Jessica Logan is an assistant professor of Quantitative Research, Evaluation and Measurement in the College of Education and Human Ecology. She is a quantitative methodologist with a multidisciplinary research agenda that informs the fields of research methodology and developmental science. She is also focused on improving the data management and data quality practices of researchers in the education sciences, encouraging transparency in science, and improving education researchers’ statistical conclusion validity. She is an advocate of team science, and find that both the educational field and methodological fields are advanced through open collaboration.
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, Florida State University (2009)
- MS, Research Psychology, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (2005)
- BUS, Middle Tennessee State University (2002)
- Child Development
- Development of cognitive processes related to academics, including language, literacy, and math (my primary focus is in children age 3 to grade 3)
- Statistical modeling of child development
- Cognitive Development
- Development of cognitive components of language, math, and reading skills over time
- Cognitive Psychology
- Early Childhood Education and Teaching
- Educational Assessment, Testing, and Measurement
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Statistics and Research Methods
- Hierarchical and latent growth modeling
- Latent class analysis
- Latent variable modelin
- Logistic regressio
- Multilevel SEM
- Quantile regression
- Research design
- Kindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching
- Cognitive basis of reading: word identification, decoding, reading comprehension
- Component skills of reading, including language and phonological processing (specifically Rapid Automatic Naming)
- Teacher and parent influences on reading skills
- Special Education
- 2020-2023 Principal Investigator (OSU Site; with PI: Purpura), Reading and Playing With Math: Promoting Preschoolers' Math Language Through Picture Books and Play Activities. Institute of Education Sciences (R305A200389).
- 2020-2022 Co-Investigator (PI: Yoon), Early Childhood Maltreatment and Profiles of Resilience. National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development. (R03HD100603)
- 2019-2024 Principal Investigator (OSU Site, with PI: Zucker), Developing Talkers: Building Effective Teachers of Academic Language Skills. Institute of Education Sciences. (R305A190065)
- 2019-2023 Co-Investigator (PI: Piasta), Language gains during early childhood: prediction of later outcomes and multiple-methods exploration of relevant classroom factors. Institute of Education Sciences (R305A190029)
- 2016-2022 Co-Investigator (PI: Piasta) Efficacy of the Brightstart! Program for promoting the emergent literacy skills of prekindergarten children at risk for reading difficulties (2016-2021, Institute for Education Sciences, R305A160261).
Preprints are articles that have been submitted to journals and are still under the review process.
- Woods, A. D., Davis-Kean, P., Halvorson, M., King, K. M., Logan, J. A., Xu, M., … & Vasilev, M. (2021). Missing Data and Multiple Imputation Decision Tree. PsyArXiv. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/mdw5r
- Logan, J.A.R. (2020). Missing School-Based Data due to COVID-19: Some Guidelines. https://edarxiv.org/24bsu/
- Kievit, R., Logan, J. A., & Hart, S. A. (2021). From the trajectory of heritability to the heritability of trajectories. PsyArXiv. September, 17.
Selected Recent Publications
aPostdoc or Research Scientist
- Logan, J. A., Jiang, H., Helsabeck, N., & Yeomans-Maldonado, G. (2021). Should I allow my confirmatory factors to correlate during factor score extraction? Implications for the applied researcher. Quality & Quantity, 1-25.
- Logan, J. A., Hart, S. A., & Schatschneider, C. (2021). Data sharing in education science. AERA open, 7, 23328584211006475. https://edarxiv.org/24bsu/
- *Xu, M., & Logan, J. A. (2021). Treatment Effects in Longitudinal Two-Method Measurement Planned Missingness Designs: An Application and Tutorial. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 1-22. (https://osf.io/zk4n9/)
- Shero, J. A., Logan, J. A., Petrill, S. A., Willcutt, E., & Hart, S. A. (2021). The Differential Relations Between ADHD and Reading Comprehension: A Quantile Regression and Quantile Genetic Approach. Behavior Genetics, 1-23.
- Piasta, S. B., Logan, J. A., Farley, K. S., Strang, T. M., & Justice, L. M. (2021). Profiles and Predictors of Children’s Growth in Alphabet Knowledge. Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk (JESPAR), 1-26.
- aHelsabeck, N., Logan, J. A. R., Justice, L. M., Purtell, K. M., & Lin, T. (2021) Pathways to Kindergarten: A latent class analysis of children’s time in early education and Care. Early Education and Development.
- Piasta, S. B., Logan, J. A., Thomas, L. J., Zettler-Greeley, C. M., Bailet, L. L., & Lewis, K. (2021). Implementation of a small-group emergent literacy intervention by preschool teachers and community aides. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 54, 31-43.
- aLitkowski, E. C., Duncan, R. J., Logan, J. A., & Purpura, D. J. (2020). Alignment Between Children’s Numeracy Performance, the Kindergarten Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and State-Level Early Learning Standards. AERA Open, 6(4), 2332858420968546.
- aDore, R. A., Logan, J., Lin, T. J., Purtell, K. M., & Justice, L. (2020). Characteristics of children’s media use and gains in language and literacy skills. Frontiers in Psychology, 11.
- aLittle, C. W., Larsen, S., Byrne, B., Logan, J. A., Olson, R. K., & Coventry, W. L. (2020). Exploring the Influence of Early Childhood Education and Care on the Etiology of Achievement. Behavior Genetics, 1-14.
- aLitkowski, E. C., Duncan, R. J., Logan, J. A., & Purpura, D. J. (2020). When do preschoolers learn specific mathematics skills? Mapping the development of early numeracy knowledge. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 195, 104846.
- aDore, R. A., Logan, J., Lin, T. J., Purtell, K. M., & Justice, L. (2020). Associations between Children’s Media Use and Language and Literacy Skills. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 1734.
- Logan, J. A., Justice, L. M., aYumuÅŸ, M., & *Chaparro-Moreno, L. J. (2019). When Children Are Not Read to at Home: The Million Word Gap. Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics, 40 (5), 383-386.
- *Chaparro-Moreno, L. J., Justice, L. M., Logan, J. A., Purtell, K. M., & Lin, T. J. (2019). The preschool classroom linguistic environment: Children’s first-person experiences. PloS one, 14(8), e0220227.
- LARRC, aJiang, H., & Logan, J. (2019). Improving reading comprehension in the primary grades: Mediated effects of a language-focused classroom intervention. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Logan, J. A., aDynia, J. M., Justice, L. M., & Sawyer, B. (2019). Caregiver Implementation of a Home-Based Reading Program With Their Children With Disabilities: Patterns of Adherence. Learning Disability Quarterly, 42(3), 135-146.
- Dale, P. S., Logan, J., Bleses, D., Højen, A., & Justice, L. (2018). Individual differences in response to a large-scale language and pre-literacy intervention for preschoolers in Denmark. Learning and Individual Differences, 68, 51-60.
- aXu, M, and Logan, J. A. R. (2021, September) Treatment Effects in Longitudinal Two-Method Planned Missingness Designs: An Application and Tutorial. Talk presented at the Society for Research in Educational Effectiveness Annual Meeting.
- Logan, J. A. R. (2021, September) Classroom Assessment Scoring System: Separating the Signal from the Noise. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Educational Effectiveness Annual Meeting.
- *Helsabeck, N, and Logan, J. A. R. (2021, September) Incorporating Data Management into Statistics Courses. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Educational Effectiveness Annual Meeting.
- *Logan, J. A. R. (2021, July) Incorporating Anti-Racist Work into Statistics Courses. Talk presented at the Annual US Conference for Teaching of Statistics.
- *Ceviren, B, and Logan, J. A. R. (2021, July) Incorporating Data Management into Statistics Courses. Talk presented at the Annual US Conference for Teaching of Statistics.
- Logan, J. A. R. (2021, July). Data Sharing and Data Shared. Talk presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, Virtual. https://figshare.com/articles/presentation/Data_Sharing_and_Data_Shared/15040740
- Logan, J. A. R. (June, 2021). Incorporating anti-racist work into statistics courses. Invited presentation for the annual meeting at the Behavior Genetics Association.
- Logan, J. A. R. (February, 2021). Two-Method Measurement Planned Missing Data Designs in Educational Research. Presented at the UCLA Quantitative Psychology Brownbag series.
Other Creative Works
Uanhoro, J. O. & Logan, J. A. R. (2017). Mplus LCA helper: Automating latent class analysis in Mplus. Available online at: https://mplus-output-scraper.herokuapp.com/.
- Logan, J. A. R., Hart, S. A. (Hosts and Producers). (2020-present). Within and Between: A podcast about the methods and metascience behind developmental science. [Audio podcasts]. www.WithinandBetween.com