Section Items

Eligibility to Maintain GA Position

Graduate associate (GA) funded appointments are based on eligibility, budget, need, and performance. Eligible graduate students are able to earn a maximum of four years of funding through GA experiences funded by the College of Education and Human Ecology, which are reviewed annually. Extensions of a fifth year are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. GA positions funded by a grant or through programs outside of the College of Education and Human Ecology are subject to the funding limitations set by the grant or program.

Hiring preference is given to doctoral students in Teaching and Learning and Educational Studies departments over those who are master’s students. 

In order to hold a GA position in the College of Education and Human Ecology, graduate students must meet the following criteria:

  • Be pursuing a graduate degree at The Ohio State University
  • Submit a complete GA application for consideration of a position (must be renewed every year)
  • Meet the minimum Graduate School registration requirements
  • Be in good standing in the Graduate School (including a minimum 3.0 CPHR) when the appointment or reappointment becomes effective
  • Maintain reasonable progress towards a graduate degree. Please check program website or handbook for specific requirements.
  • GA appointments supported by projects or grants are determined by the PI and project budget.
  • International and permanent resident non-English speaking graduate students must certify proficiency in spoken English before assuming GTA duties involving direct student contact. Students applying for GTA positions may become certified in order to be hired through the following:
    • TOEFL iBT Speaking 28 or higher
    • IELTS Speaking 8.5 or higher
    • Oral Proficiency Assessment (OPA) score of either a C4 or higher
      Scores must be received and posted prior to acceptance of an appointment.

Complete requirements are available in the Graduate School Handbook. Additional guidelines for GA’s funded by the College of Education and Human Ecology can be found in the EHE GA Guidelines.

Note: Teaching and Learning and Educational Studies departments have GTA positions in which students can serve as supervisors. Licensure, certification, and/or teaching experience may be required for these positions. Please refer to the position descriptions on the application to determine eligibility for specific position.