 904-922.
- Gray, D. L., Anderman, E. M., & O'Connell, A. A. (2011). Associations of teacher credibility and teacher affinity with learning outcomes in health classrooms. Social Psychology of Education: An International Journal.
- Sackes, M., Trundle, K.C., Bell, R.L., & O'Connell, A.A. (2011). The influence of early science experience in kindergarten on children's immediate and later science achievement: Evidence from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study. Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
- Osborn CY, Amico KR, Cruz N, O'Connell A, Perez-Escamilla R, Kalichman SC, Wolf SA, Fisher, JD. (2010). A brief culturally-tailored intervention for Puerto Ricans with Type 2 diabetes. Health Education and Behavior.