Anti-Racism in Education
This certificate program engages students in a focused study of the historical context, theories, values, and aims of anti-racism work within educational contexts. This course of study equips students with state of the art resources necessary to carefully evaluate and/or endorse anti-racist educational efforts. This certificate can be pursued either concurrently with a graduate degree or as a stand-alone option for non-degree seeking students!
Examine and interrogate issues of racial identity, power, and privilege in educational spaces.
Explore how educational leaders/practitioners/policymakers can work to dismantle oppressive practices and center equity in K-16 education
Learn to better advocate for anti-racist practice in matters of teaching, learning, and broader education contexts.
Engage anti-racist theory and research in support of high-quality, research-informed solutions to educational equity dilemmas
- ESPHE 5440 - Philosophical Perspectives on Race, Education, and Citizenship (3 credits)
- EDUCST/ESSPED 5777 - Anti-racist, Culturally Responsive Education: Theories, Models, and Strategies (3 credits)
Elective Courses (choose 2)
- ESCE 7741 - Multicultural Counseling (4 credits)
- ESHESA 7750 - Facilitating Intergroup Dialogues in Higher Education (3 credits)
- ESHESA 7850 - Critical Race Theory in Higher Education (3 credits)
- ESHESA 8850 - Intersectionality in Higher Education (3 credits)
- ESEPSY 8408 - Race, Ethnicity, and Multiculturalism in Education and Psychology (3 credits)
- ESEPSY 7401 - Controversies, Myths, and Dilemmas in Education (3 credits)
- ESSPSY 7028 - Cultural Diversity: Developing a Multicultural Awareness (3 credits)
- ESPHE 8410 - Ethics and Education: Equality, Freedom, and Justice in Schools (3 credits)
- ESCFE 8209 - Cultural Efficacy in Education (3 credits)
- EDUTL 8020 - Critical Race Theory in Education (3 credits)
- EDUTL 8891 - Exploring Whiteness (3 credits)
Application Open: August 1st, 2022
Deadline: November 1st, 2022
Application Open: February 1st, 2023
Deadline: July 1st, 2023