Dr. Miriam Shenkar received her doctorate from The Ohio State University (Educational Policy and Leadership). She is the author of a book on the emergence of Israel Studies as a scholarly discipline (The Politicization Of Israel Studies). She has taught courses on the history of education, as well as on special topics in international education, comparative education (including the history of NGOs) and the history of creativity (including promoting creativity in the classroom). She has a Masters Degree in Asian Studies (focus on the juku system) from the University of Hawaii, and an undergraduate degree from Barnard College.
- PhD, Policy and Leadership, The Ohio State University, 2010
- Dissertation Title: The Politics of Normalization: Israel Studies in the Academy(Advisor: Dr. Robert Lawson)
- MA, Asian Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1996
- Thesis: An Ethnographic Study of Infant Kumon (Advisor: Dr. Joseph Tobin)
- Graduate certificate, Journalism, Tel-Aviv University (Israel), 1984
- BA, Economics, Barnard College, 1980
- 2010 - 2013 Senior Lecturer, Department of Educational Policy & Leadership, The Ohio State University
- 2000 - 2008 Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Near Eastern Languages (NELC), The Ohio State University
- 2000 - 2002 Hebrew drama/literature curriculum advisor, Columbus Torah Academy (high school)
- 1995 - 1996 English teacher for Japanese expatriates and their children, Infant Kumon Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1988 - 1989 Editor and Researcher, East-West Center, Minerals Policy Program, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1985 - 1989 Freelance and columnist for The Far Eastern Economic Review (Hong Kong), The Jerusalem Post (Israel), and The Israel Economist
Awarded a Graduate Fellowship from the Melton Center for Jewish Studies at the Ohio State University
- Shenkar, Miriam, and Shenkar, Oded. 2011. Labor conflict on the national stage: Metaphoric lenses in Israel’s teachers strike. Comparative Education Review, Vol.55, No.2.
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2011. Snapshot of an Emerging Discipline: The Ben-Gurion School of Israel Studies. Comparative and International Higher Education, Vol. 3, No.1.
- Shenkar, Miriam (2012). The Politicization of Israel Studies. Bialik Institute, Ben-Gurion University Press.
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2009. Book Review of Jakob Feldt, The Israeli Memory Struggle: History and Identity in the Age of Globalization. Israel Studies Forum, 24, 2, 118-9
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2000. Book Review of Eli Yassif, The Hebrew Folktale: History, Genre, Meaning. Folklore Bulletin, 16, 2, 2
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2012. A case study of Holocaust education in Germany. Accepted for publication in Peace education from the Grassroots, Edited by Ian Harris (2013, expected date).
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2012. Teaching Israel through film. Revised version submitted to Shofar, an Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2012. A Case Study of the Integration of Holocaust Education into a High School in Germany. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Comparative and International Education Society in Puerto Rico
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2008. Israel studies in Comparative Perspective. Paper presented at the Comparative International Education Society, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2007. Methodological Effectiveness of the Policy Interview and Israel studies. Paper presented at the Comparative International Education society, Chicago, Ill
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2007. How Broad versus How Deep? Israel studies Reconsidered. Paper presented at the Association for Israel Studies, Open University, Ra’anana, Israel
- Shenkar, Miriam. & Shenkar, Oded. 2006. Foreign Direct Investment in Israel. Paper presented at the Association for Israel Studies, Banff, Canada
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2005. The Scholar and Israel studies. Paper presented at a plenary session on Israel studies at the Association for Israel Studies, University of Arizona
Community Wide Presentations
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2012. Bezalel, Israel studies, and Functional creativity. Lecture given at Main Street Synagogue, Bexley, Ohio
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2008. David Ben-Gurion and Israel studies. Paper presented to the History of the Book/literacy studies group of The Ohio State University
- Shenkar, Miriam. 2008. David Ben-Gurion and the Intellectuals. Lecture given at Temple Israel, Columbus, Ohio