Contact information for regional faculty members is located on the main College Directory.
Brian A. Turner is associate professor and coordinator of Sport Management in the College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University. He earned his bachelor of science degree in secondary education from Baylor University and his masters of education degree in physical education from Tarleton State University. He received his PhD in sport management from Ohio State in 2001.
Prior to his current position, Dr. Turner served three years as the Director of Sport Management at DeSales University and one year as a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma.
He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed articles and made more than 70 presentations at national and international conferences. Additionally, Dr. Turner co-edited the textbook Marketing for Sport Business Success. He is past co-editor for the Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics and currently serves on two editorial review boards.
In 2007, Dr. Turner was named a North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) Research Fellow. Currently, he serves as chair-elect on Athletic Council at Ohio State.
- PhD, Sport Management, The Ohio State University, 2001
- MEd, Physical Education, Tarleton State University, 1997
- BS, Secondary Education, Baylor University, 1988
Turner's research areas lie in the general area of Organizational Behavior. Currently, his primary interest is commitment among intercollegiate athletic coaches. He also focusing on the following: 1) research methods in sport management; 2) commitment of student-athletes; and 3) employee behavior in sport organizations.
- Turner, B. A. (2013). Ohio Stadium. In M. R. Nelson (Ed.), American sports: A history of icons, idols, and ideas (Vol. 3, pp. 971-973). Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing.
- Turner, B. A., Parkhouse, B. L., & Miloch, K. (2012). Future of sport marketing. In B. L. Parkhouse, B. A. Turner, & K. Miloch (Eds.), Sport marketing: Winning strategies for sport business success (pp. 309-324). Dubuque: Kendall-Hunt Publishing.
- Parkhouse, B. L., & Turner, B. A. (2012). Sport marketing: Definition, evolution, uniqueness, and importance. In B. L. Parkhouse, B. A. Turner, & K. Miloch (Eds.), Sport marketing: Winning strategies for sport business success (pp. 1-28). Dubuque: Kendall-Hunt Publishing.
- Parkhouse, B. L., & Turner, B. A. (2012). Take the field! Career decisions for success. In B. L. Parkhouse, B. A. Turner, & K. Miloch (Eds.), Sport marketing: Winning strategies for sport business success (pp. 283-307). Dubuque: Kendall-Hunt Publishing.
- Chelladurai, P., & Turner, B. A. (2006). Styles of decision making in coaching. In J. M. Williams (Ed.), Applied sport psychology, 5th ed. (pp. 140-154). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Chelladurai, P. & Turner, B. A. (2005). Management. In D. Levinson & K. Christensen (Eds.), Berkshire encyclopedia of world sport (pp. 954-961). Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing Group.
Peer-Reviewed Research Articles
- Barnhill, C. R., & Turner, B. A. (2014). Psychological contract breach between coaches and student-athletes: The impact on team commitment. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 7, 245-262.
- Czekanski, W. A., & Turner, B. A. (2014). Social exchange and performance in intercollegiate athletics. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Sports, 7, 367-389.
- Jensen, J. A., & Turner, B. A. (2014). What if statisticians ran college football? A re-conceptualization of the Football Bowl Subdivision. Journal of Quantitative Analysis of Sports, 10, 37-48.
- Turner, B. A., Jordan, J. S., & Kent, R. A. W. (2013). A demonstration of methods to identify the presence of nonresponse error in survey research. International Journal of Sport Management, 14(4), 425 – 440.
- Barnhill, C. R., & Turner, B. A. (2013). Broken promises: The effect of psychological contract violation on student-athlete trust and intentions to leave their team. Journal of Intercollegiate Sport, 6, 179 – 195.
- Farneti, C., & Turner, B. A. (2013). Student-athletes’ perceptions of leadership styles of Division III basketball coaches. Journal for the Study of Sports & Athletes in Education, 7(3), 210–228.
- Barnhill, C. R., Czekanski, W. A., & Turner, B. A. (2013). Psychological contracts and student-athlete retention. Journal for the Study of Sports & Athletes in Education, 7(1), 20-40.
- Lower, L. M., Turner, B. A., & Petersen, J. C. (2013). A comparative analysis of perceived benefits of participation between recreational sport programs. Recreational Sports Journal, 37, 66-83.
- Seifried, C. S., & Turner, B. A. (2012). Student-athlete perceptions on the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) postseason arrangement: A forced-choice certainty method survey approach. The Journal of Sport, 1, 108-139.
- Won, D., Park, M., & Turner, B. A. (2010). Motivations for participating in health related charity sports events. Journal of Venue & Event Management, 1(2), 17-44.
- Farneti, C., Christy, K., & Turner, B. A. (2009). Examining role conflict among Division III head men’s and women’s basketball coaches. International Journal of Sport Management, 10(1), 68-81.
- Jordan, J. S., Turner, B. A., & Pack, S. M. (2009). The influence of organisational justice on perceived organisational support in a university recreational sports setting. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Management, 6, 106-123.
- Seifried, C., Farneti, C., Turner, B. A., Brett, M., & Davis, J. (2009). Investigating fantasy sport participation among college students. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 3(2), 173-186.
- Seifried, C.S., Krenzelok, A., Turner, B. A., & Brett, M. (2009). The prevalence of gambling in college: A review of literature, convenience sample, and recommendations. ICHPER-SD Journal of Research, 4(1), 13-20.