Vice Chair, Department of Human Sciences
Professor, Department of Human Sciences
Program Area: Kinesiology
Dr. Brian C. Focht is an professor of Kinesiology in the Department of Human Sciences. His research and professional interest is in the area of exercise and health psychology/behavior with a particular emphasis on exercise oncology, physical activity promotion in chronic disease prevention/management and the effects of exercise on quality of life/psychological well-being. Dr. Focht is the Director of the Exercise and Behavioral Medicine Lab and an associate member of The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center and Food Innovation Center. Dr. Focht has more than 60 refereed publications and his research has been funded by the National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal, and Skin Disorders, LIVESTRONG Foundation, and the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center and Food Innovation Center. Dr. Focht is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, a National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and has served as a consultant to the National Institutes of Health, Italian Ministry of Health, and Canadian Cancer Society.
- PhD, Health and Human Performance, University of Florida, 2000
- MS, Exercise Science, University of Florida, 1997
- BS, Exercise Science, East Stroudsburg University, 1994
- Behavioral Aspects of Health
- Exercise Physiology
- Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Exercise oncology
- Lifestyle interventions in health promotion in chronic disease prevention
- Management effects of exercise on quality of life/psychological well-being
- Public Health Education and Promotion
Following are current research projects Dr. Focht is investigating:
- Improving Maintenance of Physical Activity in Knee Osteoarthritis Patients Pilot Trial (IMPACT-P)
- Individualized Diet and Exercise Adherence in Prostate Cancer Patients Pilot Trial (IDEA-P)
- Mindfulness-based lifestyle intervention in endometrial cancer survivors
- Social cognitive correlates of physical activity in breast cancer patients
- Focht, B.C., Clinton, S.K, Lucas, A., Grainger, E., & Thomas-Ahner, J. (2014). Lifestyle intervention for prostate cancer patients undergoing androgen deprivation therapy: Methods and Design of the Individualized Diet and Exercise Adherence Pilot Trial (IDEA-P). Trials. E-pub ahead of in print Sept. 2014.
- Focht, B.C., Garver, M., Devor, S.T., Dials, J., Lucas, A.R., Emery, C., Hackshaw, K.V., & Rejeski, W.J. (2014). Group-mediated physical activity promotion and mobility performance in sedentary, older knee osteoarthritis patients: Results from the IMPACT-P trial. Journal of Rheumatology, 41, 2068-2077.
- Focht, B.C., Clinton, S.K, Lucas, A., Saunders, N., Grainger, E., & Thomas-Ahner, J. (2014) Effects of exercise on disablement process model outcomes in prostate cancer patients undergoing ADT: A systematic review. Journal of Community and Supportive Oncology, 12, 278-292.
- Garver, M., Focht, B.C., Devor, S.T., Dials, J., Rose, M., Lucas, A.R., Emery, C., & Hackshaw, K. (2014). Weight status, functional performance and pain symptoms in knee osteoarthritis: Evidence from IMPACT-P Trial. Arthritis.
- Wardwell, K.K., Focht, B.C., DeVries, A.C., O’Connell, A.A., & Buckworth, J. (2014). Affective response to self-selected and imposed intensity walking in women with high stress. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 53, 701-712.
- Focht, B.C. (2014). Exercise and quality of life. The encyclopedia of sport and exercise psychology (Robert Eklund and Gershon Tennanbaum, Eds.), pp 571-573. Sage
- Hsu, Y.T., Buckworth, J.A., Focht, B.C., & O’Connell, A.A. (2013). Feasibility of a self-determination theory-based exercise intervention promoting health at every size with sedentary, overweight women. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14, 283-292.
- Yoon, S., Buckworth, J., & Focht, B.C. (2013). Exercise and feelings of energy and fatigue in college students. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 35, 612-624.
- Focht, B.C., Lucas, A., & Clinton, S.K. (2013). Resistance exercise interventions across the cancer control continuum. Resistance training in the treatment and prevention of chronic disease (William J. Kraemer and Joseph T. Ciccolo, Eds), pp 45-64. Taylor & Francis.
- Focht, B.C. (2013). Effects of ten-minute and thirty-minute walks on affective responses and correlates of motivation to walk for exercise in sedentary, overweight women. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 14, 759-766.
- Focht, B.C., Clinton, S.K., Devor, S.T., Lucas, A., Garver, M, Thomas-Ahner, J., and Grainger, E. (2013). Resistance exercise interventions during and following cancer treatment: A systematic review. Journal of Supportive Oncology, 11, 45-60.
- Focht, B.C. (2012). Exercise and health-related quality of life. The handbook of exercise psychology (Edward Acevedo, Ed), pp 97-116. Oxford University Press.