Contact information for regional faculty members is located on the main College Directory.
Professor, Department of Human Sciences
Program Area: Human Nutrition
- Purdue University, B.S., Biochemistry, 1975
- Texas A&M University, Ph.D., Biochemistry, 1982
Diverse interests include nutritional biochemistry, clinical nutrition, sports nutrition and nutritional pharmacology. Studies evaluate both wet lab measurements and big picture practical measures such as body weight and composition, exercise performance, and pathology progression. A current emphasis is also placed on commercialization of research findings.
- Johnson M, Hassinger L, Davis J, DiSilvestro RA (2016) Effects of spirulina supplementation on indices of mental and physical fatigue in men. Int J Food Sci Nutr 67:203-206.
- Zhao S, Bomser J, Joseph E, DiSilvestro RA (2013) Consumption of apples or apple polyphenols lowers oxidized LDL readings in healthy adults. J Func Foods 5:493-497.
- DiSilvestro RA, Joseph E, Raimo A, Kim YM (2012) Copper supplementation effects on blood copper enzymes and plasma cardiovascular health markers in middle aged people. Metabolism 61:1242-1246.
- Besecker B, Exline M, Hollyfield J, Phillips G, DiSilvestro RA, Wewers MD, Knoell DL (2011) A comparison of zinc metabolism, inflammation, and disease severity in critically ill infected and non-infected adults early after ICU admission. Am J Clin Nutr 93:1356-1364.
- DiSilvestro RA, Verbruggen MA, Offut EJ (2011) Anti-heartburn effects of a fenugreek fiber product. Phytotherapy Res 25:88-91.
- Calarge CA, Farmer C, DiSilvestro R, Arnold LE (2010) Serum Ferritin and Amphetamine Response in Youth with ADHD. J Child Adol Psychop 20:495-502.
- Wagner G, Shirley Kindrick S, Hertzler S, DiSilvestro RA (2007) Effects of various forms of calcium on body weight and bone turnover markers in women participating in a weight loss program. J Am Coll Nutr 26:456-461.
- DiSilvestro RA, Goodman J, Dy E, Joseph E (2005) Soy extract increases erythrocyte superoxide dismutase activities in breast cancer survivors. Br Cancer Treat Res 89:251-255.