Human Nutrition (HUMNNTR-MN)
Completion of the undergraduate Human Nutrition minor could benefit students interested in pursuing careers in food, fitness, hospitality, business, education, nursing and other health-related professions.
The minor in human nutrition consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours and is designed to provide the student with an introduction to the area of human nutrition. The minor is composed of the following courses:
Required Courses (6 credits)
- HUMNNTR 2210 Science of Human Nutrition (3) OR HUMNNTR 2310 Fundamentals of Nutrition (3) (Prereq: BIO 1113 or 1101 and CHEM 1210 or 1610 or 1910H and CHEM 1220, or 1620, or 1920H or 1250)
- HUMNNTR 3506 Nutrition across the Life Span (3) (Prereq: 2210 or 2310)
Choose remaining courses (at least 9 semester hours) from the following:
- HUMNNTR 2295 Careers in Nutrition (1)
- HUMNNTR 2314 Fundamentals of Food (3) (Prereq: 2210 or 2310 and Human Nutrition major or minor)
- HUMNNTR 2450 Foodservice Sanitation and Safety (1)
- HUMNNTR 3704 Public Health Nutrition (2) (Prereq: 2210 or 2310)
- HUMNNTR 3313 Food in Different Cultures (2) (Prereq: 2210 or 2310)
- HUMNNTR 3415 Global Nutrition Issues (2) (Prereq: 2210 or 2310)
- HUMNNTR 4609 Macronutrient Metabolism (3) (Prereq: C- of above in 2310; and BIOCHEM 2210 and CHEM 2310, or BIOCHEM 4511, or MOLBIOC 3311 and 3312; and EEOB 2520 or PHYSIO 3200)
- HUMNNTR 4610 Micronutrient & Phytochemical Metabolism (3) (Prereq: 4609 and C- of higher in 2310 and Human Nutrition major)
- HUMNNTR 5705 Nutrition and Physical Performance (2) (Prereq: 4609)
Human Nutrition minor program guidelines
Required for graduation: No
Credit hours required: A minimum of 15 credit hours. 1000- level courses shall not be counted in the minor. At least 6 credit hrs must be upper-level hours as defined by the College of Education and Human Ecology. Transfer and EM credit hours allowed A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination toward the minor. Overlap with the GE A student is permitted to overlap up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.
Overlap with the major and additional minor(s):
The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
The minor must contain a minimum of 12 hours distinct from the major and/or additional minor(s).
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.
- No more than 3 credit hours of coursework graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory may count toward the minor.
X193 credits: No more than 3 credit hours.
Minor approval: Early declaration of the minor and early consultation with an academic advisor in the College of Education and Human Ecology to discuss course choices is highly encouraged. After an advisor in the EHE Office of Academic Affairs has approved the Minor Program Form, please return the completed form to your college of enrollment.
Filing the minor program form: The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor. Early declaration is highly encouraged.
Changing the minor: Once the minor program form is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the academic program coordinator in the College of Education and Human Ecology.