Research Scientist, Department of Human Sciences
Professor, Department of Human Sciences
Program Area: Kinesiology
With his recent retirement in January of 2022 from the Department of Human Sciences at The Ohio State University as full professor he still holds an Adjunct Professorship in the department. Dr. Kraemer also acts as the Senior Advisor for Sports Performance and Sports Sciences and is a member of the Performance Innovation Team and the Human Performance Consortium for the Department of Athletics. Ranked the number 1 sports scientist in the field, he also established himself as one of the Google Scholars, ranking in the top 0.5 to 1% in his field. Dr. Kraemer brings to the table both an impressive and extensive, and eclectic scientific background with an appreciation for the endpoint translations to the different fields of practice. Historically, he has held full professorships at the Pennsylvania State University, Ball State University and the University of Connecticut along with appointments at their medical schools. In 2016 he received an honorary doctorate from the University of Jyvaskyla in Finland for the impact of his research worldwide. Additionally, he was a commissioned officer in the United States Army working in the Exercise Physiology Division at the U.S. Army’s Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick Massachusetts. Prior to his scientific career he was a teacher and coach of football, wrestling and strength coaching in athletics at the secondary and college levels. Dr. Kraemer has published 12 books, over 500 peer reviewed papers in the scientific literature, and over 100 chapters along and a multitude of other educational publications. He is a Fellow in several organizations including the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the International Society of Sports Nutrition and American Nutrition Association and is a member of the Endocrine Society and the American Physiological Society. He is a past president of the NSCA and has served on the Board of Trustees for the ACSM and has been a chapter president and honor award winner. Dr. Kraemer has received many other awards including the NSCA’s Lifetime Achievement Award and had the Outstanding Sport Scientist named in his honor in 2006. In 2020 he was awarded the Citation Award from the ACSM. The University of Jyvaskyla’s University Medal was awarded to him in 2009 as the first non-Finish recipient of this award. The wide variety of experiences in both research and practice has allowed for research translation to many in exercise and sports science applications.
- PhD, Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, 1984
- MS, Allied Health Professions, Exercise Physiology, University of Wyoming, 1978
- BS, Health and Physical Education, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, 1975
- Canino MC, Dunn-Lewis C, Proessl F, LaGoy AD, Hougland JR, Beck AL, Vaughan GP, Sterczala AJ, Connaboy C, Kraemer WJ, Flanagan SD. Finding a rhythm: Relating ultra-short-term heart rate variability measures in healthy young adults during rest, exercise, and recovery. Auton Neurosci. 2022 Feb 9;239:102953.
- Anders JPV, Kraemer WJ, Newton RU, Post EM, Caldwell LK, Beeler MK, DuPont WH, Martini ER, Volek JS, Häkkinen K, Maresh CM, Hayes SM. Acute Effects of High-intensity Resistance Exercise on Cognitive Function. J Sports Sci Med. 2021 May 3;20(3):391-397.
- Hatfield DL, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Nindl BC, Caldwell LK, Vingren JL, Newton RU, Häkkinen K, Lee EC, Maresh CM, Hymer WC. Growth Hormonal stress responses of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I in highly resistance trained women and men. Horm IGF Res. 2021 Aug;59:101407.
- Flanagan SD, Proessl F, Dunn-Lewis C, Sterczala AJ, Connaboy C, Canino MC, Beethe AZ, Eagle SR, Szivak TK, Onate JA, Volek JS, Maresh CM, Kaeding CC, Kraemer WJ. Differences in brain structure and theta burst stimulation-induced plasticity implicate the corticomotor system in loss of function after musculoskeletal injury. J Neurophysiol. 2021 Apr 1;125(4):1006-1021.
- Lopez P, Radaelli R, Taaffe DR, Newton RU, Galvão DA, Trajano GS, Teodoro J, Kraemer WJ, Häkkinen K, Pinto RS. Resistance Training Load Effects on Muscle Hypertrophy and Strength Gain: Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2021 Jun 1;53(6):1206-1216.
- Kraemer WJ, Caldwell LK, Post EM, DuPont WH, Martini ER, Ratamess NA, Szivak TK, Shurley JP, Beeler MK, Volek JS, Maresh CM, Todd JS, Walrod BJ, Hyde PN, Fairman C, Best TM. Body Composition in Elite Strongman Competitors. J Strength Cond Res. 2020 Dec;34(12):3326-3330..
- Kraemer WJ, Caldwell LK, Post EM, Beeler MK, Dickerson RM, Kennett MJ, Volek JS, Maresh CM, Hymer WC. Recovery using "float" from high intensity stress on growth hormone-like molecules in resistance trained men.n Growth Horm IGF Res. 2020 Dec;55:101355. doi: 10.1016/j.ghir.2020.101355.
- Gómez AL, Kraemer WJ, Maresh CM, Lee EC, Szivak TK, Caldwell LK, Post EM, Beeler MK, Volek JS. Resistance Training and Milk-Substitution Enhance Body Composition and Bone Health in Adolescent Girls. J Am Coll Nutr. 2021 Mar-Apr;40(3):193-210.
- Pierce JR, Martin BJ, Rarick KR, Alemany JA, Staab JS, Kraemer WJ, Hymer WC, Nindl BC. Growth Hormone and Insulin-like Growth Factor-I Molecular Weight Isoform Responses to Resistance Exercise Are Sex-Dependent. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2020 Aug 21;11:571.
- Flanagan SD, Proessl F, Dunn-Lewis C, Canino MC, Sterczala AJ, Connaboy C, DuPont WH, Caldwell LK, Kraemer WJ. Constitutive and Stress-Induced Psychomotor Cortical Responses to Compound K Supplementation. Front Neurosci. 2020 Apr 8;14:315.
- Kraemer WJ, Ratamess NA, Hymer WC, Nindl BC, Fragala MS. Growth Hormone(s), Testosterone, Insulin-Like Growth Factors, and Cortisol: Roles and Integration for Cellular Development and Growth With Exercise. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2020 Feb 25;11:33
- Hymer WC, Kennett MJ, Maji SK, Gosselink KL, McCall GE, Grindeland RE, Post EM, Kraemer WJ. Bioactive growth hormone in humans: Controversies, complexities and concepts. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2020 Feb;50:9-22.
- Borden EC, Kraemer WJ, Walrod BJ, Post EM, Caldwell LK, Beeler MK, DuPont WH, Anders JP, Martini ER, Volek JS, Maresh CM. Changes of Hydration Measures in Elite National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I Wrestlers. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2019 Oct 2:1-4.
- LaFountain RA, Miller VJ, Barnhart EC, Hyde PN, Crabtree CD, McSwiney FT, Beeler MK, Buga A, Sapper TN, Short JA, Bowling ML, Kraemer WJ, Simonetti OP, Maresh CM, Volek JS. Extended Ketogenic Diet and Physical Training Intervention in Military Personnel. Mil Med. 2019 Oct 1;184(9-10):e538-e547.
- Hooper DR, Kraemer WJ, Stearns RL, Kupchak BR, Volk BM, DuPont WH, Maresh CM, Casa DJ. Evidence of the Exercise Hypogonadal Male Condition at the 2011 Kona Ironman World Championships Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2018 Jun 28:1-22.
- Caldwell LK, DuPont WH, Beeler MK, Post EM, Barnhart EC, Hardesty VH, Anders JP, Borden EC, Volek JS, Kraemer WJ. The Effects of a Korean Ginseng, GINST15, on Perceptual Effort, Psychomotor Performance, and Physical Performance in Men and Women. J Sports Sci Med. 2018 Mar 1;17(1):92-100.
- Szivak TK, Lee EC, Saenz C, Flanagan SD, Focht BC, Volek JS, Maresh CM, Kraemer WJ. Adrenal Stress and Physical Performance During Military Survival Training. Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2018 Feb 1;89(2):99-107, 2018.
- DuPont WH, Meuris BJ, Hardesty VH, Barnhart EC, Tompkins LH, Golden MJP, Usher CJ, Spence PA, Caldwell LK, Post EM, Beeler MK, Kraemer WJ. The Effects Combining Cryocompression Therapy following an Acute Bout of Resistance Exercise on Performance and Recovery. J Sports Sci Med. Aug 8;16(3):333-342, 2017.
- McGrath RP, Kraemer WJ, Vincent BM, Hall OT, Peterson MD.Muscle Strength Is Protective Against Osteoporosis in an Ethnically Diverse Sample of Adults. J Strength Cond Res. Sep;31(9):2586-2589, 2017.
- Lee EC, Muñoz CX, McDermott BP, Beasley KN, Yamamoto LM, Hom LL, Casa DJ, Armstrong LE, Kraemer WJ, Anderson JM, Maresh CM. Extracellular and cellular Hsp72 differ as biomarkers in acute exercise/environmental stress and recovery. Scand J Med Sci Sports. Jan;27(1):66-74, 2017.
- Kraemer WJ, Kennett MJ, Mastro AM, McCarter RJ, Rogers CJ, DuPont WH, Flanagan SD, Turbitt WJ, Fragala MS, Post EM, Hymer WC. Bioactive growth hormone in older men and women: It's relationship to immune markers and healthspan. Growth Horm IGF Res. Jun;34:45-54, 2017.
- Grindeland RE, Kraemer WJ, Hymer WC. Two types of rat pituitary somatotrophs secrete growth hormone with different biological and immunological profiles. Growth Horm IGF Res. Oct;36:52-56, 2017.
- Kraemer WJ, Hooper DR, Kupchak BR, Saenz C, Brown LE, Vingren JL, Luk HY, DuPont WH, Szivak TK, Flanagan SD, Caldwell LK, Eklund D, Lee EC, Häkkinen K, Volek JS, Fleck SJ, Maresh CM. The effects of a roundtrip trans-American jet travel on physiological stress, neuromuscular performance, and recovery. J Appl Physiol (1985). Aug 1;121(2):438-48, 2016.