Dr. Carl Maresh is a professor of kinesiology in the Department of Human Sciences, also serving as director of the exercise science program and director of the exercise science research laboratories. His first professional appointment was director of the Health Institute at Saint Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri. He was then recruited to the Midwest Research Institute (presently MRI Global) in Kansas City where he served as a senior research scientist in the departments of Bio-Organic Chemistry and Bio-Behavioral Sciences. Prior to assuming his position at The Ohio State University in 2014, Dr. Maresh was a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Kinesiology at the University of Connecticut (UConn) where he held joint appointments in the departments of Physiology & Neurobiology, Nutritional Sciences, Physical Therapy, and the School of Medicine. As director of the Human Performance Laboratory at UConn from 1984-2014, and department head of kinesiology from 1998-2012, he was credited with bringing together a truly renowned group of scientists. As a result of focused teamwork, his department was ranked over a 10-year period (2005-2015) as the #1 kinesiology doctoral program, and most research productive kinesiology department, in the United States.
Widely acknowledged as an eminent scholar in exercise science, Dr. Maresh’s contributions have influenced the way people view the importance of exercise across the lifespan, including the efficacy of structured exercise in clinically compromised patients. His laboratory and fieldbased research on the physiological responses to different environmental stressors, and on optimum methods of nutrition and hydration, has greatly increased our knowledge of how the human body manages such challenges and has wide applications to gender-specific health, injury and disease prevention, and performance enhancement in both neutral and extreme environments. He has over 300 peer-reviewed scientific publications and been awarded millions of dollars in extramural funding, secured from government, corporate, and professional agencies.
Dr. Maresh has dedicated himself to comprehensively serving his research and academic departments, and his professional organizations. He proudly served as a member and/or chair of several IRBs for studies involving human subjects, spanning an 18-year period. He is a member of several professional organizations, having served in many capacities including membership on a national board of trustees, as president, and associate editor. Dr. Maresh has served on peer review panels and/or study sections for the National Institutes of Health, Department of Defense, and National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He is a Fellow in the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Academy of Kinesiology.
- PhD, Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, 1976-1981
- Graduate studies in Anatomy, Physiology, and Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, 1974-1976
- MS, Health and Exercise Science, California State University-Fullerton, 1973
- BS, Health and Physical Education, California State University-Fullerton, 1971
- Volek, A.L., W.J. Kraemer, C.M. Maresh, E.C. Lee, T.K. Szivak, L.K. Caldwell, E.C. Post, M.K. Beeler, and J.S. Volek. Resistance training and milk-substitution enhance body composition and bone health in adolescent girls. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 40(3): 193-210, 2021.
- Bartley, J.M., R. Stearns, C.X. Munoz, J.K. Nolan, S. Radom-Aizik, C.M. Maresh, D.J. Casa, F.P. Zaldivar, F. Haddad, M.S. Ganio, and E.C. Lee. Effects of cold-water immersion on circulating inflammatory markers at the Kona Ironman World Championship. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 46(7): 719-726, 2021.
- Flanagan, S.D., F. Proessl, C. Dunn-Lewis, A.J. Sterczala, C. Connaboy, M.C. Canino, A.Z. Beethe, S.R. Eagle, T.K. Szivak, J.A. Onate, J.S. Volek, C.M. Maresh, C.C. Kaeding, and W.J. Kraemer. Differences in brain structure and theta burst stimulation-induced plasticity implicate the corticomotor system in loss of function after musculoskeletal injury. Journal of Neurophysiology 125(4): 1006-1021, 2021.
- Pryor, R.R., J.L. Pryor, L.M. Vandermark, E.L. Adams, R.M. Brodeur, L.E. Armstrong, E.C. Lee, C.M. Maresh, and D.J. Casa. Short term heat acclimation reduces stain during a first, but not second, consecutive work session in the heat. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 24(8): 768-773, 2021.
- Anders, J.P., W.J. Kraemer, R.U. Newton, E.M. Post, L.K. Caldwell, M.K. Beeler, W.H. DuPont, E.R. Martini, J.S. Volek, K. Hakkinen, R.U. Newton, C.M. Maresh and S.M. Hayes. Acute effects of high intensity resistance exercise on cognitive function. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 20(3): 391-397, 2021.
- Pryor, R.R., J.L. Pryor, L.W. Vandermark, E.L. Adams, R.M. Brodeur, Z.J. Schlader, L.E. Armstrong, E.C. Lee, C.M. Maresh, and D.J. Casa. Acute kidney injury biomarker responses to short-term heat acclimation. International Journal of Environmental research and Public Health. 2020 Feb 19;17(4):1325. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17041325.
- Kackley, M.L., J. Short, P.N. Hyde, R.A. LaFountain, A. Buga, V.J. Miller, R. Dickerson, T.N. Sapper, E. Barnhart, C. McElroy, C.M. Maresh, W.J. Kraemer, and J.S. Volek. A preworkout supplement of ketone salts, caffeine, and amino acids improves high-intensity exercise performance in keto-naïve and keto-adapted individuals. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 39 (4):290-300, 2020.
- Kraemer, W.J., L.K. Caldwell, E.M. Post, M.K. Beeler, R.M. Dickerson, M.J. Kennett, J.S. Volek, C.M. Maresh, and W.C. Hymer. Recovery using “float” from high intensity stress on growth hormone-like molecules in resistance trained men. Growth Hormone and IGF Research 2020 Dec 55:101355, doi; 10.1016/j.ghir.2010.101355. Epub 2020 Sep 25.
- Hooper, D.R., W.J. Kraemer, R.L. Stearns, B.R. Kupchak, B.M. Volk, W.H. DuPont, C.M. Maresh, and D.J. Casa. Evidence of the exercise hypogonadal male condition at the 2011 Kona Ironman World Championships. International Journal of Sports and Physiological Performance 14:170-175, 2019.
- Pryor, J.L., R.R. Pryor, L.W. Vandermark, E.L. Adams, R.M. VanScoy, D.J. Casa, L.E. Armstrong, E.C. Lee, L.J. DiStefano, J.M. Anderson, and C.M. Maresh. Intermittent exercise-heat exposures and intense physical activity sustain heat acclimation adaptations. Journal of Science, Medicine and Sport 22:117-122, 2019.
- Adams, E., D.L. Casa, R.A. Huggins, J.K. DeMartini-Nolan, R.L. Stearns, R.M. Kennedy, M.M. Bosworth, L.J. Distefano, L.E. Armstrong, and C.M. Maresh. Heat exposure and hypohydration exacerbate physiological strain during load carrying. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 33:727-735, 2019
- LaFountain, R.A., V.J. Miller, E.C. Barnhart, P.N. Hyde, C.D. Crabtree, F.T. McSwiney, M.K. Beeler, A.S. Buga, T.N. Sapper, J.A. Short, M.L. Bowling, W.J. Kraemer, O.P. Simonetti, C.M. Maresh, and J.S. Volek. Extended ketogenic diet and physical training intervention in military personnel. Military Medicine 184: e538-e547, 2019.
- Borden, E.C., W.J. Kraemer, B.J. Walrod, E.M. Post, L.K. Caldwell, M.K. Beeler, W.H. DuPont, J.P. Anders, E.R. Martini, J.S. Volek, and C.M. Maresh. Changes of hydration measures in elite National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I wrestlers. International Journal of Sport Physiology and Performance 2019 March 19 [Epub ahead of print]
- Pryor, RR, JL Pryor, LW Vandermark, EL Adams, RM Brodeur, LE Armstrong, EC Lee, CM Maresh, JM Anderson, and DL Casa. Exacerbated heat strain during consecutive days of repeated exercise sessions in the heat. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 22:1084-1089, 2019.
- Szivak, T.K., E.C. Lee, C. Saenz, S.D. Flanagan, B.C. Focht, J.S. Volek, C.M. Maresh, and W.J. Kraemer. Adrenal stress and physical performance during military survival training. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance 89:99-107, 2018.
- Stearns, R.L., J.K. Nolan, R.A. Huggins, C.M. Maresh, C.X. Munoz, K.G. Pagnotta, B.M. Volk, and D.J. Casa. Influence of cold-water immersion on recovery of elite tiathletes following the Ironman World Championship. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sports 21:846-851, 2018.
- Lee, E.C., C.X. Munoz, B.P. McDermott, K.N. Beasley, L.M. Yamamoto, L.L. Hom, D.J. Casa, L.E. Armstrong, W.J. Kraemer, J.M. Anderson, and C.M. Maresh. Extracellular and cellular Hsp72 differ as biomarkers in acute exercise/environmental stress and recovery. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports 27:66-74, 2017.
- Kupchak, B.R., W.J. Kraemer, D.R. Hooper, C. Saenz, L.L. Dulkis, P.J. Secola, L.E. Brown, A.J. Galpin, A.J. Colburn, J.W. Dupont, L.K. Caldwell, J.S. Volek, and C.M. Maresh. The effects of a transcontinental flight on markers of coagulation and fibrinolysis in health men after vigorous physical activity. Chronobiology International 34:148-161, 2017.
- DuPont, W.H., W.J. Kraemer, B.C. Nindl, E.C. Lee, M.S. Fragala, D.L. Hatfield, L.K. Caldwell, E.M. Post, M. Beeler, J.S. Volek, and C.M. Maresh. The effects of different exercise training modalities on plasma proenkephalin Peptide F in women. Peptides 91:26-32, 2017.
- Hooper, D.R., W.J. Kraemer, C. Saenz, K.E. Schill, B.C. Focht, J.S. Volek, and C.M. Maresh. The presence of symptoms of testosterone deficiency in the exercise-hypogonadal male condition and the role of nutrition. European Journal of Applied Physiology 117:1349- 1357, 2017
- McKenzie, A.L., E.T. Perrier, I. Guelinckx, S.A. Kavouras, G. Aerni, E.C. Lee, J.S. Volek, C.M. Maresh, and L.E. Armstrong. Relationship between hydration biomarkers and total fluid intake in pregnant and lactating women European Journal of Nutrition 56:2161- 2170, 2017.
- Hooper, D.R., W.J. Kraemer, B.C. Focht, J.S. Volek, W.H. DuPont, L.K. Caldwell, and C.M. Maresh. Endocrinological roles for testosterone in resistance exercise responses and adaptations. Sports Medicine 91:1709-1720, 2017.
- Volek J.S., D. J. Freidenreich, C. Saenz, L. J. Kunces, B.C. Creighton, J.M. Bartley, P.M. Davitt, C.X. Muñoz, J.M. Anderson, C.M. Maresh, E.C. Lee, M.D. Schuenke, G. Aerni, W.J. Kraemer, and S.D. Phinney. Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners. Metabolism Clinical and Experimental 65:100-110, 2016.
- Kraemer, W.J., D.R. Hooper, B.R. Kupchak, C. Saenz, L. Brown, J. Vingren, H. Luk, W.H. Dupont, T.K. Szivak, S.D. Flanagan, L. Caldwell, D. Eklund, E.CX. Lee, K. Hakkinen, J.S. Volek, S. Fleck, and C.M. Maresh. The effects of a roundtrip trans-American jet travel on physiological stress, neuromuscular performance and recovery. Journal of Applied Physiology. 121:438-448, 2016.
- Lopez, R.M., D.J. Casa, K. Jensen, R.L. Stearns, J.K. DeMartini, K. Pagnotta, W.W. Roti, L.E. Armstrong, and C.M. Maresh. Comparison of two fluid replacement protocols during a 20-km trail running race in the heat. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30:2609-2616, 2016.