Contact information for regional faculty members is located on the main College Directory.
Paul F. Granello is associate professor of counselor education in the Department of Educational Studies. He graduated with his MS in mental health counseling from Stetson University in 1990, and his PhD in counselor education was awarded in 1995 from Ohio University. He is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor with supervising credentials. He also has a private practice - "The Wellness Institute" in Worthington, Ohio.
Granello is a founding partner with the Ohio Department of Mental Health in establishing the Ohio Suicide Prevention Foundation. He is currently the recipient of the $1.5 million in federal funds for suicide prevention under the Garrett Lee Smith Act. He has presented and trained on suicide over 200 workshops. He has currently co-authored four books on suicide for Allyn & Bacon and Prentice Hall publishers.Most recently, he has written the first counseling textbook for Prentice Hall publishers on Individual Wellness.
He conducts research on psychotherapy outcomes and the psychological and social characteristics of individual well being. He has published more than 25 articles in peer reviewed national journals, has authored nine book chapters on suicide, anxiety, technology in counseling, and wellness.
Granello has presented at state, national, and international conferences on topics related to counseling, suicide, and wellness. He is also dedicated to the local community and has provided numerous workshops on health and wellness topics for both the OhioState and Columbus communities. He currently is a member of The Ohio State University Campus Wellness Collaborative. Granello received the David Brooks award for Meritorious Service from the Ohio Counseling Association in 2002, the Ohio Association for Counselor Education award for professional service in 2006, and the OhioUniversity distinguished alumni award in 2007.
- PhD, Counselor Education, Ohio University, 1995
- MS, Mental Health Counseling, Stetson University, 1990
- BA, Psychology, Stetson University, 1987
- Adolescent and At-Risk Youth
- Behavioral Aspects of Health
- Goal Achievement
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services
- Clinical Mental Health
- Suicide and Trauma
- Technology in Counseling
- Family Systems
- Public Health Education and Promotion
- Suicide Prevention
- Wellness Education
- Co-Investigator (2009-2012), The Ohio State University Campus Suicide Prevention Program. Funded by: Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration, $300,000.
- Principal Investigator (2007-2010), The Ohio Youth Suicide Prevention and Risk Assessment Project. Funded by: Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration, $1.2 million.
- Co-Investigator (2007-2010), The Ohio State University Campus Suicide Prevention Program. Funded by: Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration, $225,000.
- Principal Investigator (2007), A Violence Prevention K-12 Curriculum. Funded by: Ohio Department of Education, $125,000.
- Principal Investigator (2005-2007), Proposal For The Development Of A Memo Of Understanding Between The Ohio State University And The Ohio Suicide Prevention Foundation. Funded by: Ohio Department of Mental Health, $670,000.
- Principal Investigator (2005-2007), Proposal For The Development Of A Memo Of Understanding Between The Ohio State University And The Ohio Suicide Prevention Foundation. Funded by: Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services, $115,000.
- Principal Investigator (2005), Risk Assessment Directed Treatment Planning For Chemically Dependent Adolescents. Funded by: The Ohio State University OSU Cares - OSU Cares Outreach Grant, $12,415 ($7,415-OSU; $5,000-partner match).
- Granello, P. F. (2013). Wellness: Achieving a Healthy Lifestyle. Upper Saddle Ridge, NJ: Merrill-Pearson.
- Granello, P. F. (2012). Wellness Counseling. Upper Saddle Ridge, NJ: Merrill-Pearson.
- Juhnke, G., Granello, D. H., & Granello, P. F. (2011). Suicide, Self-Injury, and Violence in the Schools: Assessment, Prevention, and Intervention Strategies. John Wile & Sons, U.S.
- Granello, P. F. & Juhnke, G., (2009) Case Studies in suicide: Experiences of mental health professionals. Upper Saddle Ridge, NJ: Merrill-Pearson.
- Granello, D. H., & Granello, P. F. (2007). Suicide: An essential guide for helping professionals and educators. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Journal Articles & Book Chapters
- Granello, P.F. & Hollenbaugh, M. (in revision). “Health and Psychosocial Functioning as Predictors of Wellness and Life Satisfaction Counselor Education Students” Journal of Humanistic Counseling.
- Granello, P.F. & Crushank, D., (in revision). “What Teen Screen Tells us About Student Demographics and the Mental Health Needs of Adolescents”
- Granello, P.F. & Dollarhide, C. (in revision). “Adolescent Suicide: What every school counselor needs to know.” Professional School Counseling.
- Hollenbaugh M., & Granello, P.F. "Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Group Dropout in Community Mental Health." Journal of Mental Health Counseling. Jan 2013. (Submitted).
- Granello, PF. "Suicide Prevention: Practice Brief." American Counseling Association Practice Briefs. Nov 2012. (in Press).
- Granello, P.F. (2011). Wellness Counseling. [Special feature] (pp. 431-432). In D. H. Granello & M. Young, Counseling Today: Foundations of professional identity. Boston: Pearson.
- Granello, P.F. & Fleming, M., (2011). A Suicide Case Study, In Understanding & Preventing College Student Suicide, Ed. Dorian Lamas & David Lester, Charles C. Thomas Publisher · Ltd. , Springfield, Il.
- Valadez, A., Juhnke, G., Col, K. M., Granello, P.F., Peters, S. & Zambro, E. (2009). The suicide probability scale: A means to assess alcohol and other drug abusing clients' suicide risk. Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory, and Research, 37, 51-65.
- Granello, D. H., Kindsvatter, A., Granello, P. F., Underfer-Babalis, J., & Hartwig-Moorhead, H. (2008). Multiple perspectives in supervision: Using a peer consultation model to enhance supervisor development. Counselor Education and Supervision, 48, 32-47.
- Fleming, M., & Granello, P. F. (2008). Providing Counseling for Alzheimer's Patients and their Caregivers. Adultspan. (This article received the Adult Development & Aging Outstanding Journal Article Award for 2008.)
- Jones, D. K. & Granello, P. F. (2008). Ezines: A Constructivist Instructional Activity for Teaching Diagnosis and Psychopathology. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health.
- Granello, D. H., & Granello, P. F. (2007). Suicide assessment: Strategies for determining risk. Counselling, Psychotherapy, and Health, 3(1), 42-51.
- Mahaffey, B. & Granello, P. F. (2007). Therapeutic Alliance: A Review of Sampling Strategies Reported in Marital and Family Therapy Studies. The Family Journal, 15(3).
- Juhnke, G. A., Granello, P. F., Lebron-Striker, M. (2007). IS PATH WARM? A suicide assessment mnemonic for counselors. ACA Professional Counseling Digest.
- Juhnke, G., & Granello, P.F. (2007). Shattered dreams of professional competence: The impact of client suicides on mental health practitioners and how to prepare for it. The Journal of Creativity and Mental Health Counseling, 1, 205-223.
- Rozorea, M. I., Buckworth, J., Granello, P. F., & Mattern, C. O. (2006). The effects of prescribed versus preferred intensity on psychological response in depressed women. Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, 37(5), pS207.
- Witmer, M J.. & Granello, P. F., (2005). Wellness in Counselor Education and Supervision. In J. E. Myers & T. J. Sweeney (Eds.,), Counseling for Wellness: Theory, Research, and Practice. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Granello, P. F. & Hanna, F. J. (2003) Incarcerated and court-involved adolescents: Counseling an at-risk population. Journal of Counseling and Development.
- Granello, P. F. & Wheaton, J. E. (2003). Development of a CD-Rom for instruction and research. In J. Bloom & G. Walz (Eds.). Cybercounseling & Cyberlearing: Encore Edition. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Wheaton, J. E., & Granello, P. F. (2003). Designing web pages that are usable and accessible to everyone. In J. Bloom & G. Walz (Eds.). Cybercounseling & Cyberlearing: Encore Edition. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Kilinc, A., & Granello, P. F. (2003). Overall life satisfaction and help-seeking attitudes of Turkish international college students: Implications for college counselors. Journal of College Counseling.