- PhD, Education (Social Foundations), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MAT, Science Education (Physics), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BMEd, Music (French Horn), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Educational Administration
- Gay/Lesbian Studies (LGBTQ)
- History of Education
- Educational leadership and administration
- Gender and sexuality
- Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education (Philosophy of Education)
- Women's Studies
- Ira Bogotch, Floyd Beachum, Jackie Blount, Jeff Brooks, and Fenwick English (2008). Radicalizing Educational Leadership: The Dimensions of Social Justice. Rotterdam, Netherlands: SensePublishing.
- Jackie Blount (2005). Fit to Teach: Same-Sex Desire, Gender, and School Work in the Twentieth Century. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Jackie Blount (1998). Destined to Rule the Schools: Women and the Superintendency, 1873-1995. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Jackie Blount (in press). "Teachers and Other Educators." In AERA Report: Research on LGBTQ Issues in Education. Washington, DC: AERA.
- Jackie Blount (in press). "Educational Leadership through Equity, Diversity, and Social Justice and Educational Leadership for the Privilege Imperative: The Historical Dialectic." In Handbook of Research on Educational Leadership for Diversity and Equity, eds. James Scheurich and Linda Tillman. NY: Routledge.
- Jackie Blount (2008). "Sexuality and Education" (Anchor essay). In Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education, ed. Eugene Provenzo. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Jackie Blount (2007). "Describing and Discharging Some Historical Tensions about Sexuality and Gender in School Leadership." In Keeping the Promise: Educational Leadership and the Promise of Democracy in Our Time, eds. Dennis Carlson and C. P. Gause. New York: Peter Lang.
- Jackie Blount (2006). "From Isolation to Imagined Communities of LGBT Teachers: Organizing after Stonewall." In Schools as Imagined Communities: The Creation of Identity, Meaning, and Conflict in U.S. History, eds. Sherman Dorn, Barbara Shircliffe, and Dierdre Cobb-Roberts. New York: Palgrave/St. Martin's.
- Jackie Blount (2002). "Ella Flagg Young and the Chicago Schools." In Founding Mothers and Others: Women Founders of Progressive Schools and Other Female Educational Leaders, eds. Alan Sadovnik and Susan Semel. New York: St. Martin's Press, 163-76.
- Marilyn Tallerico and Jackie Blount (2004). "Women and the Superintendency: Insights from Theory and History," Educational Administration Quarterly 40, 5: 633-662.
- Jackie Blount (2004). "From Exemplar to Deviant: Same-Sex Relationships among Women Superintendents, 1909-1976," Educational Studies 35, 2: 103-128.
- Jackie Blount (2003). "Homosexuality and School Superintendents: A Brief History," Journal of School Leadership 13, 1: 7-26.
- Jackie Blount (2000). "Spinsters, Mollycoddles, and Other Gender Transgressors in School Employment, 1850-1990," Review of Educational Research 70(1): 83-101.
- Jackie Blount (1999). "Manliness and the Construction of Men's and Women's Work in Schools, 1865-1941," International Journal of Leadership in Education 2(2): 55-68.
- Jackie Blount (1996). "Manly Men and Womanly Women: Deviance, Gender Role Polarization and the Shift in Women's Educational Employment, 1900-1976." Harvard Educational Review (Summer): 318-38.