Dustin W. Miller, PhD, is the director of the EdD in Educational Administration and a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Educational Studies at The Ohio State University. Dr. Miller’s research interests focus on the principalship (high school in particular), the impact of scholarly practitioners in k-12 settings, and how professional learning supports educational change. He teaches courses on human resource management, school law, professional learning, research methods, and academic writing.
Dr. Miller spent 20 years in K-12 as a high school principal, middle school principal, director of secondary education, and an English teacher. He has served on the board of directors for the Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators (OASSA), including a term as the president. In addition to his service on the OASSA board of directors, he has chaired the Assistant Principal Committee, the Curriculum Leadership Committee, the Athletic Committee, and has presented at several OASSA conferences on topics varying from educational change in the 21st century to effective communication for leaders. He also holds an appointment on the Ohio Department of Education Standards Board.
Dr. Miller is a member of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, the American Educational Research Association, the University Council for Educational Administration, and the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate.
- PhD, Educational Administration, The Ohio State University
- MA, Education, The Ohio State University
- BS, Education, The Ohio State University
- Educational Administration
- The Principalship (High School)
- Professional Learning
- Purposeful Communication
- Understanding Leadership Stress (Weight of Responsibility)
- Doctorate of Education (EdD)
- Scholarly Practitioner
- Dissertations in Practice
- Attributes of EdD Students
- Educational Statistics and Research Methods
- Program Evaluation
- Educational Measurement
- Mixed Methods
- Case Study
- Schwartz, R., Deagle, T., & Miller, D. (2019). Navigating School Transitions (ES, MS, HS). Presentation at the Be Well Parent University by Dublin City Schools. Dublin, Ohio, USA.
- Hutton, B., Miller, D., Puga, C., Kasper, J., & Garrison, D. R. (2019). Creating Supportive and Inclusive Environments for LGBTQ Students and Educators. Presentation at the Time to Thrive Conference. Anaheim, California, USA.
- Miller, D. & Schwanke, J. (2019). You’re Not Alone: Tips for Being an Effective School Leader in Trying Times. Presentation at the Northwest Ohio Educational Research Council. Bowling Green, Ohio, USA.
- Miller, D. (2018). You Said What? How to Communicate Effectively With Your Colleagues, Parents, and Administrators. Presentation at the Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators Assistant Principal Conference. Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Miller, D. (2017). Fostering a Culture of Happiness for Your Child as a Learner. Presentation at Dublin City Schools Parent University. Dublin, Ohio, USA.
- Miller, D., Beatty, M., & Bauer, A. (2016). The Freshman: How to Transition the Whole Student! Presentation at the Educators Connect for Success Conference. Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Miller, D. (2014). Taking the Reins: Preparing for Your First Principalship. Presentation at the Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators Assistant Principal Conference. Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Mecoli, K., Dorsch, N., Moorhead, M., & Miller, D. (2014). Preparing School Leaders through Partnerships of Practice. Presentation at the Ohio Deans Compact on Exceptional Children. Dublin, Ohio, USA.
- Poirier, J. & Miller, D. (2013). Strategies to Enhance Conditions for Learning for LGBT Students. Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the Michigan SOGI Education Conference. Oakland, Michigan, USA.
- Calabrese, R.L., Cohen, E., & Miller, D. (2012). Transformational Partnership: An Appreciative Inquiry Approach to Creating an Empowered, Collaborative Education-Focused Organization. Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Miller, D. (2012). Discovering the Hidden Potential of Teachers and Students Through the Use of Appreciative Inquiry. Presentation at the Battelle Conference for Kids – Connect for Success Conference. Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Miller, D. (2012). Supporting Your Faculty & Administrators Through Curricular Changes. Presentation at the Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators Instructional Leadership Conference. Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Beard, K., Thompson, M., Mecoli, K., Miller, D. & Axner, D. (2011). A Field Trip Outside of the Ivory Tower: The Redesign and Delivery of an Innovative Educational Leadership Program. Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the University Council for Educational Administration Convention. Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.