Colette T. Dollarhide, Ed.D., NCC, ASC, LPC-S and Associate Professor of Counselor Education, has been a counselor educator since 1994. Her experiences include serving as a dean of education for a business college, a college counselor, a career counselor and administrator, and a consultant for school counseling. She has been involved with schools as a volunteer and consultant in five states since 1995, and has authored two textbooks and numerous professional studies on school counseling. Her primary teaching assignments at the master’s level include school counseling, supervision, theories of counseling, and multicultural counseling. At the doctoral level, her primary teaching assignments include pedagogy and professional identity. She also serves the profession in OACES, OSCA, and JHC.
- EdD, Counseling and Educational Psychology, Counselor Education (CACREP program), University of Nevada, Reno, 1994
- MA, Counseling and Educational Psychology, Dual Track: College Student Development and Career Counseling, University of Nevada, Reno, May 1988
- BA, Political Science, California State University, Fullerton, 1980
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services
- Affective taxonomy in counselor education
- Counselor education
- Leadership in school counseling
- Professional identity development of counselors
- School Counseling
- Social justice within counseling
- Associate Professor with tenure, The Ohio State University, 2012 to present (Visiting Assistant Professor, 2007-2010; Senior Lecturer, 2010-2012)
- Editor, Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 2009-2012
- Assistant Professor, University of South Carolina, August 2004 to December 2006 (Adjunct Professor, 2003-2004)
- Associate Professor, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; 1998 to 2003
- Consultant, Hamilton School District, Hamilton, WI: Summer – Fall 2002
- Consultant, Janesville School District, Janesville, WI: 1999 -- 2001
- Jackson Elementary School: Home/School Partnerships to Increase Student
- Achievement, Spring 00 – Spring 01 (1st & 2nd year award)
- Franklin Middle School: Integrating Differentiated Instruction with Developmental
- Student Competencies, Summer 00 -- Summer 01 (1st & 2nd year award)
- School Counselor (volunteer), New Berlin Schools, Elmwood Elementary School, 1998 to 1999
- School District Consultant (volunteer), Whitewater Schools, Fall 1998 to 1999
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator, Emporia State University; 1995 to 1998
- School Counselor (volunteer), Emporia High School; Fall 1997 (6 hrs/wk)
- School District Consultant (volunteer), Washoe County School District; 1994 to 1995
- Director, Student Development Programs, University of Nevada, Reno; 1994 to 1995
- (Career Development Center evolved into Student Development Programs, including Orientation, Academic Advising, Experiential Programs, Professional School Advisement, Recruiting, Placement)
- Director, Career Development Center, University of Nevada, Reno; 1988 to 1994
- Instructor / Counselor / Academic Advisor, Reno Business College; 1982 to 1988; and
- University of Nevada, Reno; 1987 and 1988
- Dean of Education (with teaching and advising responsibilities), Reno Business College; 1984 to 1987
- Director of Evening College (with teaching and advising responsibilities), Reno Business College; 1982 to 1984
- MOU, Encore High School, Reynoldsburg
- MOU, Independence High School, Columbus
- MOU, Metro High School, Columbus
- AT&T School Success Special Grants Program: Student Success Centers. ($413,757; four-year project), 2008-2012.
Textbooks and Chapters
- Dollarhide, C. T. (2012). Chasing the American Dream: Social class and career counseling. In D. Sturm & D. Gibson (Eds.). Social class and the helping professions. Routledge.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Granello, D. (2011). Humanistic Counselor Education and Supervision. In S. McGowan, M. Scholl, & J. T. Hansen (Eds.). Humanistic Perspectives on Counseling Issues.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Saginak, K. (2011). Comprehensive school counseling programs: A K-12 delivery system in action (2nd ed). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Hinkelman, L. (2008). A safety and violence prevention curriculum. Columbus, OH: Ohio Department of Education.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Saginak, K. (2007). Comprehensive school counseling programs: A K-12 delivery system in action. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Dollarhide, C. T., & Saginak, K. (2002). School counseling in the secondary school: Comprehensive process and program. Boston; Allyn & Bacon.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Cooper, J., Dollarhide, C. T., Radliffe, K., & Gibbs, T. (in press). No lone wolf: A multidisciplinary approach to creating safe schools for LGBTQ youth through the development of allies. Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling, Special Issue, volume 8(4).
- Dollarhide, C. T., Bowen, N., Baker, C., Kassoy, F., Mayes, R., & Baughman, A. (2014). Exploring the work experiences of school counselors of color. Professional School Counseling, 17, 52-62.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Oliver, K. (2014). Humanistic professional identity: The trans-theoretical tie that binds. Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 53, 203-217.
- Moss, J., Gibson, D. M., & Dollarhide, C. T. (2014). Professional identity development: A grounded theory of transformational tasks of counselors. Journal of Counseling and Development, 92, 3-12.
- Dollarhide, C. T., Gibson, D. M., & Moss, J. (2013). Professional identity development of counselor education doctoral students. Counselor Education and Supervision, 52, 137-150. DOI: 10.1002/j.1556-6978.2013.00034.x
- Dollarhide, C. T. (2013). Using a values-based taxonomy in counselor education. Counseling and Values, 58(2), 221-236.
- Dollarhide, C. T., Adams, M. C., Baker, C. A., Dagg, D.R., & Taylor, D. T. (2012). Conditions that create therapeutic connection: A phenomenological study. Counseling and Values, 57, 147-161.
- Gibson, D. M., Dollarhide, C. T., & Moss, J. (2010). Professional identity development: A grounded theory of transformational tasks of new counselors. Counselor Education and Supervision, 50, 21-38. *ACES OUTSTANDING ARTICLE AWARD WINNER
- Gibson, D.M., Dollarhide, C. T., & McCallum, L. J. (2010). Non-tenured assistant professors as ACA division presidents: The new look of leadership in counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 88, 285-292.
- Dollarhide, C. T. & Gibson, D. M. (2009). Individual Psychology in school counselor leadership: Implications for practice. The Journal of Individual Psychology, 64, 468-479.
- Dollarhide, C. T., Gibson, D. M., & Saginak, K. A. (2008). Leadership in school counseling: A year-long qualitative study. Professional School Counseling, 11(4), 262-271.
- Dollarhide, C. T., Smith, A. T., & Lemberger, M. E. (2008). Transparent counseling pedagogy: A strategy for teaching clinical thinking. VISTAS Online for ACA 2008 National Convention. Retrieve at http://counselingoutfitters.com/vistas/vistas08/Dollarhide.htm
- Dollarhide, C. T., Smith, A. T., & Lemberger, M. E. (2007). Counseling made transparent: Pedagogy for a counseling theories class. Counselor Education and Supervision, 46, 242-253.
- Dollarhide, C.T., Smith, A. T., & Lemberger, M. L. (2007). Critical incidents in the development of supportive principals: Facilitating school counselor-principal relationships. Professional School Counseling, 10, 360-369.
- Lemberger, M. E., & Dollarhide, C. T. (2006). Encouraging the supervisee’s style of counseling: An Adlerian model for counseling supervision. Journal of Individual Psychology, 62(2), 106-125.
- Dollarhide, C. T., & Lemberger, M. L. (2006). “No Child Left Behind”: Implications for school counseling. Professional School Counselor, 9, 295-304.
- Dollarhide, C. T. (2003). School counselors as program leaders: Applying leadership contexts to school counseling. Professional School Counseling, 6, 304-308.
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, May 2014, London, UK. Transformational Tasks and the Role of Professional Relationships: A Grounded Theory Approach to Understanding Professional Identity Development (Gibson, Conley, & Dollarhide)
- American School Counselor Association, Summer 2014, Orlando, FL. Leadership: The Full Picture (Dollarhide)
- Association for counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Fall 2013, Denver, CO. Using Cognitive and Affective Taxonomies to Affirm Diverse Learning Styles (Dollarhide & Granello). Affirming Diversity & Promoting Unity for Racially Diverse School Counselors: A Call to Allies (Baker, Dollarhide, Bowen, Mayes, Baughman, & Kassoy). Professional Identity Development in the Counseling Profession: Similar & Diverse Perspectives (Gibson, Dollarhide, Leach, Calley, Goodrich, Hawley, & Luke)
- Association for Counselor Education & Supervision Conference, Fall 2011, Nashville, TN.
- Professional Identity Development in Counselor Education (Gibson, Dollarhide & Moss). Teaching Multicultural Counseling (Baker, Dollarhide, & Bowen) Poster session
- American Counseling Association Annual Convention, March 2011, New Orleans, LA.
- Becoming a Multicultural Professor: Insights for evolving a multicultural professorial identity (Dollarhide, Baker & Bowen). Publishing in ACA Journals (Council of ACA Editors)
- American Counseling Association Annual Convention, March 2010; Pittsburgh, PA.
- Publishing in ACA Journals (Council of ACA Editors)
- Association for Counselor Education & Supervision Conference, Fall 2009; San Diego, CA.
- Creating an Effective Collaborative for Qualitative Research (Dollarhide & O’Beirne)
- American School Counselor Association Annual Convention, 2009, Dallas, TX.
- Superintendents’ Perceptions and Expectations of School Counselors (Gerhardt & Dollarhide)
- American School Counselor Association Annual Convention, 2008, Atlanta, GA.
- School Counselors as Leaders: Applying Discoveries from a Year-Long Study (Dollarhide, Gibson, & Saginak)
- American Counseling Association International Convention, 2008, Honolulu, HI.
- Transparent Counseling Pedagogy: A Strategy for Teaching Clinical Thinking (Dollarhide, Smith, & Lemberger)
- NorthCentral ACES Biannual Conference, 2014, St. Louis, MO. Advocacy and Allyhood: Voices for Social Justice (Dollarhide, Clevenger, Dogan, & Edwards)
- NorthCentral ACES Biannual Conference, 2012, Kansas City, MO. Teaching in Counselor Education (Cox, Yaeger, & Dollarhide). Diverse School Counselors / Environment Interaction: Implications for Counselor Education (Dollarhide, Baker, Mayes, & Baughman).
- Ohio Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (OACES) Spring Conference, April, 2014, Columbus, OH. The Cognitive and Affective Taxonomies in Counselor Education (Granello & Dollarhide)
- All Ohio Counselor Conference, November 2012, Columbus, OH. Diverse School Counselors / Environment Interaction: Leadership and Advocacy (Dollarhide, Bowen, Kassoy, Baughman & Mayes).
- Transformational Tasks for Counselors: Developing Professional Identity (Dollarhide). Undocumented, Unseen, Unknown: Effective Interventions for At-Risk Immigrant Youth (Saunders, Gibbs, & Dollarhide)
- Ohio Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (OACES) Spring Conference, April 2012, Dublin, OH. Contributing to the Scholarly Literature: Reflections from a Panel of Editors (Dollarhide, Osborn, Ritchie, & West). Your First Year and Adjunct Teaching in Counselor Education (Dollarhide)
- Ohio Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (OACES) Spring Conference, April 2011, Dublin, OH. Supervision-of-Supervision: Multilayered, Systemic, Supervision Teaming (Dollarhide, Casamassimo, Kassoy, Mayes, Baughman)
- All Ohio Counselor’s Conference, November 2010, Columbus, OH. Student Success Skills: Making Progress toward Graduation for Urban Students (Dollarhide, Brigman, & Casamassimo). Fostering a College-Bound Culture in Every School (Dollarhide, Wade, Kraus, & Brown)
- All Ohio Counselor’s Conference, November 2009, Columbus, OH. The Healing Process: A Study of Therapeutic Connection (Dollarhide, Adams, Baker, Dagg & Taylor). Talking with School Administrators: The School Counselor’s Voice (Rainey & Dollarhide)
- Ohio Supervision Summit, OACES, April 2009, Columbus, OH. Supervision: Using Cognitive Complexity to Promote Professional Identity (Dollarhide & Granello)
- Kent State University, Chi Sigma Iota Supervision Summit, April 2009, Kent, OH. Ethics in Supervision: Case Studies (Dollarhide)
- All Ohio Counselor’s Conference, November 2008, Columbus, OH. The Safety and Violence Prevention Curriculum (Dollarhide, Hinkelman, & Givens)