Charis Lauren Price is an Assistant Professor of Special Education. She received her PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She was previously a faculty member at The University of Missouri-St. Louis. She teaches courses on early childhood special education assessment and applied behavior analysis for teachers. Dr. Price is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral and a former Reading Specialist. She has supported young children in public schools, homes, and clinical settings. Dr. Price is the area coordinator for Early Childhood Special Education. She joined The Ohio State University in Autumn 2018.
- PhD, Special Education, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MSEd, Reading/Writing/Literacy, The University of Pennsylvania
- BM, Cello Performance, The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Price’s scholarship focuses on two lines of research, training teachers on evidence-based practices within the framework of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) to reduce suspension and expulsion of preschool children; and identifying effective home-school partnership practices for families with young children with challenging behavior. Her research aims to improve intervention services for children, family relationships with schools, and school climate within inclusive, urban early childhood environments. She is the primary investigator for two research projects currently in progress:
Project SEE: Examining the Experiences of Key Stakeholders Involved in the Suspension and Expulsion Process in Early Childhood
Project HEAR+T: High-quality Evidence-based Antecedent interventions with SR+ Training
Dr. Price is the head of the PACES Research Lab and is currently accepting doctoral students.
Primary Investigator, Office of Research Seed Grant “Emerging Scholars Program” College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University. ($36,782). Project HEAR+T Implementation of a Multi-Component Intervention to Teach Behavioral Expectations. (funded), 2018.
- Price, C. L., & Lewis, T. (under review). Implementation of a social-emotional intervention package to teach behavioral expectations in early childhood: A pilot study
- Price, C. L., Light-Shriner, C. L., Pizzella, D. M. (under review). Using collaborative strategies to bridge perspectives on behavioral interventions with preschoolers with disabilities.
- Price, C., Pustejovsky, J., Ostrosky, M. M., & Santos, R. M. (under review). Examining the efficacy of social stories: A Meta-Analysis.
- Price, C., & Steed, E. (2016). Culturally responsive strategies to support young children with challenging behavior. Young Children, 71(5), 36-43.
- Price, C. L., Ostrosky, M. M., & Santos, R. M. (2016). Strategies for reflecting on books that include characters with disabilities. Young Children, 71(2), 30-37.
- Price, C. L., Ostrosky, M. M., & Mouzourou, C.(2015).Exploring representations of characters with disabilities in library books. Early Childhood Journal, 44(6), 563-572. doi: 10.1007/s10643-015-0740-3.
- Thompson, C. K., Cho, S., Price, C., Wieneke, C., Bonakdarpour, B., Rogalski, E., Weintraub, S., & Mesulam, M. M. (2012). Semantic interference during object naming in agrammatic and logopenic Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA). Brain and Language, 120, 237-250.
- Price, C.(2018, November). Implementation of a social-emotional package to teach behavioral expectations: A pilot study. Research presentation presented at the Nisonger Center. Columbus, Ohio.
- Price, C. (2018, September). Implementation of a social-emotional intervention to teach preschoolers behavior expectations: A pilot study. Research presentation presented at Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and Policy. Columbus, Ohio.
- Price, C. L., Powers, L., & Steed, E. A. (2018, October). School suspension and expulsion: Perspectives of Diverse Families. Session presented at the Division for Early Childhood. Orlando, FL.
- Price, C. L., & Powers, L. (2018, March). Partnering with families of young children with challenging behavior. Session presented at the Association for Positive Behavior Support. San Diego, CA.
- Price, C. L., & Light-Shriner, S. (2017, October). Bridging roles for supporting children with challenging behavior. Session presented at Sharing A Vision. Springfield, Illinois.
- Price, C. (2017, February). Relationship based strategies for addressing challenging behavior in young children. Session presented at the annual Missouri Division for Early Childhood Conference.
- Joseph, J. D. & Price, C. (2015, April). Does “One size fit all?” Equitable practices for addressing challenging behaviors and conflict. Session presented at the 12th annual National Training Institute on Effective Practices for Addressing Challenging Behavior.
- Ostrosky, M. M., & Price, C. (2013, March). An introduction to the Pyramid Model: What every NTI “Newbie” should know. Session presented at the 10th annual National Training Institute on Effective Practices for Addressing Challenging Behavior. Clearwater, FL.