Associate Professor, Department of Human Sciences
Program Area: Human Development and Family Science
- Post-doctoral Fellowship Research Triangle Institute International Research (Triangle Park, North Carolina), May 2012
- Obesity Signature Program
- PhD, Medical Family Therapy, East Carolina University, 2010
- Dissertation: Biopsychosocial Changes in Youth and Caregivers
- Participating in an Integrated Pediatric Obesity Treatment
- MS, Marriage and Family Therapy, East Carolina University, 2007
- Thesis: A Biopsychosocial Glance of Overweight Youth and their Caregivers
- BS, Applied Health Science: Human Development and Family Studies, Indiana University, 2005
- Psychology (minor), Sociology (minor)
- Adolescent and At-Risk Youth
- Behavioral Aspects of Health
- Pediatric obesity family-based treatment and intervention
- Training in behavioral therapy and clinical approaches to obesity
- Child Development
- Dietetics and Nutrition
- Family Systems
- Family dynamics that lead to positive health outcomes (i.e., weight loss, dietary and physical activity changes)
- Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Maternal and Child Health
- Parenting behaviors and styles and obesity prevention and/or treatment
- Weight status congruence in families
- Public Health Education and Promotion
Pratt's research interests focus on three specific areas of child/adolescent obesity, family and weight-related behaviors:
- Intergenerational family-based factors (i.e., parenting and feeding styles, family functioning) that contribute to or are modifiable in pediatric and adult weight management and bariatric surgery.
- Analyzing intergenerational family and child/adolescent outcomes from integrated multidisciplinary care models in pediatric and adult weight management and bariatric surgery.
- Assessing and expanding the field of CFT (and other mental health professions) to include clinician training on systemic weight-related behaviors in families, and training to work with clients and families who are struggling with overweight and obesity.
- 2018-present Associate Professor (85%), Couple and Family Therapy Specialization, Human Development and Family Science Program, Department of Human Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2018-present Associate Professor (15%), Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center (OARDC), The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2018-present Associate Professor (0%), Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- 2020-present Associate Professor and Faculty Affiliate (0%), Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus OH; Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH
- 2021-present Co-Director of the Couple and Family Therapy Specialization in the Human Development and Family Science Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2020-2021 Researcher in Residence, Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2020-present Secretary, AAMFT Topic Interest Network: Intervention Research
- 2020-present Special Topics Editor, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH)
- 2020-present Associate Editor, Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care
- 2018-present Associate Editor, Families, Systems, & Health Journal
- 2016-present Affiliate, Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and Policy
- 2015-present Coordinator of Behavioral Health and Family Therapy, Adult Weight Management Program, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- 2013-present Ohio Independent Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #F1300008
- 2011-present Approved Supervisor, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- The Obesity Society
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- National Counsel on Family Relations (NCFR)
- Collaborative Family Healthcare Association
- Food Innovation Center (OSU)
- The Center for Clinical and Translational Science (OSU)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Childhood Obesity Action Network, National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society, Nu Iota Chapter
- Eta Sigma Gamma, Nu Chapter
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Xu, J., Pratt, K.J., Chaudhari, M., Henry, R., Hubbard, R., Siegel, R., Eneli, I. (2021). On a Different Page! Perceptions on the onset, diagnosis, and management of type 2 diabetes among adolescent patients, parents, and physicians. Global Pediatric Health. (in press). Doi 1 0 .1 1 7 7 /2 3 3 3 7 9 4 X2 1 1 0 4 6 4 3 0.
- *Van Fossen, C.A., SPratt, K.J., Cotto-Maisonet,, J., & Eneli, I. (in press). Family Functioning Assessment in a Community Sample of African American Caregivers and Children. Contemporary Family Therapy.
- *Van Fossen, C.A., Wexler, R., Purtell, K. M., Slesnick, N., Taylor, C., SPratt, K.J. (2021). Family Functioning Assessment and Child Psychosocial Symptoms in Family Medicine. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 62, 284-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2021.07.018. IF=2.14
- *Van Fossen, C.A., Wexler, R., Purtell, K. M., Slesnick, N., Taylor, C., SPratt, K.J. (in press). Family Functioning Screening, Referral, and Behavioral Health Utilization in a Family Medicine Setting. Families, Systems, and Health. IF = 1.29
- Pratt, K. J., *Hill, E. B., *Kiser, H. M., *VanFossen, C. E., *Braun, A., Taylor, C. A., & Spees, C. (2021). Changes in Parent and Child Skin Carotenoids, Weight, and Dietary Behaviors over Parental Weight Management. Nutrients, 13(7), 2227. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu13072227. IF = 5.7
- Pratt, K.J., *Kiser, H., *Ferber, M.F. et al. Impaired Family Functioning Affects 6-Month and 12-Month Postoperative Weight Loss. OBES SURG 31, 3598–3605 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-021-05448-0
- Pratt, K.J., *VanFossen, C., *Kiser, H., *Whiting, R., Spees, C., Taylor, C., Eneli, I., Noria, S. (2021). Dyadic reports of weight control practices, sedentary behaviors, and family functioning and communication between adult weight management patients and their children. Obes Sci Pract, 7(3), 326-334. https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.481
- *Ferriby, M., Noria, S., Focht, B., Wallace, L., Needleman, B., sPratt, K.J. (2021). Effect of Family Member Attendance at Bariatric Surgery Appointments on Patient and Family Member Health Outcomes. Obesity Surgery, 31(3), 1073-1081. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-020-05041-x IF = 3.6.
- Skelton, J.A.,*VanFossen, C., Harry, G., sPratt, K.J. Family Dynamics and Pediatric Weight Management: putting the Family into family-based treatment. Invited submission to Current Obesity Reports. 2020; 9: 434-441. IF = 3.5.
- Papadakis, J.L, Buchanan C.L, Chan, Y.M., Crerand, C.E., Hansen-Moore, J., Kapa, H.M., Nahata, L., Pratt, K.J., Tishelman, A.C., Chen, D. (2020). Fertility Discussions: Perspectives of Adolescents and Young Adults with Differences of Sex Development. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology. (Accepted 8/25/2020)
- Pratt, K.J., Skelton J.A., Lewis, K.H., Taylor, C.A., Spees, C., Brown, C.L. (2020). Family Meal Practices and Weight Talk of Adult Weight Management and Weight Loss Surgery Patients. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 52(6), 579-587. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2020.04.001. IF = 3.31.
- *Kiser, H., *VanFossen, C., sPratt, K. (2020). Parent-child communication around parental weight loss and bariatric surgery. Obesity Surgery. IF = 3.6.
- Brown, C.L., Skelton, J.A., Palakshappa, D., sPratt, K.J. (2020). High prevalence of food insecurity in weight management and bariatric surgery patients. Obesity Surgery, 30(9), 3634-3637. IF = 3.6.
- Pratt K.J., & Sonney, J.T. (2020). Family science and family-based research integrated health care: Future considerations for Families, Systems, & Health. Families, Systems, & Health. Accepted, invited editorial. IF = 1.8.
- Albright, C.A., Pratt, K., Halshult, H., Martin, S., Brown, C., Lewis, K., Skelton, J.A. (2020). Family members' experiences with adult participation in weight management programs: Triadic perspectives from patients, partners and children. Clinical Obesity. 2020. doi: 10.1111/cob.12354. IF = 1.65.
- Pratt, K., *Cotto, J., Xu, J., Watowicz, R.P., Walston, M., Eneli, I. (2019). Adolescents and Parents’ Perspectives of a revised Protein-Sparing Modified Fast for Adolescents with Severe Obesity. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(17), 3385. IF = 2.145.
- Eneli, I., Xu, J., Tindall, A., Watowicz, R., Worthington, J., Tanner, K., Pratt, K., Walston, M. (2019). Using a Revised Protein Sparing Modified Fast (rPSMF) for Children and Adolescents with Severe Obesity: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(17), 3061. IF = 2.145.
- Gunther, C., Rogers, C., Holloman, C., Hopkins, L., Anderson, S., Miller, C., Copeland, K.A., Dollahite, J., Pratt, K.J., Webster, A., Labyk, A., Penicka, C., (2019). Child diet and health outcomes of the simple suppers program: a 10-week, 2 group quasi-experimental family meals trial. BMC Public Health. IF = 2.57. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7930-7.
- Pratt, K., Lazorick, S., Eneli, I., Collier, D., & Skelton, J. (2019). Providers’ involvement of blended families in pediatric weight management programs. Families, Systems, & Health, 37(4), 320. IF = 1.8.
- *Ferriby, M., Noria. S., Focht. B., Wallace, L., Needleman, B., sPratt, K., (2019). Rationale and design of a feasibility and acceptability RCT of romantic partner and support figure attendance during bariatric surgery visits. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communication, 15, 100422. IF = .98.
- Brown, C., Pratt, K., Martin, S., Hulshult, H., Skelton, J. (2019). Weight Control Practices in Children of Parents Attending Weight Management. Childhood Obesity, 15(7), 451-458. doi: 10.1089/chi.2019.0089. IF = 2.43.
- Pratt, K., *Ferriby, M., Brown, C. Noria, S., Needleman, B., Skelton, J. (2019). Adult weight management patients’ perceptions of family dynamics and weight status. Clinical Obesity, 9(5), e12326. IF = 1.65.
- Eneli, I.U., Watowicz, R.P., Xu, J., Tindall, A., Walston, M., Tanner, K., & Pratt, K. (2019). Rationale and design of a pilot study to evaluate the acceptability and effectiveness of a revised protein sparing modified fast (rPSMF) for severe obesity in a pediatric tertiary care obesity clinic. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications, 15, 100388. doi.org/10.1016/j.conctc.2019.100388. IF = .98.
- Pratt, K., *Van Fossen, C., Berge, J., Murray, R., Skelton, J. (2019). Youth Weight Status and Family Functioning in Pediatric Primary Care. Clinical Obesity, 9(4), e12314. IF = 1.65. DOI: 10.1111/cob.12314
- Pratt, K., Skelton, J., Eneli, I., Collier, D., & Lazorick, S. (2019). Providers’ involvement of parents, families, and family dynamics in youth weight management programs. Global Pediatric Health, 5. https://doi.org/10.1177/2333794X18817134.
- *Ferriby, M., sPratt, K., Noria, S., Needleman, B. (2018). Associations between romantic relationship factors and body mass index among weight loss surgery patients. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 45(4), 719-732. IF = 2.528
- Pratt, K., Jalilvand, A., Needleman, B., Urse, K., *Ferriby, M., & Noria, S. (2018). Postoperative Outcomes based on Patient Participation in a Pre-surgery Education and Weight Management Program. SOARD, 14(11), 1714-1723. IF = 4.942
- *Van Fossen, C., sPratt, K., Murray, R., Skelton, J. (2018). Family Functioning in Pediatric Primary Care Patients. Clinical Pediatrics. IF = 1.03
- Pratt, K. & Skelton, J. (2018). Families’ organization around weight-related behaviors in childhood obesity treatment: A family systems theory-informed approach to assessment and treatment. Academic Pediatrics, 18(6), 620-627. IF = 2.72
- Hicks, A., sPratt, K., Cottrill, C. (2018). The relationship between trauma and weight status among adolescents in eating disorder treatment. Appetite. IF = 2.691
- Pratt, K., *Ferriby, Noria, S., Skelton, J., Taylor, C., & Needleman, B. (2018). Perceived child weight status, family structure and functioning, and support for health behaviors in bariatric surgery patients. Families, Systems, & Health. doi: 10.1037/fsh0000317. IF = 1.131
- Eneli, I.U., Howell, C., Rose, M.E., Pratt, K., Lovegrove, E.L., Domrose, E.L., & Polas, P.J. (2018). The Primary Care Obesity Network: Translating Expert Committee Guidelines on Childhood Obesity into Practice. Clinical Pediatrics, 57(9), 1069-1079. https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922817747072. IF = .886
- *Ferriby, M., sPratt, K., Noria, S., & Needleman, B. A comparison of perceived and calculated weight status classification congruence between pre- and post-bariatric surgery patients. (2017). Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 13(8), 1405-1411. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2017.05.013. IF = 4.942
- Pratt, K. *Cotto, J., Goodway, J. (2017). Engaging the family to promote child physical activity. American College of Sports Medicine Health and Fitness Journal: Behavioral Change Theme Issue. Invited Lead Author. ACSM’s Health and Fitness Journal, 21(5), 27-32. IF = .38
- Pratt, K. *Van Fossen, C, *Cotto Maisonet, J., *Palmer, E., & Eneli, I. (2017). Mothers' Perspectives on the Development of Their Preschoolers' Dietary and Physical Activity Behaviors and Parent-Child Relationship. Clinical Pediatrics, 56(8), 766-775. DOI: 10.1177/0009922816684598. IF = .886
- Rogers, K.*, Anderson, S. Dollahite, J., Hill, J., Holloman, C., Miller, C., Pratt, K., Gunther, C. (2017). Methods and design of a 10-week multicomponent family meals intervention: a two group quasi-experimental effectiveness trial. BMC Public Health, 17(1), 50-60. DOI 10.1186/s12889-016-3908-x. IF = 2.209
- *Palmer, L., sPratt, K., & Goodway, J. (2017). A review of play therapy interventions for chronic illness: Applications to childhood obesity prevention and treatment. International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(3), 125-135. IF = NA
- Berge, J.M., Pratt, K., Miller, L. (2016). Weight Talk and Weight Teasing in Romantic Relationships: What do they Sound Like and How do Partners Respond? Families, Systems, & Health, 34(3), 213-220. doi.org/10.1037/fsh0000223. IF = 1.131
- Pratt, K., *Balk, E., *Ferriby, M., Wallace, L., Noria, S., & Needleman, B. (2016). Weight loss surgery candidates’ peer and romantic relationships and associations with health behaviors. Obesity Surgery, 26(11), 2764-2771. DOI: 10.1007/s11695-016-2196-y. IF = 3.346
- Cravens, J.D, Pratt, K.,J. *Palmer, E.N, *Amar, R. (2016). Couple and Family Therapy Students’ views on a weight and body awareness curriculum. Contemporary Family Therapy, 38(2), 210-220. DOI 10.1007/s10591-015-9366-2. IF= .45
- Pratt, K., *Palmer, E.N., Cravens, J.D., *Ferriby, M., *Balk, E., & *Cai, Y. (2016). Explicit weight-bias among marriage and family therapy students. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 42(2), 287-301. IF = 2.528
- *Ferriby, M., sPratt, K., *Balk, E., Feister, K., & Needleman, B. (2015). Marriage and weight-loss surgery: A narrative review of patient and spouse outcomes. Obesity Surgery, 12, 2436-2442. IF = 3.346
- Lamson, A., Pratt, K., Sumner, S., Earles, J., *Amar, R.. (2015). Military Youth and Obesity: A review of the existing literature 1990-2012. Contemporary Family Therapy, 37(4), 364-371. IF = .45
- Pratt, K., Collier, D., *Walton, N., Lazorick, S., & Lamson, A. (2015). Predictors of childhood obesity treatment follow up. Families Systems & Health, 33(1), 55-60. IF = 1.131
- Erickson, M., Lutes, L., Crawford, Y., Pratt, K., Henes, S., Cox, J., Gross-McMillian, A., & Collier, D. (2014). Camp-Based Immersion Treatment for Obese, Low SES, Multiethnic Adolescents. Childhood Obesity, 10(2), 122-131.
- Pratt, K., Lamson, A., *Radley, S. (2015). Self-reported strengths and concerns of treatment seeking overweight youth and their caregivers. Children’s Health Care, 44(1), 87-103. IF = 1.242
- Pratt, K., *Palmer, L., & *Walker, M. (2015). Approaches to weight-related problems: A narrative intervention for overweight youth. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 26(1), 19-24. IF = NA
- Pratt, K., McRitchie, S., Collier, D., Lutes, L., Sumner, S. (2015). Parent & family influences on adopting healthy weight-related behaviors: Views and perceptions of obese African-American female adolescents. Journal of the National Medical Association, 102(2), 74-79. IF = 1.106
- Pratt, K. & *Holowacz, E., & *Walton, N. (2014). MFTs’ perspectives on treating overweight clients and their weight-related behaviors. American Journal of Family Therapy, 42(5), 364-385. IF = .525
- Pratt, K., Lazorick, S., Lamson, A., Ivanescu, A. & Collier, D. (2013). Quality of Life and BMI changes in youth participating in an integrated pediatric obesity treatment program. Health & Quality of Life Outcomes, 11, 116-125. IF = 2.212
- Selewski, D., Collier, D., MacHardy, J., Gross, H., Pickens, E., Cooper, A.W., Bullock, S., Earls, M.F., Pratt, K., Scanlon, K., McNeil, J., Messer, K., Lu, Y., Thissen, D., DeWalt, D. & Gipson, D. (2013). Promising insights into the health related quality of life for children with severe obesity. Health & Quality of Life Outcomes, 11(1), 29-39. IF = 2.212
- Pratt, K. & Greer, A. (2012). Debating Parental Responsibility for Childhood Obesity: Ethical and Legal Considerations. Bariatric Nursing and Surgical Patient Care, 7(3), 146-149. IF = .115
- Mendenhall, T., Pratt, K., & Phelps, K. (2012). Advancing medical family therapy through research: A consideration of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods designs. Contemporary Family Therapy, 34, 187-203. IF = .45
- Pratt, K. & Lamson, A. (2012). Supervision in Behavioral Health: Implications for students, interns, and new professionals. Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research, 39(3), 285-294. IF = 1.617
- Pratt, K., Lamson, A., Swanson, M., Lazorick, S., & Collier, D. (2012). The Importance of Assessing for Depression with HRQOL in Treatment Seeking Obese Youth and their Caregivers. Quality of Life Research, 21(8), 1367-1377. IF = 2.429
- Pathmasiri, W., Pratt, K., Collier, D., & Lutes, L., Sumner, S. (2012). Integrating metabolomic signatures and psychosocial parameters in responsivity to an immersion treatment model for adolescent obesity. Metabolomics, 8, 1037-1051. IF = 3.661
- Pratt, K., Lamson, A., Lazorick, S., Collier, D., White, C., White, M., & Swanson, M. (2011). Conceptualizing Care for Childhood Obesity: a three-world view. Journal of Children’s Services, 6(3), 156-171. IF = NA
- Pratt, K., Lamson, A., Lazorick, S., Swanson, M., *Cravens, J., & Collier, D. (2011). A Biopsychosocial Pilot Study of Overweight Youth and Care Providers’ Perceptions of Quality of Life. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 26(6), e61-e68. IF = 1.016
- Pratt, K., Lamson, A., Collier, D., Crawford, Y., Harris, N., Gross, K., Ballard, S., Sarvey, S., & *Saporito, M. (2009). Camp Golden Treasures: A multidisciplinary weight-loss and healthy lifestyle camp for adolescent girls. Family, Systems, & Health, 21(1), 116-124. IF =1.131
- Pratt, K., *Van Fossen C., Uztan D., Berge, J. (2020). Invited lead author for Child Health: Prevention and Intervention for Child Physical Health Concerns Section: Volume II, Relational Approaches with Children and Adolescents. Wiley.
- Pratt, K., *Van Fossen, C., Didericksen, K. *Aamar, R., & Berge, J. (2018). Invited lead author for Part I, Chapter 3: Medical Family Therapy in Pediatrics, in Clinical Methods in Medical Family Therapy, Springer.
- Berge, J., & Pratt, K. (2014). Childhood Obesity, Prevention and Treatment. (Eds.) Carlson, J. & Dermer, S. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Marriage, Family, and Couples Counseling.
- Lamson, A., Pratt, K., Hodgson, J., *Koehler, A. (2014). Invited co-author for Chapter 8: MedFT supervision in context published in Medical Family Therapy: Advanced Applications.
- Mendenhall, T. Pratt, K., Phelps, K., Baird, M., & *Younkin, F. (2014). Invited co-author for Chapter 9: Advancing Medical Family Therapy through Research: A Consideration of Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed-Method Designs to be published in Medical Family Therapy: Advanced Applications.
- Pratt, K., & Cravens, C. (2014). Weight and Body Awareness: Considerations for the supervisor and clinician in training. (Eds.) Bean R., Davis, S., & Davey, M. Increased Self-Awareness: Experiential Exercises for Dedicated Clinicians and Supervisors.
- Pratt, K. & Lamson, A. (2011). Supervision for the integrated behavioral health provider. In R. Curtis & E. Christian (Ed.) Integrated Care: Applying theory to practice. New York, NY. Haworth Press.
- Pratt, K. & Lamson, A. (2011). Childhood obesity: The epidemic of today’s youth. Originally published as Clinical Update in Family Therapy Magazine July-August, 2009. Revised and updated for book publication June, 2011. Clinical Updates for Family Therapists: Research and treatment approaches for issues affecting today’s families, Volume 4. Alexandria, VA. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Press.