Contact information for regional faculty members is located on the main College Directory.
- PhD, Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University - Columbus, Ohio
- MS, Human Nutrition, University of Delaware - Newark, Delaware
- BS, Applied Nutrition (minor in Biology), University of Delaware - Newark, Delaware
- RD, Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Nutritional Science
- Cardiovascular disease
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
Dr. Richard Bruno is a professor of human nutrition. He is a bionutritionist and registered dietitian with expertise in the areas of phytochemical and antioxidant function and metabolism in relation to free radical-mediated toxicology.
Research conducted in the Bruno Laboratory has the underlying goal to improve human health by establishing dietary recommendations that manage the risks of cardiometabolic disorders, especially nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and vascular endothelial function. Specific areas of investigation include defining the mechanisms by which green tea catechins alleviate NFκB-dependent inflammation during nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and translating research findings into therapeutic clinical practice. This is complemented by studies examining the bioavailability of vitamin E and polyphenols to establish dietary requirements for humans and validating dietary-based strategies that lower cardiovascular disease risk by ameliorating postprandial vascular endothelial dysfunction in response to hyperglycemia-mediated oxidative stress responses.
In each of these areas, dietary intervention studies are routinely performed in preclinical models and clinical populations to establish the mechanism of action of phytochemicals and functional foods along a trajectory to translate research findings into evidence-based dietary recommendations.
Dr. Bruno has published his research findings extensively, and his more than 80 peer-reviewed publications can be viewed here. Select publications from the past 3 years include:
- J Li, TN Sapper, E Mah, MV Moller, JB Kim,CChitchumroonchokchai, JD McDonald, RS Bruno. (2017).Green tea extract treatment reduces NFκB activation in mice with diet-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis by lowering TNFR1 and TLR4 expression and ligand availability. J Nutr Biochem, 41:34-41.
- G Bobe, TJ Cobb, SW Leonard, S Aponso, CB Bahro, D Koley, E Mah, RS Bruno, MG Traber (2017). Increased static and decreased capacity oxidation-reduction potentials in plasma are predictive of metabolic syndrome. Redox Biol, 12:121-128.
- MG Traber, E Mah, SW Leonard, G Bobe, RS Bruno. (2017). Metabolic syndrome increases dietary α-tocopherol requirements as assessed using urinary and plasma vitamin E catabolites: a double-blind, crossover clinical trial. Amer J Clin Nutr, 105(3):571-579.
- F Zhong, M Xu, RS Bruno, KD Ballard, J Zhu. (2017). Targeted high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry-based metabolomics differentiates metabolic syndrome from obesity. Exp Biol Med, 242(7):773-780.
- BM Cotten, SA Diamond, T Banh, Y-H Hsiao, RM Cole, J Li, CT Simons, RS Bruno, MA Belury,Y Vodovotz. (2017). Raspberry ketone fails to reduce adiposity beyond decreasing food intake in C57BL/6 mice fed a high-fat diet. Food Funct, 8(4):1512-1518.
- RM Duguid, CW Berry, P Dey, RS Bruno, RM Ward, KL Timmerman, KD Ballard. (2017). Effects of prior aerobic exercise on sitting-induced vascular dysfunction in healthy men. Eur J App Physiol, 117:2509-2518.
- R Pei, DM DiMarco, KK Putt, DA Martin, Q Gu, C Chitchumroonchokchai, HW White, CO Scarlett, RS Bruno, BW Bolling. (2017). Low-fat yogurt consumption reduces biomarkers of chronic inflammation and inhibits markers of endotoxin exposure in healthy premenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Nutr, Nov 28:1-9. doi: 10.1017/S0007114517003038. [Epub ahead of print].
- J Li, GY Sasaki, C Chitchumroonchokchai, AN Labyk, JD McDonald, JB Kim, RS Bruno (2017). Green tea extract protects against hepatic NFκB activation along the gut-liver axis in diet-induced obese mice with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis by reducing endotoxin and TLR4/MyD88 signaling. J Nutr Biochem, 53:58-65 doi:10.1016/j.jnutbio.2017.10.016.
- JD McDonald, C Chitchumroonchokchai, J Li, E Mah, AN Labyk, EJ Reverri, KD Ballard, JS Volek, RS Bruno. (2017). Replacing carbohydrate during a glucose challenge with the egg white portion or whole eggs protects against postprandial impairments in vascular endothelial function in prediabetic men by limiting increases in glycemia and lipid peroxidation. Br J Nutr, Accepted 23 Nov.
- J Li, TN Sapper, E Mah, S Rudraiah, KE Schill, C Chitchumroonchokchai, MV Moller, JD McDonald, PR Rohrer, JE Manautou, RS Bruno (2016). Green tea extract provides extensive Nrf2-independent protection against lipid accumulation and NFκB pro-inflammatory responses during nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in mice fed a high-fat diet. Mol Nutr Food Res, 60(4):858-70.
- KD Ballard, E Mah, Y Guo, RS Bruno, BA Taylor, JE Beam, DM Polk, PD Thompson (2016). Single low-density lipoprotein apheresis does not improve vascular endothelial function in chronically treated hypercholesterolemic patients. Int J Vasc Med, 2016: 4613202, 1-7.
- M Jacome-Sosa, EJ Parks, RS Bruno, E Tasali, GF Lewis, BO Scheenman, TM Rains. (2016). Postprandial metabolism of macronutrients and cardiometabolic risk: recent developments, emerging concepts, and future directions. Adv Nutr, 7(2):364-74.
- Y Li, LP Bharath, Y Qian, T Ruan, PVA Babu, RS Bruno, JD Symons, T Jalili (2016). γ-Carboxyethyl hydroxychroman, a metabolite of γ-tocopherol, preserves nitric oxide bioavailability in endothelial cells challenged with high glucose. Exp Biol Med, 241(18):2056-2062.
- TN Sapper, E Mah, J Ahn-Jarvis, JD McDonald, C Chitchumroonchokchai, EJ Reverri, Y Vodovotz, RS Bruno. (2016). A green tea-containing starch confection increases plasma catechins without protecting against postprandial impairments in vascular function in normoglycemic adults. Food Funct, 7:3843-3853.
- E Mah, R Pei, Y Guo, C Masterjohn, KD Ballard, BA Parker, AW Taylor, MG Traber, JS Volek, RS Bruno. (2015). Greater γ-tocopherol status during acute smoking abstinence with nicotine replacement therapy improved vascular endothelial function by decreasing 8-iso-15(S)-prostaglandin F2α. Exp Biol Med, 240(4):527-33.
- *M-Y Chung, *E Mah, C Masterjohn, SK Noh, HJ Park, RM Clark, Y-K Park, J-Y Lee, RS Bruno. (2015). Green tea lowers hepatic COX-2 and prostaglandin E2 in rats with dietary fat-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. J Med Food, 18(6):648-55.
- Y Guo, RS Bruno. (2015). Endogenous and exogenous mediators of quercetin bioavailability. J Nutr Biochem, 26(3):201-210.
- KD Ballard, RS Bruno. (2015). Protective role of dairy and its constituents on vascular endothelial function independent of blood pressure-lowering activities. Nutr Rev. 73(1):36-50.
- R Pei, E Mah, SW Leonard, MG Traber, RS Bruno. (2015). α-Tocopherol supplementation reduces 5-nitro-γ-tocopherol accumulation by decreasing γ-tocopherol in young adult smokers. Free Radic Res, 49(9): 1114-21.
- R Pei, M Yu, RS Bruno, B Bolling. (2015). Phenolic and tocopherol content of autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellate) berries. J Func Foods, 16:305-314.
- E Mah, TN Sapper, C Chitchumroonchokchai, ML Failla, KE Schill, SK Clinton, G Bobe, MG Traber, RS Bruno (2015). α-Tocopherol bioavailability is lower in adults with metabolic syndrome regardless of dairy fat co-ingestion: a randomized, double-blind, crossover trial. Amer J Clin Nutr, 102(5):1070-80.