Leah M. Herner-Patnode, Associate Professor of Special Education, has taught elementary to college students for over two decades. She has worked with students in inclusion settings and this has enhanced her research interests. Her major research interest is engaging preservice teachers in instruction that translates into culturally relevant teaching in the P-9 classroom. She is currently working on research with practicing teachers to study what approach works best for students with mathematical learning disabilities.
- EdD, Special Education, University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2000
- Areas of concentration - Learning Disability and Gifted Education
- MEd, Administration, University of Nevada Las Vegas, 1993
- BS, Elementary Education, Bowling Green State University, 1990
- Treasurer, Ohio Council Learning Disabilities
- Chair, Administrative Review Committee, Lima campus
December 2001- coauthor of the AACTE Award 2002: Best Practice Award for Service-Learning in Teacher Education
- Lee, H.J. & Herner-Patnode, L. (2011). Reflecting on portfolio development: How does the portfolio facilitate a preservice teacher’s growth? International Journal of Online Pedagogy and Course Design 1,(1). 65-79.
- Herner-Patnode,L., Lee, H. & Cristol, D. (2010) Effective Teacher Preparation: Working to Change Dispositions in New Teachers. In The Purposes, Practices, and Professionalism of Teacher Reflectivity:Insights for 21st century teachers and students. First ed. Edited by Edward Pultorak, Ph.D. Lanham, Maryland, USA: Rowman & Littlefield. 97-117.
- Lee, Y.A. & Herner-Patnode, L. (2010). Developing teacher candidates’ knowledge, skills, & dispositions to teach diverse students. Journal of Instructional Psychology 37, (3), 222-235.
- Herner-Patnode,L. (2009). Teaching Mathematics to Students With Learning Disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 45, (2),141-141.
- Herner-Patnode,L. (2009). Educator study groups a professional development tool to enhance inclusion. Intervention in School and Clinic, 45, (1), 24-30.
- Herner-Patnode, L & Lee, H. (2009). A capstone experience for preservice teachers: Building a web-based portfolio. Educational Technology and Society Journal, 2, (12), 101-110. http://www.ifets.info/index.php? http://www.ifets.info/issues.php?id=43.
- Herner-Patnode, L. (2009). Educator study groups: A professional development tool to enhance inclusion." Intervention in School and Clinic, 45,(1), 24-30.
- Herner-Patnode, L. (2013).Strategies for students with mathematical learning disabilities. Presentation for Council For Exceptional Children Conference, San Antonio, Texas. (April, 2013).
- Lee, H. L. & Herner-Patnode, L. (2012). Instructional strategies for students with mathematical learning disabilities. Presentation for 62nd annual Ohio Council Teacher of Mathematics, Columbus, Ohio.
- Herner-Patnode, L. & Lee, H. L. (2012). Teaching mathematics to students living in poverty. Presentation for the 62nd annual Ohio Council Teacher of Mathematics, Columbus, Ohio.
- Herner-Patnode, L, & Lee, H.L. "Poverty and LD: Can we improve learning opportunities?." Presented at 34th Annual International Conference on Learning Disabilities, Peers within Field., Austin, Texas, United States. (Oct 2012)