Cyphert Distinguished Prof, Department of Educational Studies
Program Area: Learning Technologies
- PhD, Instructional Psychology and Technology, University of Oklahoma
- MEd, Instructional Psychology and Technology, University of Oklahoma
- BS, Information Technology, Central China Normal University
- Educational Psychology
- Motivation, engagement, and self-regulation in digital learning
- Social interaction and social conflict in collaborative learning
- Team leadership in small group learning
- Educational/Instructional Technology
- Digital learning design
- Technology integration professional development;
- Learning Technologies
- Computer-supported collaborative learning
- Educational games and learning
- Experience-sampling research methodology
- Learning analytics and modeling
- Technology Integration
- Technology Teacher Education
- Using Learning Analytics in Examining Students’ Learning Habits in Online Nursing Classes. PI, Learning Analytics Seed Grant, Translational Data Analytics, The Ohio State University (Funded for $24,970 with $25,010 matching fund from EHE; In collaboration with EHE Research Methodological Center). Award period: 01/2016-08/2016.
- Read It Again - Mobile, Technology-Supported Language & Literacy Intervention for Preschoolers At-Risk (RIA-Mobile),
Co-PI, Institution for Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. (Funded for $1,499,972; In collaboration with Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and Policy). Award period: 09/01/2015-08/30/2018.
- College Ready Ohio, Co-PI, Straight A Fund, Ohio Department of Education. (Funded for $13,523,301; In collaboration with Office of Distance Education and Elearning), Award period: 07/01/2014-06/30/2020.
- EDCITE: Evaluating Digital Content for Instructional and Teaching Excellence, Co-PI, Straight A Fund, Ohio Department of Education. (Funded for $8,386,024; In collaboration with Ohio Resource Center), Award period: 07/01/2014-06/30/2020.
- Reducing Special Education Reading Risk through an Oral Reading Fluency for Urban learners, Co-PI, Institute for Educational Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. ($1,394,851) Award period: 07/01/2012-06/30/2015.
- Integrating Web2.0 collaboration tools to promote students’ motivation in “Learning and Motivation Strategies for Success in College”, PI, Impact Grant of Learning Technologies, The Ohio State University. ($43,350 with $31,000 from Learning Technology). Award
- Connecting Climate Science and Inquiry in K-6 Classrooms, Co-PI, Board of Regents, Ohio Department of Education ($102,958). Award period: 07/01/2013-06/30/2014.
- Xie, K. & Huang, K. (2014). The role of beliefs and motivation in asynchronous online learning in college-level classes. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 50(3), 317-343.
- Xie, K., Yu, C., & Bradshaw, A.C. (2014). Impacts of role assignment and participation in asynchronous discussions in college-level online classes. The Internet and Higher Education, 20, 10-19.
- Xie, K., Miller, N.C., & Allison, J.R. (2013). Toward a social conflict evolution model: Examining the adverse power of conflictual social interaction in online learning. Computers and Education, 63, 404-415.
- Xie, K. (2013). What do the numbers say? The influence of motivation and peer feedback on students’ behavior in online discussions. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44(2), 288-301.
- Hardré, P.L., Crowson, H.M., & Xie, K. (2012). Examining Contexts-of-Use for Web-Based and Paper-Based Questionnaires. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 72(6), 1015-1038.
- Tollison, S. & Xie, K. (2012). Preparing students in online debates with worked examples. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 47(2), 155-174.
- Xie, K., & Ke, F. (2011). The role of students’ motivation in peer-moderated asynchronous online discussions. British Journal of Educational Technology, 42(6), 916-930.
- Xie, K., Durrington, V.A., & Yen, L.L. (2011). Relationship between students’ motivation and their participation in asynchronous online discussions. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 7(1), 17-29.
- Xie, K., & Ke, F. (2010). Supporting problem solving with instructional technology. In R. Ouyang & X. Wang (eds.), Series on Western Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences: Instructional Technology (pp. 323-344). China Renmin University Press: Beijing.
- Ke, F., & Xie, K. (2010). Use of technology for teaching reading and writing. In R. Ouyang & X. Wang (eds.), Series on Western Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences: Instructional Technology (pp. 253-266). China Renmin University Press: Beijing.
- Hardré, P.L., Crowson, H.M., & Xie, K. (2010). Differential Effects of Web-Based and Paper-Based Administration of Questionnaire Research Instruments in Authentic Contexts-of-Use, Journal of Educational Computing Research, 42(1), 103-133.
- Ke, F., & Xie, K. (2009). Toward deep learning in adult-oriented online courses: The impact of course design strategies. The Internet and Higher Education, 12(3-4), 136-145.
- Xie, K., & Bradshaw, A.C. (2008). Using question prompts to support ill-structured problem solving in online peer collaborations, International Journal of Technology in Teaching and Learning, 4(2), 148-165.
- Kauffman, D., Ge, X., Xie, K., & Chen, C.H. (2008). Prompting in web-based environments: Supporting self-monitoring and problem solving skills in college students. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 38(2), 115-137.
- Xie, K., & Gu, M. (2007). Advancing cooperative extension with Podcast technology. Journal of Extension, 45(5). Retrieved October 29, 2007, from http://www.joe.org/joe/2007october/tt2.shtml
- Hardré, P.L., Crowson, H.M., Xie, K., & Ly, C. (2007) Testing differential effects of Computer-Based, Web-Based and Paper-Based administration of questionnaire research instruments, British Journal of Educational Technology, 38(1), 5-22.
- Hardré, P.L., Miller, R.B., Beasley, A., Pace, T., Maxwell, M.S. & Xie, K. (2007). What motivates university faculty members to do research?: Tenure-track faculty in research-extensive universities. Journal of the Professoriate, 2(1), 75-99.
- Xie, K., DeBacker, T.K., & Ferguson, C. (2006). Extending the traditional classroom through online discussion: The role of student motivation, Journal of Educational Computing Research, 34(1), 67-89.
- Thomas, M.K., & Xie, K. (2006). Lesson plan sites, the open source movement and teachers’ communities of practice: Trends and change in the support of instructional design. Malaysian Journal of Educational Technology, 6(2), 9-20.
- Hardré, P.L., Xie, K., & Ly, C. (2005). Production and data management issues for digital administration of questionnaires. Journal of Performance Improvement, 44(5), 33-39.