Contact information for regional faculty members is located on the main College Directory.
Ana-Paula Correia is an associate professor of learning technologies in the Department of Educational Studies. She leads the Learning and Experience Design Research Group, a group dedicated to investigating learning design processes and pedagogies to create deep learning at The Ohio State University.
Dr. Correia is the Director of the Center on Education and Training for Employment. The Center bridges research and practical solutions to impact communities, education, and workforce development.
Dr. Correia is the Faculty Co-Coordinator of the Masters of Learning Technologies. Launched in August 2016, this program is ranked 20th in the U.S. News and World Report rankings for 2021.
Dr. Correia has more than 25 years of experience in learning design and instructional systems technology. Specifically, Correia’s expertise lies in distance education, online and mobile learning, collaborative learning, and entrepreneurial education. Her work has been published in top-tier academic journals, such as Educational Technology Research & Development, Teachers College Record, British Journal of Educational Technology, Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Computers in Human Behavior, and Distance Education. To date, she published over 90 journal articles and book chapters in three different languages: English, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Dr. Correia’s research was awarded for excellence several times by the Association for Educational Communication and Technology as well as the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education. She has delivered innumerable presentations at local, national, and international conferences.
Dr. Correia has been involved with research projects funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Pappajohn Center/Kauffman Foundation, National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Education, and the National Institutes of Health. She currently serves as the Chair for American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group in Online Teaching and Learning.
For more information: https://www.ana-paulacorreia.com/
- PhD, Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2005
- MSc, Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2001
- MSc, Educational Technology, University of Minho, Portugal, 1996
- BS, Teaching Biology and Geology, University of Minho, Portugal, 1989
Toxicology mentoring and diversity inclusion training program
This project has been recently funded by the National Institutes of Health, Innovative Programs to Enhance Research Training. It aims to offer a mentoring program to underrepresented college students and recruit them into the toxicology profession. Another specific aim of this project is to develop and deliver openly available online training modules that address toxicology core competencies. Toxicology is the science of characterizing the effects of poisons or toxicants on living organisms. It is an established profession in North America, however, the number of underrepresented groups in toxicology remains disappointingly low. The Toxicology Mentoring and Diversity Inclusion Training Program is addressing this problem. This is a multi-institutional project led by University of California - Davis and involving Iowa State University, The Ohio State University, Tuskegee University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and Michigan State University.
- 09/2020 – 06/2025. PI. ToxMSDT: An Innovative Toxicology Pathway mentoring program targeting underrepresented STEM students. National Institutes of Health, Innovative Programs to Enhance Research Training. ($302,184) (Lead Institution, University of California - Davis)
- 06/2018. PI. Entrepreneurship in Educational Technology: The design of a Mobile Application that Bridges the Learning of Portuguese Culture with the Prevalence of Heritage Tourism. The Ohio State University’s Office of International Affairs Academic Enrichment Grant. ($4,176)
- 07/2017 – 06/2019. PI. Toxicology Mentoring and Diversity Inclusion Training Program. National Institutes of Health, Innovative Programs to Enhance Research Training. ($36,066) (Lead Institution, Iowa State University)
- 07/2016 – 06/2017. PI. Toxicology Mentoring and Diversity Inclusion Training Program. National Institutes of Health, Innovative Programs to Enhance Research Training. ($13,838) (Lead Institution, Iowa State University)
- 01/2014-12/2016. Co-PI. Plant Breeding E-Learning in Africa. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation ($1,643,817) (PI: Walter Suza, Iowa State University).· 09/2014-08/2015. PI. CAP- Building a Cyberlearning Research Program: An Early Career Symposium. National Science Foundation, Cyberlearning and Future Learning Technologies. ($21,830)
- 09/2012-08/2015. Co-PI. Shielding cucurbit crops for more resilient agroecosystems. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Specialty Crop Research Initiative ($1,582,002) (PI: Mark Gleason, Iowa State University)
- Correia, A.-P. (2021). Community of Inquiry in a Collectivist/Feminine Society: An Examination. In J. Michael Spector, Barbara B. Lockee, & Marcus D. Childress (Eds.), Learning, Design, and Technology: An International Compendium of Theory, Research, Practice and Policy (pp. 1-22). Springer.
- Romero-Hall, E., Correia, A.-P., Branch, R., Cevik, Y. D., Dickson-Deane, C., Chen, B., Liu, C., Tang, H., Vasconcelos, L., Pallitt, N., & Thankachan, B. (2020). Futurama: Learning, Design and Technology Research Methods. In E. Romero-Hall (Ed.), Research Methods in Learning Design and Technology (pp. 206–226). Routledge. https://tinyurl.com/y3ae8kju
- Correia, A.-P., Liu*, C., & Xu*, F. (2020). Evaluating videoconferencing systems for the quality of the educational experience. Distance Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/01587919.2020.1821607
- Correia, A.-P. (2020). Finding Junctures in Learning Design and Entrepreneurship: A Case of Experiential Learning in Online Education. In M. J. Bishop, E. Boling, J. Elen & V. Svihla (Eds.), Handbook of Research in Educational Communications and Technology (5th edition) (pp. 689–712. Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-36119-8_32
- Correia, A.-P. (2020). Healing the digital divide during the COVID-19 pandemic. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 21(1), 13–21.
- Gonçalves, S., Dias, P. & Correia, A.-P.(2020). Nomophobia and lifestyle: Smartphone use and its relationship to psychopathologies. Computers in Human Behavior Reports, 2(August-December 2020).https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chbr.2020.100025
- Chatterjee*, R. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). Online students’ attitudes towards collaborative learning and sense of community. American Journal of Distance Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/08923647.2020.1703479
- Best Journal Article (Quantitative) Award, Association of Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Division of Distance Learning.
- Correia, A.-P. (2019). Dealing with conflict in learning teams immersed in technology-rich environments: A mixed-methods study. Education and Information Technologies. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-019-10038-w
- Korkmaz*, C., & Correia, A.-P. (2019). A review of research on machine learning in educational technology. Educational Media International. https://doi.org/10.1080/09523987.2019.1669875
- Correia, A.-P., North*, C. A., Korkmaz*, C., Simmerman*, V. E. & Bruce Wallace*, K. A. (2019). Authentic Online Discussions: A Narrative Inquiry into Sharing Leadership and Facilitation Among Teachers and Students. International Journal on E-Learning (IJEL), 18(2), 165-189.
- Koehler, N., Correia, A.-P., Alpay, N. & LeVally, C. (2018). Determining the Cognitive Value of Online Interactive Multimedia in Statistics Education. In P. Escudeiro, G. Costagliola, S. Zvacek, J. Uhomoibhi, & B. M. McLaren (Eds.), Computers Supported Education (pp. 138-153). Singapore: Springer Nature. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-94640-5_7
- Correia, A.-P. (2018) (Ed.). Driving Educational Change: Innovations in Action. E-book, available at https://ohiostate.pressbooks.pub/drivechange/
- Heideimann, S. P., Moreno, E., Correia, A.-P. (2018). Using technology to support chemistry teaching and learning in the context of Brazilian distance education. World Journal of Chemical Education, 6(5), 223-229. http://10.12691/wjce-6-5-4
- Correia, A.-P., Koehler, N., Thompson, A. & Phye, G. (2018). The application of PhET simulation to teach gas behavior on the submicroscopic level: Secondary school students’ perceptions. Research in Science & Technological Education, 37(2), 193-217. http://10.1080/02635143.2018.1487834Yusop, F. D. & Correia, A.-P. (2017). Teaching Online Simplified: A Quick Guide for Instructors. Kuala Lumpur: University of Malaya Press, 110 p. ISBN: 978-983-100-948-2.
- Correia, A.-P. (2017). Como criar e manter interações de qualidade em cursos online? – O potencial da moderação por pares e curadoria [How to create and sustain high quality interactions in online courses? - The potential of peers’ moderation and digital curation]. EaD em Foco: Revista Científica em Educação a Distância, 7(1) (in Portuguese)
- Correia, A.-P. (2017). Are social media alternatives to learning management systems when teaching online? In W.K.W. Ma et al. (eds.), In Ma W., Chan CK., Tong K., Fung H., Fong C. (eds), New Ecology for Education — Communication X Learning. Singapore: Springer https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-10-4346-8_2
- Baran*, E., & Correia, A.-P. (2017). What Motivates Exemplary Online Teachers? A Multiple Case Study. In Michael Spector, Barbara B. Lockee and Marcus D. Childress (eds.), Learning, Design, and Technology: An International Compendium of Theory, Research, Practice, Policy (pp. 1-17). Switzerland: Springer International. https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-3-319-17727-4_33-2
- Oberfoell*, A. & Correia, A.-P. (2016). Understanding the role of the modality principle in multimedia learning environments. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 32(6), 607–617. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12157
- Bragazzi, N.L., Del Puente, G., Adavastro, G., Pompei, V., Siri, A., Rania, N., Correia, A.-P. & Yildirim*, C. (2016). Translation and validation of the Nomophobia Questionnaire (NMP-Q) in Italian language: Insights from factor analysis. European Psychiatry, 33, S390. http://10.1016/j.eurpsy.2016.01.1110
- Yildirim*, C. & Correia, A.-P (2015). Exploring the Dimensions of Nomophobia: Development and Validation of a Self-Reported Questionnaire. Computers in Human Behavior, 49 (August 2015), 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.02.059
- Martins*, V., Santos, E. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). Google My Maps as a Conduit to Culturally Rich Learning Experiences. Presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2020 Virtual Conference, November 2-7, 2020.
- Liu*, C. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). Learners’ Reviews in Mobile Learning Applications: A Study on Learners’ Online Engagement. Presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2020 Virtual Conference, November 2-7, 2020.
- Xu*, F. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). A Systematic Review on Using Scratch to Cultivate K-12 Students’ Computational Thinking: From a Learning Design Perspective. Presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2020 Virtual Conference, November 2-7, 2020.
- Ross, M., Correia, A.-P., Julian, D. A., Walker, K. & Baker, E. (2020, Apr 17 - 21) Translational Research: A Mechanism for Promoting Researcher and Stakeholder Collaboration and the Public Good [Roundtable Session]. AERA Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA (Conference Canceled).
- Liu*, C. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). Engagement in Mobile Learning Applications. Poster presented at 2020 Ohio State’s College of Education and Human Ecology Research Forum, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, February 13, 2020.
- Xu*, F. & Correia, A.-P. (2020). A Systematic Review of Empirical Studies on Computational Thinking: From a Learning Design Perspective. Poster presented at 2020 Ohio State’s College of Education and Human Ecology Research Forum, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, February 13, 2020.
- Leach, A., North*, C., Correia, A.-P., Shroyer, T. (2019). Are Instructional Design Graduates Ready for the Real World? Panel presented at Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2019 Convention, Las Vegas, NV, October 21-25, 2019.
- Dias, P., Goncalves, S., & Correia, A.-P. (2019). An examination of nomophobia among Portuguese college students. Paper presented at the 6th International Conference on Behavioral Addictions (ICBA), Yokohama, Japan, June 17-19, 2019.
- Correia, A.-P., North*, C. A., Korkmaz*, C., Clarke, E., Bruce Wallace*, K., McCord, R., & Voithofer, R. (2019). Digital Engagement: Learn What Students Want from Your Online Class. Panel delivered at InnovateX 2019, The Ohio State University, Ohio Union, Columbus, OH, May 16, 2019.
- Correia, A.-P., & Good*, K. (2019). Investigating Students’ Perceptions of Educational Technology Use in College Teaching. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association 2019 Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, April 5-9, 2019.
- Correia, A.-P. (2019). Examining Online Learning Experiences in Collectivist Cultures through the Community of Inquiry Framework. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association 2019 Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, April 5-9, 2019.
- Leach, A., North*, C., Gintert, N., Correia, A.-P., & Archambault, L. (2018). Portrait of a Modern Online Graduate Student in Educational Technology. Panel presented at Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2018 Convention, Kansas City, MO, October 23-27, 2018.
- Romero-Hall, E., Correia, A.-P., Dennen, V. & Budhrani, K. (2018). Instructional Design Research Women’s Caucus. Session presented at Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2018 Convention, Kansas City, MO, October 23-27, 2018.
- Correia, A.-P., North*, C. A., Korkmaz*, C., Simmerman*, V. E. & Bruce Wallace*, K. A. (2018). No prior experience necessary: Reflecting on the learning experiences offered by student-created online discussions. Paper presented at 2018 EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology, Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 25-29, 2018.
- Correia, A.-P., Bruce Wallace*, K., Korkmaz*, C., North*, C. A. & Simmerman*, V. E. (2018). Shifting the Balance: Engaging Students as Collaborators in Online Course Redesign. Paper presented at Innovate Forward 2018, The Ohio State University, Ohio Union, Columbus, OH, May 11, 2018.
- Koehler, N., Correia, A.-P., Alpay, N. & Gardner, J. (2018). Designing and Evaluating Web-Based Interactive Multimedia to Facilitate Cognitive Presence in an Online Statistics Course. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association 2018 Annual Meeting, New York, April 13- 17, 2018.
*Denotes work/writing developed while a graduate student under Correia’s advising.