Professor, Department of Educational Studies
Program Area: Quantitative Research, Evaluation and Measurement
- PhD, Measurement, Evaluation & Statistical Analysis, University of Chicago, 1997
- MS, Experimental Psychology, Colorado State University, 1991
- BS, Psychology, Northern Arizona University, 1988
- Measurement and Testing
- Education Policy
- Evidence-based reform
- Interventions for at-risk children
- Title I
- Educational Achievement
- Educational Statistics and Research Methods
- Causal models
- Research Design
HEROES i3 Development Grant External Evaluation ReportMay 31st, 2018
- Rodgers, E. M., D’Agostino, J. V., Harmey, S.J., Kelly, R.H., & Brownfield, K. S. (2016). Examining the nature of scaffolding in an early literacy intervention. Reading Research Quarterly, 51, 345-360.
- D’Agostino, J.V., & Harmey, S. (2016). An international meta-analysis of Reading Recovery. Journal of Education for Students Placed At-Risk, 21, 29-46.
- Welsh, M., Eastwood, M., D’Agostino, J.V. (2014). Conceptualizing teaching to the test under standards-based reform. Applied Measurement in Education, 27, 98-114.
- Bonner, S.M., & D’Agostino, J.V. (2011). A substantive process analysis of responses to items from the Multistate Bar Examination. Applied Measurement in Education, 25, 1-26.
- D’Agostino, J.V., Karpinski, A.C., & Welsh, M. E. (2011). A method to examine content domain structures. International Journal of Testing, 11, 295-307.
- Cimetta, A.D., D’Agostino, J.V., & Levin, J.R. (2010). Can high school achievement tests serve to select college students? Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 29(2), 3-12.
- Milman, L.H., Holland, A., Kaszniak, A.W., D’Agostino, J.V., Garrett, M., & Rapcsak, S. (2008). Initial validity and reliability of the SCCAN: Using tailored testing to assess adult cognition and communication. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 51, 49-69.
- D'Agostino, J.V., Welsh, M.E., & Corson, N.M. (2007). Instructional sensitivity of a state's standards-based assessment. Educational Assessment, 12, 1-22.
- D'Agostino, J.V., & Murphy, J.A. (2004). A meta-analysis of Reading Recovery in United States schools. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 26, 23-38.
- Welsh, M.E., & D'Agostino, J.V. (in press). Effective standards-based progress report grading. In T.R. Guskey (Ed.), Practical solutions for serious problems in standards-based grading. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- D'Agostino, J.V. (2005). Measuring learning outcomes: Reliability and validity issues. In G.D. Phye, J.R. Levin, and D.H. Robinson (Eds.), Empirical methods for evaluating educational interventions (pp. 113-145). San Diego, CA: Elsevier Academic Press.
- D'Agostino, J.V., & Stoker, G.L. (2002). Teachers' perceptions of Title I Program Improvement and accountability. In M. Wang & K. Wong (Eds.), Efficiency, accountability, and equity issues in Title I schoolwide program implementation (pp 243-257).
- D’Agostino, J. V. (2000). Achievement testing in American schools: Where are we after 150 years? In T.L. Good (Ed.), 99th Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education (pp. 313-337). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Rodgers, E.M., D’Agostino, J. V., & Kelly, R. (December, 2015). Investigating the impact of text difficulty on beginning reading progress. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Literacy Research Association. Carlsbad, CA.
- D’Agostino, J.V. (June, 2015). The i3 Reading Recovery scale up project. In B. Lekander (Chair), What have we learned about scaling projects with proven evidence? Invited panel discussion at the i3 Director’s meeting, Washington, DC.
- D’Agostino, J.V., & May, H. (April, 2014). Reading Recovery treatment effect variation. In M. Berends (Chair), Scaling-up effective reforms: Findings from the i3 scale-up grants. Invited presidential symposium conducted at the meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- D’Agostino, J.V., & Rodgers, E.M. (April, 2014). Using multiple-cohort data to construct a nationally representative literacy profile of early readers. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- D'Agostino, J.V., Cimetta, A.D., & Schwartz, K. (April, 2007). Differential treatment evaluation of Project WET. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
- D'Agostino, J.V., & Welsh. M.E. (April, 2007). Standards-based progress reports and standards-based assessment score convergence. In T.R. Guskey (Chair), The challenges of standards-based grading and reporting. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- D'Agostino, J.V., & Powers, S. (April, 2006) Predicting teaching competence with teacher test scores: A meta-analysis. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Welsh, M.E., & D'Agostino, J.V. (April, 2006). Examining instructional validity: An interview-based approach. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association Conference, San Francisco, CA.