- BA, Sociology, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
- MA, Higher Education and Student Affairs, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Ed.D., Educational Policy and Leadership, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
- Barnes, A.C. & Larcus, J. (2015). Positive psychology as a framework for leadership development in recreation and sport. In Donald A. Stenta & Cara W. McFadden (Eds.), New Directions for Student Leadership, 147, 77-87.
- Dugan, J.P., Turman, N.T., Barnes, A., & Associates (2017). Leadership theory: A facilitator’s guide for cultivating critical perspectives. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Foubert, J., Nixon, M., Sisson, S., & Barnes, A. (2005). A longitudinal study of Chickering and Reisser's vectors: Exploring gender differences and implications for refining the theory. Journal of College Student Development, 46(5), 461-471
- Metcalf, M. & Barnes, A.C. (2015). Innovative leadership workbook for college students. Tucson, AZ: Integral Publishers.