Brian A. Turner is a professor and coordinator of the graduate Sport Management in the College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University. He earned his bachelor of science degree in secondary education from Baylor University and his masters of education degree in physical education from Tarleton State University. He received his PhD in sport management from Ohio State in 2001.
Prior to his current position, Dr. Turner served three years as the Director of Sport Management at DeSales University and one year as a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma.
He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed articles and made more than 100 presentations at national and international conferences. Additionally, Dr. Turner has co-edited two editions of the textbook Marketing for Sport Business Success. He is past co-editor for the Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics and currently serves on five editorial review boards.
In 2007, Dr. Turner was named a North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) Research Fellow and was awarded the organization’s Distinguished Sport Management Educator Award in 2017. He was awarded the College of Education and Human Ecology’s Distinguished Teaching Award the same year. Currently, he serves on the Athletic Council at Ohio State.
- PhD, Sport Management, The Ohio State University, 2001
- MEd, Physical Education, Tarleton State University, 1997
- BS, Secondary Education, Baylor University, 1988
Turner's research areas lie in the general area of Organizational Behavior. Currently, his primary interest is commitment among intercollegiate athletic coaches. He also focusing on the following: 1) research methods in sport management; 2) commitment of student-athletes; and 3) employee behavior in sport organizations.
- Armstrong, K. L., Turner, B., & Miloch, K. S. (2021). Sport Marketing. In P. M. Pedersen & L. Thibault (Eds.), Contemporary Sport Management (7th ed., pp. 313-335). Human Kinetics Publishing.
- Turner, B. A., Jensen, J. A., & Parkhouse, B. L. (2017). Sport marketing: Definition, evolution, uniqueness, and importance. In B. A. Turner & K. Miloch (Eds.), Marketing for sport business success (2nd ed., pp. 1-37). Kendall-Hunt Publishing.
- Turner, B. A., Miloch, K., & Parkhouse, B. L. (2017). Future of sport marketing. In B. A. Turner & K. Miloch (Eds.), Marketing for sport business success (2nd ed., pp. 337-356). Kendall-Hunt Publishing.
Peer-Reviewed Research Articles
- Walton, D., & Turner, B. A. (2021). Scarcity effects on sport consumer behavior. International Journal of Sport Management, 22, 1-20.
- Ryder, A., Hsaio, R., Lower-Hoppe, L., Turner, B. A., Storti, K. L., Paternostro-Bayles, M., & McKee, K. (2021). Specialization versus diversification: Impact of female youth sport experiences. Journal of Sport Behavior, 44, 120-140.
- Beattie, M. A., & Turner, B. A. (2020). The impact of person-environment fit on the academic satisfaction of Division II student-athletes. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 13, 445-465.
- Lower-Hoppe, L. M., Anderson-Butcher, D., Lo, M., & Turner, B. A. (2020). The influence of organizational climate and process on youth outcomes: A case study of a community youth sport organization. Leisure/Loisir, 44, 489-520.
- Lott, G., & Turner, B. A. (2018). Collegiate sport participation and student-athlete development through the lens of emotional intelligence. Journal of Amateur Sport, 4, 1-28.
- Jensen, J. A., & Turner, B. (2018). Event history analysis of longitudinal data: A methodological application to sport sponsorship. Sport in Society, 21, 376-393.
- Jensen, J. A., & Turner, B. (2017). Advances in sport sponsorship revenue forecasting: An event history analysis approach. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 26, 6-19.
- Jensen, J. A., Cobbs, J. B., & Turner, B. A. (2016). Evaluating sponsorship through the lens of the resource-based view: The potential for sustainable competitive advantage. Business Horizons, 59, 163-173.
- Jensen, J. A., Turner, B. A., Delia, E., James, J., Greenwell, C., McEvoy, C., Ross, S., Seifried, C., & Walsh, P. (2016). 40 years of BIRGing: New perspectives on Cialdini’s seminal studies. Journal of Sport Management, 30, 149-161.
- Jensen, J. A., Wakefield, L., Cobbs, J. B., & Turner, B. A. (2016). Forecasting sponsorship costs: Marketing intelligence in the athletic apparel industry. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 34, 281-298.
- Lower, L. M., & Turner, B. A. (2016). Examination of the 3x2 achievement goal model in collegiate recreation: Comparison across sport programs. Journal of Amateur Sport, 2(2), 75-102.
- Park, M., Turner, B. A., Pastore, D. L., Chitiyo, M., & Yoh, T. (2016). The information processing of audiences exposed to public service advertising messages for the Special Olympics: A cognitive response approach. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, 17, 277-298.
- Barnhill, C. R., & Turner, B. A. (2015). The impact of psychological contract breach on student-athlete satisfaction, perceived in-role performance, and organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 7(4), 37-53.
- Czekanski, W. A., & Turner, B. A. (2015). Just exchange in intercollegiate athletics. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 8, 139-161.
- Jensen, J. A., Turner, B. A., & McEvoy, C. (2015). Resource valuation of non-profit organizations: The case of the intercollegiate athletics industry. International Review of Public and Nonprofit Marketing, 12, 169-187.
- Jensen, J. A., Walsh, P., Cobbs, J. B., & Turner, B. A. (2015). The effects of second screen use on sponsor brand awareness: A dual coding theory perspective. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 32, 71-84.
- Jordan, J. S., Kerwin, S., & Turner, B. A. (2015). Organizational justice and conflict: Do perceptions of fairness influence disagreement. Sport Management Review, 18, 384-395.
- Lyons, V., & Turner, B. A. (2015). Examining the influence of gender on athletes’ levels of moral reasoning: A comparison of intercollegiate athletes and students. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 8, 28-49.
- Lower, L. M., Turner, B. A., & Petersen, J. C. (2015). Does greater opportunity for recreational sport involvement translate to greater degree of involvement? International Journal of Sport Management, 16, 62-76.