Ouliana Ziouzenkova is an associate professor of human nutrition in the Department of Human Sciences. Her research agenda focuses on nutrigenomic studies of vitamin A metabolism and their implementation for prevention and treatment of obesity, diabetes, and diabetes related neurological complications.
- PhD, University of Graz, Austria, 1997
- MS, Degree legalization, Graz, Austria, 1993
- BS/MS, The State University "Schewtchenko", Kiev, Ukraine, 1986
- Adult Development and Aging
- Dietetics and Nutrition
- Endocrine responses of nutrient-derived hormones
- Gene/Genetic Therapy
- Development of gene/cell therapies for treatment of obesity and diabetes
- Human Nutrition
- Nutritional Science
- Translation of bioactive nutrients for treatment and prevention of obesity and diabetes
- Fundamental pathways regulating metabolic responses and examines their relevance for development of the metabolic syndrome.
- Vitamin A is a critical regulator of energy storage and expenditure and is thought to prevent metabolic diseases
- Recent studies of dietary supplementation with vitamin A showed results associating this vitamin with metabolic complications and increase in mortality questioning its benefits.
- Metabolic function of vitamin A includes action of its two major metabolites retinaldehyde and retinoic acid.
- Distinct enzymes control their production: 1) alcohol dehydrogenases (Adh) oxidize vitamin A to generate retinaldehyde; and 2) retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (Raldh) oxidize retinaldehyde to retinoic acid.
- High-fat feeding induces retinoic acid synthesis, whereas genetic deficiency in retinaldehyde production is associated with obesity. Metabolic function of retinoic acid depends on transcriptional activation of distinct nuclear receptors implicated in fat formation.
- Recent studies highlighted retinaldehyde's functions in fat formation in two mouse models demonstrating Rald deficiency (Adh1-/-) and Rald accumulation (Raldh1-/-) in fat tissue.
- Indication of an impaired differentiation of Raldh1-/- fat cells and linked these responses to the transcriptional repression of two nuclear receptors: peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma) and retinoid X receptor (RXR).
- Receptors are critical determinants for the fat formation in vivo and in vitro.
- Further research directions:
- Mechanisms regulating retinaldehyde effects in obesity Vitamin A paradigm in the regulation of atherogenesis Vitamin A implication in the regulation of metabolic sex differences
- Identify targets in vitamin A metabolism for obesity, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes treatment
- 1997 – 1999: Research Associate, University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, LosAngeles, CA
- 1999 – 2003: Research Associate, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1999 – 2003: Research Fellow, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2003 – 2007: Instructor in Medicine, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2007 – Present: Assistant Professor, Ohio State University
- 2014 – Present: Associate Professor, Ohio State University
Research centers on the identification of gene programs regulated by micronutrients. We translate these basic research findings and nanotechnology approach for development of therapies for treatment of obesity, diabetes, and type 2 diabetes and neurological complications of this disease.
- 1994 – Hermes-Vitamin-Award 1994 for Publication: Winklhofer-Roob, Ziouzenkova, Puhl, Ellenmunter, Greiner, Müller, Van't Hof, Esterbauer, Shmerling.
- Impaired resistance to oxidation of low density lipoproteins in cystic fibrosis: Improvement during vitamin E supplementation.
- 1998 – Oxygen Club of California, Lester Packer Young Investigator Award
- 1998 – "Cherry Award " (the top application), American Heart Association Fellowship
- 1998 – Young Investigator Award, IX Biennial Meeting, International Society for Free Radical Research
- 2002 – Young Investigator Award, XI Biennial Meeting, International Society for Free Radical Research
- 2002 – Louis and Norman Katz Basic Science Award Winner, “Enzymatically-Active Lipoprotein Lipase Generates Endogenous PPAR-alpha Ligands”, American Heart Association
- 2003 – Travel Award, Hot Topics in Endocrinology, American Society for Endocrinology, San Diego
- 2004 – Lerner Young Faculty Award at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
- 2007 – New Investigator Award, First Annual Meeting, Organization for the Study of Sex Differences, Washington DC
- 2009 – Nominated as Distinguished Undergraduate Student Mentor at Denman Forum, OSU
- 2010 – Nominated as Distinguished Undergraduate Student Mentor at Denman Forum, OSU
- 2012 – Presidential Award competition for a poster ‘Estrogen and Retinoid Interactions in the Regulation of Adipose Triglyceride Lipase at the 94th Annual Endocrinology Meeting, Houston, TX
- 2012 – Semi-Finalist for Outstanding Women in Technology Award, Tech Columbus, Columbus, Ohio
- 7/2011 - 7/2012. 3D scaffold platform for identification of polyfunctional nutriceuticals in the management of obesity in men and women
- The Ohio State University Food Innovation Center ($25,000)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Yang, S-T, Failla ML, Bomser, J , Lee K
- Goal: Develop a 3D platform that will address the influence of dietary compounds and their metabolites on multiple pathways in a sex-specific context
- 12/2011 - 12/1/2012. Encapsulated engineered cells for obesity treatment.
- The Ohio State University Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS) funded by National Institutes of Health UL1RR025755 (National Center for Research Resources) Industry Partnership Pilot ($50,000)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Sen, C, Lee JL
- Goal: Utilize implantation of encapsulated thermocytes to reduce visceral adiposity and associated with this tissue insulin resistance and chronic inflammation
- 9/2012 - 8/2013 The effect of microencapsulated thermocyte-like murine fibroblasts in canine adipose tissue
- Canine research funds from OSU ($25,112)
- PI: Chen Gilor; Co-PI Ziouzenkova, O
- Goal: To test efficacy of obesity treatment with encapsulated thermogenic cells in a dog
- 03/2013 – 2/2014. 3D reporter assays for studies of drug/nutrient interaction in cancer patients.
- Food Innovation Center. ($25,000)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Benson, DM Jr., Failla, ML, Johnson, J.
- Goal: Development of a semi-quantitative diagnostic tool for measurement of cumulative inflammatory and oxidative stress in plasma from patients as well as for the identification nutrients synergizing with pharmacological therapies
- 07/2013 – 06/2014. Prospective open pilot of low vs. higher dose vitamin D in D-deficient asthmatic children: Does diet predict immune function and asthma symptom response to vitamin D supplementation?
- Food Innovation Center. ($50,000)
- PI: Dr. B. L. Gracious; Co-I: Drs. Habash, DL, Lesinski, GB, Belury, MA, Hall ,M, Allen, E, Keim, SA, Ziouzenkova, O.
- Goal: To gather preliminary feasibility and mechanistic data to support a nutrition-focused clinical translational study, to determine whether and how supplemental vitamin D improves asthma and quality of life in a young vulnerable population
- 1/2005 - 12/2008. Endogenous PPAR and RXR Regulation Through Retinoic Acid Precursors
- American Heart Association. ($259,996)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Kirkland J (Boston University), Duester, J (Burnham Institute, CA)
- Goal: To assess whether metabolism of RA precursors generates both an agonist (RA) and an antagonist (Rald) determining RXR and PPAR transcriptional activity
- 10/1/2012 -9/31/2013 Independent Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Alogliptin
- Takeda Corporation. MSA-NC-AZI-117 ($164,985)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Rajagopalan, S
- Goal: Elucidate anti-Inflammatory Effects of Alogliptin
- 07/2013 - 6/2015 Identification of anti-inflammatory properties of eggs in adipose tissue
- Egg Nutrition Center (USDA). ($115,000)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Failla, M, Schwartz, S
- Goal: To provide evidence of anti-inflammatory and anti-obesogenic effects of micronutrient-rich egg yolk that can potentially lead to an egg-based product improving the health of 1.7 billion obese patients worldwide and the general population.
- 11/2013 – 10/2015 Identifying protein targets for the induction of thermogenesis in visceral fat
- Novo Nordisk Company. Diabetes Innovation Award ($380,000)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O
- Goal: To identify thermogenic factor(s) and its downstream targets in adipose tissues
- 08/2013 – 08/2015. Identification of anti-inflammatory properties of eggs in adipose tissue
- Egg Nutrition Center. ($115,000, Total Award )
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Failla, M, Schwartz, S
- Goal: To provide evidence of anti-inflammatory and anti-obesogenic effects of micronutrient-rich egg yolk that can potentially lead to an egg-based product improving the health of 1.7 billion obese patients worldwide and the general population
- 05/2014 – 06/2014. Vitamin A in the development of gammopathies and kidney damage in multiple myeloma
- OSU Molecular Carcinogenesis and Chemoprevention Program. ($5,000 )
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Benson, D
- 05/2014 – 02/2016. Developing models for identification of therapeutic cell populations
- National Institute of Health, National Center for Resources. ( $422,751, Total Award )
- Grant/Contact Number: R21OD017244
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Co-I: Tontonoz, P, Lee, JL, Lee, K, Rajagopalan, S, Alder, H, Roy, S
- Goal: Develop new animal models, in which subset of microencapsulated cells will be engrafted in existing animal models for identification of cell subset effects on the host tissue, systemic pathogenesis, and discovery of bioactive molecules with therapeutic properties
- 08/2016 -06/2017. Thermogenic biologicals for treatment of obesity and diabetes
- Technology and Commecialization Office, OSU. ( $50,000, Total Award )
- Grant/Contact Number: Accelerator Award
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O; Parquette,J
- Goal: To test if EREG delivered by injections or within nanofibers exceed insulin efficacy in the treatment of type 1 diabetes (T1D), prevent side effects of insulin-therapy, and prolong lifespan
- 04/2017 - 05/2017. Identification of markers for bipolar disorder in adolescent
- CCTS, OSU. ( $3,800, Total Award)
- PI: Ziouzenkova, O
- Goal: To perform proteomic comparison of proteins in adolescent with and without bipolar disorder
- 01/2017 – 12/2017. Development of nanoscaffold-delivery of insulin sensitizing proteins to target diabetes.
- EHE and College of Art and Science, OSU. ( $21,841, Total Award )
- Grant/Contact Number: SEED Grant
- PI: Ouliana Ziouzenkova, Jonathan Parquette, Randy Nelson
- Goal: Demonstrate that immobilization of insulin and epiregulin (EREG) on nanoscaffolds will improve their therapeutic efficacy for the treatment of glucose intolerance, obesity, and cognitive dysfunction in a genetic mouse model of type 2 diabetes (db/db mice) compared to conventional treatment with unbound forms of these proteins.
- 12/2017 – 1/2019. Method for Treatment of Diseases of Central Nervous System (CNS) and Improvement of Cognitive Function by Nanoscaffolds.
- Technology and Commercialization Office, OSU. ( $100,000, Total Award )
- PI: Ouliana Ziouzenkova Co-I: Dr. J. Parquette
- 7/2018 – 8/2019. Neuroprotective role of a novel antioxidant nanoscaffold in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Chronic Brain Injury | Discovery Themes, OSU. ( $25,000, Total Award )
- PI: Ouliana Ziouzenkova Co-I: Dr. J. Parquette, Dr. C. Gu, Dr. S.O. Yoon
- 1/2020– 6/2021. Antioxidant Nanoscaffold Technology for Combinatorial Treatment of Diabetes.
- Falk Medical Research Trust Catalyst Awards Program ( $300,000, Total Award )
- PI: Dr. J. Parquette Co-PI: Ouliana Ziouzenkova
- Goal: Develop and optimize this class of therapeutics with dual properties: (1) as a scaffold to bind and stabilize hormones, such as insulin, and (2) as a concomitant activator of LepR to improve glucose uptake, energy balance, and to reduce associated neurological complications
- 2020-2021 Decoding the role of thermogenic adipocytes in type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s dementia
- Kathleen Kelly Trust ( Gift ) , PI
- Goal: Elucidate efficacy of thermogenic adipocytes and their secreted proteins in the reduction of hyperglycemia and AD pathogenesis in model organisms.
1. Winklhofer-Roob BM, Ziouzenkova O, Puhl H, Ellenmunter H, Greiner P, Müller G, Van't Hof MA, Esterbauer H, Shmerling DH. Impaired resistance to oxidation of low density lipoproteins in cystic fibrosis. Improvement during vitamin E supplementation. Free Radic Biol Med. 19, 725-733. 1995.
(IF: 4.089) (Citation Count: 63)
2. Ziouzenkova O, Winklhofer-Roob BM, Puhl H, Roob JM, Esterbauer H. Lack of a correlation between the alpha-tocopherol content of plasma and LDL, but high correlations for gamma-tocopherol and carotenoids. J Lipid Res. 37, 1936-1346.1996.
(IF:3.620) (Citation Count: 66)
3. Meraji S, Ziouzenkova O, Resch U, Khoschsorur A, Tatzber F, Esterbauer H. Enhanced plasma level of lipid peroxidation in Iranian could be improved by antioxidants supplementation. Eur J Clin Nutr. 51(5), 318-325.1997.
(IF: 1.261) (Citation Count: 32)
4. Ziouzenkova O, Sevanian A, Abuja PM, Ramos P, Esterbauer H. Copper can promote oxidation of LDL by markedly different mechanisms. Free Radic Biol Med. 24, 607-623. 1998.
(IF: 4.348) (Citation Count: 123)
5. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan L, Sevanian A. Oxidative stress resulting from hemolysis and formation of catalytically active hemoglobin: Protective strategies. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 37, 125-132. 1999.
(IF: 0.871) (Citation Count: 21)
6. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan L, Akmal M, Tetta C, Wratten ML, Jurgens G, Loseto-Wich J, Heinecke JW, Sevanian A. Oxidative Cross-linking of ApoB and Hemoglobin results in Low Density Lipoprotein Modification: Relevance to Atherogenesis caused by Hemodialysis. J Biol Chem. 274, 18916-18924. 1999.
(IF: 7.666) (Citation Count: 128)
7. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan L, Wratten ML, Hwang J, Tetta C, Sevanian A. Oxidative stress during ex-vivo hemodialysis of blood is decreased by a novel hemolipodialysis procedure utilizing antioxidants. Free Radic Biol Med. 33, 248-258. 2002
(IF: 5.533) (Citation Count: 37)
8. Sethi S, Ziouzenkova O, Ni H, Wagner DD, Plutzky J, Mayadas, TN. Oxidized omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil inhibit leucocyte-endothelial interactions through activation of PPAR alpha. Blood.100,1340-1346. 2002.
(IF: 9.631) (Citation Count: 199)
9. Ziouzenkova O, Perrey S, Asatryan L, Hwang J, MacNaul KL, Moller DE, Rader DJ, Sevanian A, Zechner R, Hoefler G, Plutzky J. Lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins limits inflammatory responses through PPAR-alpha activation. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 5, 2730-2735. 2003
(IF: 10.272) (Citation Count: 282)
10. Asatryan L, Ziouzenkova O, Dunkan R, Sevanian A. Heme and lipid peroxides in hemoglobin-modified low density lipoprotein mediate cell survival and adaptation to oxidative stress. Blood. 102, 1732-1739. 2003.
(IF: 10.120) (Citation Count: 41)
11. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan,L, Sahady,D, Orasanu,G, Perrey,S, Cutak,B, Hassell,T, Akiyama,T,E, Berger,J,P; Sevanian,A, Plutzky,J. Dual roles for lipolysis and oxidation in peroxisome proliferation-activator receptor responses to electronegative low density lipoprotein. J Biol Chem. 278, 39874-39881. 2003.
(IF: 6.482) (Citation Count: 72)
12. Ahmed W, Orasanu G, Nehra V, Asatryan L, Rader DJ, Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. HDL hydrolysis by endothelial lipase activates PPARalpha: A candidate mechanism for HDL-mediated repression of leukocyte adhesion. Circulation Research. 98, 490-498. 2006.
(IF: 9.854) (Citation Count: 180)
13. Ziouzenkova O, Orasanu G, Sukhova G, Lau E, Berger JP, Tang G, Krinsky NI, Dolnikowski GG, Plutzky J Asymmetric cleavage of beta-carotene yields a transcriptional repressor of RXR and PPAR. Mol. Endocrinology. 21, 77-88. 2007.
(IF: 5.337) (Citation Count: 142)
14. Ziouzenkova O, Orasanu G, Sharlach M, Akiyama TE, Berger JP, Viereck J, Hamilton JA, Tang G, Dolnikowski GG, Plutzky J. Retinaldehyde represses adipogenesis and diet-induced obesity. Nature Medicine.13, 695-702. 2007.
(IF: 26.382) (Citation Count: 367)
Since Joining OSU
15. Orasanu G, Ziouzenkova O, Devchand PR, Nehra V, Hamdy O, Horton ES, Plutzky J. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist pioglitazone represses inflammation in a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha-dependent manner in vitro and in vivo in mice. J Am Coll Cardiol. 52, 869-881. 2008.
(IF: 11.438) (Citation Count: 80)
16. Ying Z, Kherada N, Kampfrath T, Mihai G, Simonetti O, Desikan R, Selvendiran K, Sun Q, Ziouzenkova O, Parthasarathy S, Rajagopalan S. A. Modified Sesamol Derivative Inhibits Progression of Atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 31, 536-452. 2011.
(IF: 6.37) (Citation Count: 21)
17. Reichert B, Yasmeen R, Jeyakumar SM, Yang F, Thomou T, Alder H, Duester D, Maiseyeu A, Mihai G, Harrison EH, Rajagopalan S, Kirkland JL, and Ziouzenkova O.Concerted action of aldehyde dehydrogenases influences depot-specific fat formation. Molecular Endocrinology. 25,799-809. 2011.PMCID: PMC3082326
(IF: 4.5) (Citation Count: 84)
18.Ying Z, Desikan R, Xu X, Maiseyeu A, Liu C, Sun Q, Ziouzenkova O, Parthasarathy S, Rajagopalan S. Modified methylenedioxyphenol analogs lower LDL cholesterol through induction of LDL receptor expression. J Lipid Res. 53, 879-887. 2012.
(IF: 4.39) (Citation Count: 3)
19. Yang F, Zhang X, Maiseyeu A, Mihai G, Yasmeen R, DiSilvestro D, Maurya S.K., Muthu P, Bergdall KV, Duester G, Sen CK, Roy S, Lee LJ, Rajagopalan S, Ziouzenkova O.
The prolonged survival of fibroblasts with forced lipid catabolism in visceral fat following encapsulation in alginate-poly-L-lysine. Biomaterials. 33, 5638-5649. 2012.
(IF 2011: 7.6) (Citation Count: 18)
20. Yasmeen R, Reichert B, Deiuliis J, Yang F, Lynch A, Meyers J, Sharlach M, Shin S, Volz K.S., Green K, Lee K, Alder H, Duester G, Zechner R, Rajagopalan S, Ziouzenkova O.
Autocrine Function of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 1 (Aldh1) as a Determinant of Diet- and Sex- Specific Differences in Visceral Adiposity. Diabetes. 62, 124-136. 2013.
(IF: 8.474) (Citation Count: 55)
21. Liu M-J, Bao S, Bolin ER, Burris DL, Xu X, Sun Q, Killilea DW, Shen Q, Ziouzenkova O, Belury MA, Failla ML, Knoell DL. Zinc deficiency augments leptin production and exacerbates macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue in mice fed a high-fat diet. The Journal of Nutrition. 143, 1036-1045. 2013.
(IF: 4.227) (Citation Count: 44)
22. Gushchina LV, Yasmeen R, and Ziouzenkova O. Moderate vitamin A supplementation in obese mice regulates tissue factor and cytokine production in a sex-specific manner. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 539 (2), 239-247. 2013.
(IF: 3.043) (Citation Count: 15)
23. Yasmeen R, Meyers JM, Alvarez CE, Thomas JL, Bonnegarde-Bernard A, Alder H, Papenfuss TL, Benson DM Jr, Boyaka PN, Ziouzenkova O. Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1a1 induces oncogene suppressor genes in B cell populations. BBA - Molecular Cell Research. 1833 (12), 3218–3227. 2013.
(IF: 5.297) (Citation Count: 9)
24. Shen Q, Chitchumroonchokchai C, Thomas, JL, Gushchina LV, DiSilvestro D, Failla ML, Ziouzenkova O. Identification of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of mangostin xanthones in adipocyte reporter assays. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. 58 (2), 239-247. 2014.
(IF: 4.909) (Citation Count: 27)
25. Shen Q, Riedl KM, Cole RM, Lehman C, Xu L, Alder H, Belury M, Schwartz SJ, Ziouzenkova O. Egg Yolks Inhibit Activation of NF-kappa B and Expression of Its Target Genes in Adipocytes after Partial Delipidation. J Agric Food Chem. 63 (7), 2013-2025. 2015.
(IF: 3.107) (Citation Count: 6)
26. Xu, L, Shen, Q, Mao, Z, Lee, LJ, Ziouzenkova, O. Encapsulation thermogenic preadipocytes for transplantation into adipose tissue depots. Journal of Visualized Science (JoVE). 100, e52806. 2015.
(IF: 1.1) (Citation Count: 8)
27. Headley CA, DiSilvestro D, Bryant KE, Hemann C, Chen C-A, Das A, Ziouzenkova O, Durand G, Villamena FA. Nitrones Reverse Hyperglycemia-Induced Endothelial Dysfunction in Bovine Aortic Endothelial Cells. Biochemical Pharmacology. Vol. S0006-2952 (16), 00024-1. 2016. (IF: 5.009) (Citation Count: 15)
28. DiSilvestro,DJ, Melgar-Bermudez E, Yasmeen R, Fadda P, Lee LJ, Kalyanasundaram A, Gilor CL, Ziouzenkova O. Leptin Production by Encapsulated Adipocytes Increases Brown Fat, Decreases Resistin, and Improves Glucose Intolerance in Obese Mice. PLOS ONE. 11 (4), e0153198. 2016.
(IF: 3.234) (Citation Count: 9)
29. Petrosino JM, Heiss VJ, Maurya SK, Kalyanasundaram A, Periasamy M, LaFountain RA, Wilson JM, Simonetti OP, Ziouzenkova O. Graded Maximal Exercise Testing to Assess Mouse Cardio-Metabolic Phenotypes. PLOS ONE. 11, (2), e0148010. 2016.
(IF: 3.234) (Citation Count: 35)
30. Yang K, Adin C, Shen Q, Xu L, Lee LJ, Yu L, Fadda P, Samogyi A, Ham K, Gilor C, Ziouzenkova O, Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 (Aldh1a1) regulates energy metabolism between different species. Xenotransplantation. 25: e12318. 2017.
(IF 3.48) (Citation Count: 10)
31. Shen Q, Yasmeen R, Marbourg J, Xu L, Yu L, Fadda P, Flechtner A, Lee LJ, Popovich PG, Ziouzenkova O. Induction of innervation by encapsulated adipocytes with engineered vitamin A metabolism. Transl Res. pii: S1931-5244(17) 30288-8. 2017.
doi: 10.1016/j.trsl.2017.10.005. PMID: 29144959
(IF 4.915) (Citation Count: 9)
32. Petrov B, Aldoori A, James C, Yang K, Algorta GP, Lee A, Zhang L, Lin T, Al Awadhi R, Parquette JR, Samogyi A, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Gracious B, Ziouzenkova O.
Bipolar Disorder in Youth is Associated with Increased Levels of Vitamin D Binding Protein. Translational Psychiatry. 8 (1), 61-71. 2018.
doi: 10.1038/s41398-018-0109-7 PMID: 29531242 PMCID: PMC5847532
(IF 5.18) (Citation Count: 18)
33. Yasmeen R, Shen Q, Lee A, Leung JH, Kowdley D, DiSilvestro DJ, Xu L, Yang K, Maiseyeu A, Bal NC, Periasamy M, Fadda P, and Ziouzenkova O. Epiregulin induces leptin secretion and energy expenditure in high-fat diet-fed mice. J Endocrinology. 239(3), 377-388. 2018.
(IF 4.38) (Citation Count: 1)
34. Lee A, Pontin MCF, Kosmerl E, Jimenez-Flores R, Moretti DB, and Ziouzenkova O. Assessment of adipogenic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties of whole and whey bovine colostrum. J Dairy Sci. 102 (10), 8614-8621. 2019.
doi: 10.3168/jds.2019-16509 PMID 31351710
(IF 3.08) (Citation Count: 5)
35. Gilor C, Yang K, Lee A, Song N-J, Fadda P, Adin CA, Herbert C, Jennings R, Ham K, Lee J, and Ziouzenkova O. Thermogenic crosstalk occurs between adipocytes from different species. Sci Rep. 9 (1), 15177. 2019.
PMID 31645582 PMCID: PMC6811532 DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-50628-9
(IF 4.01) (Citation Count: 2)
36. Lee A, Sun Y, Lin T, Song N-Joon, Mason ML, Leung JH, Kowdley D, Wall J, Brunetti A , Fitzgerald J, Baer LA, Stanford KI, Ortega-Anaya J, Gomes-Dias L, Needleman B, Noria S, Weil Z, Blakeslee JJ, Jiménez-Flores R, Parquette JR, and Ziouzenkova O. Amino acid-based compound activates atypical PKC and leptin receptor pathways to improve glycemia and anxiety like behavior in diabetic mice. Biomaterials. 239, 119839. 2020.
PMID 32065973 DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.
(IF 10.27) (Citation Count: 3)
37. Petrosino JM, Longenecker JZ, Ramkumar S, Xu X, Dorn LE, Bratasz A, Yu L, Maurya S, Tolstikov V,.Bussberg V, Janssen PM, Periasamy M, Kiebish MA, Duester G, von Lintig J, Ziouzenkova O, Accornero F. Paracardial fat remodeling affects systemic metabolism through alcohol dehydrogenase 1. J Clin Invest.;131(4):e141799. 2021
PMID: 33586683 doi: 10.1172/JCI141799.
(IF 14.8) (Citation Count: 5)
38. Lee A, Mason ML, Lin T, Kumar SB, Kowdley D, Leung JH, Muhanna D, Sun Y, Ortega-Anaya J, Yu L, Fitzgerald J, DeVries AC, Nelson RJ, Weil ZM, Jiménez-Flores R, Parquette JR, Ziouzenkova O. Amino Acid Nanofibers Improve Glycemia and Confer Cognitive Therapeutic Efficacy to Bound Insulin. Pharmaceutics. 2021;14(1):81.
PMID: 35056977 doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics14010081.
(IF 6.07) (Citation Count: 1)
39. Song NJ, Lee A, Yasmeen R, Shen Q, Yang K, Kumar SB, Muhanna D, Arnipalli S, Noria SF, Needleman BJ, Hazey JW, Mikami DJ, Ortega-Anaya J, Jiménez-Flores R, Prokop J, Ziouzenkova O. Epiregulin as an Alternative Ligand for Leptin Receptor Alleviates Glucose Intolerance without Change in Obesity. Cells, 11(3), 425; 2022
(IF 6.6) (Citation Count: 0)
1. Esterbauer H, Gieseg SP, Giessauf A, Ziouzenkova O, Ramos P. Free radicals and oxidative modification of LDL: role of natural antioxidants. In: Woodford FP, Davignon J, Sniderman A. Atherosclerosis X.203-208. 1995.
(Citation Count: 16)
2. Esterbauer H, Gieseg SP, Giessauf A, Ziouzenkova O, Ramos P. Role of natural antioxidants in inhibiting Cu2+ mediated oxidation of LDL. In: Bellomo G, Finardi G, Maggi E, Rice-Evans C. Free radicals, lipoprotein oxidation and atherosclerosis. Richelieu Press, London, 11-26. 1995.
3. Sevanian A, Asatryan L, Ziouzenkova O. Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) modification: Basic Concepts and Relationship to Atherosclerosis. In: Lameire N, Tetta C, Ronco C, Haemodialysis and oxidant stress. Karger AG, Basel, 66-78.1999.
4. Ziouzenkova O, Sevanian A Oxidative Modification of Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) in HD Patients: Role in electronegative LDL formation. In Botella J, Klinkman H, La Greca G, Zucchelli P. Chronic Inflammation in hemodialysis. Karger AG, Basel. 169-176. 2000:
5. Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. Exogenous and endogenous mechanisms of PPAR activation: implications for inflammation and atherosclerosis. In: Matsuzawa Y, Kita T, Nagai R, Teramoto T, B. Proceedings of the 13th International Atherosclerosis Symposium, Kyoto, Japan, 9/28 -
10/2/2003. Elsevier, ScienceDirect: International Congress Series. 1262: 147-151. 2004.
6. Orasanu G, Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors (PPARs)-Potential targets for Diabetic Atherosclerosis. In: Cheta D. Vascular Involvement in Diabetes: Clinical, Experimental and Beyond. Karger AG. 35-50. 2005.
7. Ziouzenkova O, Orasanu G. Lipoproteins and PPAR Signaling in Diabetes. In: Cheta D. Vascular Involvement in Diabetes: Clinical, Experimental and Beyond. Karger AG. 51-62. 2005.
8. Ziouzenkova O, Marx N, Libby P, Plutzky J. PPARs in atherosclerosis. In: De Caterina R, Libby P. Endothlelial Dysfunctions and Vascular Disease.337-349. 2007.
Since Joining OSU
9. Jeyakumar SM, Yasmeen R, Reichert B, Ziouzenkova O. Metabolism of vitamin A in white adipose tissue and obesity. In: Sommerburg O, Siems W, and Kraemer K. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group. pp. 23-51. 2013.
(Citation Count: 8)
1. Ziouzenkova O, Harrison EH. Retinoid and lipid metabolism. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Jan;1821(1):1-2. (Citation Count: 1)
2. Ziouzenkova, O. Vitamin A Metabolism: Challenges and Perspectives. Vitamins & Trace Elements. Vol. 5/1. 2012.
doi: 10.4172/vte.1000e106. http://omicsgroup.org/journals/VTE/VTE-1-e106.php?aid=4575.
3. Ziouzenkova, O. Personalized Medicine: The Contribution of Micronutrients. Review of Editorial, Austin Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences. Vol. 2, no. 4: 2. 2014.
4. DiSilvestro, D and Ziouzenkova, O. Supplement: The prolonged survival of fibroblasts with forced lipid catabolism in visceral fat following encapsulation in alginate-poly-L-lysine. World Biomedical Frontiers. 2014.
5. Yasmeen, R and Ziouzenkova, O. Autocrine function of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 as a determinant of diet- and sex-specific differences in visceral adiposity. World Biomedical Frontiers. 2014.
6. Reichert, B, Yasmeen, R, Jeyakumar, SM, Yang, F, Thomou, T, Alder, H, Duester, G, Maiseyeu, A, Mihai, G, Harrison,EH, Rajagopalan, S, Kirkland, JL, Ziouzenkova, O. Translational Highlights from Molecular Endocrinology. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 1571–1573. 2013.
1. Ziouzenkova O, Gieseg SP, Ramos P, Esterbauer H. Factors affecting resistance of low density lipoproteins to oxidation. Lipids. 31:s-71-76. 1996.
(IF 5y: 2.28) (Citation Count: 53)
2. Sevanian A, Asatryan L, Ziouzenkova O. Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) modification: Basic Concepts and Relationship to Atherosclerosis. Blood Purif.17(2-3): 66-78. 1999.
(IF: 0.703) (Citation Count: 60)
3. Ziouzenkova O, Sevanian A Oxidative Modification of Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) in HD Patients: Role in electronegative LDL formation. Blood Purif. 18(3):169-176. 2000.
(IF: 0.703) (Citation Count:44)
4. Ziouzenkova O, Perrey S, Bacqueville D, Marx N, Plutzky J. Peroxisome Proliferator-activated Receptors. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 4 (1):59-64. 2002.
(IF 2011: 2.45) (Citation Count: 47)
5. Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. Lipolytic PPAR activation: new insights into the intersection of triglycerides and inflammation? Curr. Opin.Clin.Nutr.Metab. Care. 7,369-375. 2004.
(IF: 3.089) (Citation Count: 25)
6. Devchand PR, Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. Oxidative stress and peroxisome proliferators-activated receptors: reversing the curse? Circulation Res. 95,1137-1139. 2004.
(IF: 9.854) (Citation Count: 18)
7. Ahmed W, Ziouzenkova O, Brown J, Devchand PR, Frances S, Kadakia M, Kanda T, Orasanu G, Sharlach M, Plutzky J. PPARs and their metabolic modulation: new mechanisms for transcriptional regulation? Journal of Internal Medicine. 262,184-198. 2007.
(IF: 6.46) (Citation Count: 105)
Since Joining OSU
8. Ziouzenkova O and Plutzky J. P. Retinoid metabolism and Nuclear Receptor Responses: New Insights into coordinated regulation of the PPAR-RXR Complex, FEBS Lett. 582,32-38. 2008.
(IF: 3.264) (Citation Count: 204)
9. Yasmeen R, Jeyakumar SM, Reichert B, Yang F, Ziouzenkova O. The contribution of vitamin A to autocrine regulation of fat depots. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1821(1),190-7. 2012.
(IF: 5.084) (Citation Count: 75)
10. DiSilvestro D, Petrosino J, Aldoori A, Melgar-Bermudez E, Wells A, Ziouzenkova O. Enzymatic intracrine regulation of white adipose tissue. Hormone Molecular Biology and Clinical Investigation. 19 (1), 39-55. 2014.
(IF: 0.947) (Citation Count: 7)
11. Petrosino JM, DiSilvestro D, and Ziouzenkova O. Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 1A1: Friend or Foe to Female Metabolism? Nutrients. 6 (3), 950-973. 2014.
PMID: 24594504 PMCID: PMC3967171 DOI: 10.3390/nu6030950
(IF: 5.480) (Citation Count: 34)
12. Lee A and Ziouzenkova O. A paracrine role for white thermogenic adipocytes in innervation: an evidence-based hypothesis. Neural Regeneration Research. 14,217-221. 2019.
doi: 10.4103/1673-5374.244777. PMID: 30531000 PMCID: PMC6301184
(IF: 2.47) (Citation Count: 1)
13. Kumar SB, Arnipalli SR, Ziouzenkova O. Antibiotics in Food Chain: The Consequences for Antibiotic Resistance. Antibiotics (Basel). 2020 Oct 13;9(10):688. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics9100688.PMID: 33066005 (IF: 3.8) (Citation Count: 13)
14. Muhanna D, Arnipalli SR, Kumar SB, Ziouzenkova O. Osmotic Adaptation by Na+-Dependent Transporters and ACE2: Correlation with Hemostatic Crisis in COVID-19.
Biomedicines. 2020;8(11):460. doi: 10.3390/biomedicines8110460.PMID: 33142989
(IF: 4.7) (Citation Count: 5)
1. Plutzky J, Ziouzenkova O. Use of 9-cis retinoic acid its salts, hydrolysable esters, prodrugs or metabolites. U.S. Patent Application Nos. 60/228,763 and 60/246,067. Filed August 29, 2001. WO200217901-A; WO200217901-A2; US2002031539-A1; AU200189167-A; AU2001289167-A8; WO200217901-A3
2. Plutzky J, Ziouzenkova O. Lipid derivs. of phosphono acids. U.S. Patent Application Nos. 60/331,124. Filed November 8, 2001. WO2003039583-A; WO2003039583-A1; US2003129216-A1; EP1450853-A1; AU2002363332-A1; US6869603-B2; US2005129724-A1; AU2002363332-B2
Since Joining OSU
3. International Application US 61/064,375. Plutzky J, Ziouzenkova O. ‘Retinaldehyde in the treatment of Obesity, Diabetes and other Conditions’, February 27, 2009
4. Ziouzenkova O. CAPSULE OF THERMOGENIC CELLS FOR TREATING A METABOLIC DISEASE, U.S. Application Serial No. 12/884,587, filed September 17, 2010.
5. Patent Number(s): WO2017172881-A1. Ziouzenkova, O and Parquette, J.‘Thermogenic composition and methods’ Patent Assignee: Ohio State Innovation Found.
D. ABSTRACTS PUBLISHED IN ISI JOURNALS
1. Winklhofer-Roob B. M., Ziouzenkova O, Puhl H, and Esterbauer H. “Impaired resistance to oxidation of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) in cystic fibrosis patients: inmprovement during vitamin E supplementation“ FASEB J Vol. 8 (1994): page: A272
2. Roob J. M.; Ziouzenkova O., Winklhofer-Roob B. M., Puhl H, and Esterbauer H. “Antioxidants and resistance to oxidation of low-density lipoproteins before and after haemodialysis treatment“. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation Vol. 9 (1994): page 999
3. Meraji S, Ziouzenkova O, Resh U, Khoschsorur A,Tazber F, and Esterbauer H. "Effect of supplementation with beta-carotene and alpha tocopherol in Iranian subjects." Biofactors. Vol. 6. (1997): 257.
4. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan L, Akmal M, Wratten Ml Tetta C, Sevanian A. "Novel hemodialysis procedure utilising antioxidants decreases oxidative stress during ex-vivo circulation of blood." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. Vol. 9. (1998): Abstract A1413 page 277A.
5. Ziouzenkova O, Asatryan L,Hwang J, Sevanian A, Plutzky J. "Lipoprotein lipase prevents the vascular cell Adhesion Molecule (VCAM) 1 expression induced by Electronegative LDL (LDL)." Circulation. Vol. 102 Supplement II. Dallas: American Heart Association. (2000): 1224 II-250.
6. Ziouzenkova O, Perrey S, Sukhova G, Asatryan L, Hwang J,MacNaul K, Moller D, Rader D, Sevanian A,Zechner R,Hoefler G, Pluzky J. "Enzymatically Active Lipoportein lipase generates Endogenous PPAR alpha Ligands." . Circulation. Vol. 106 supplement Abstract1154. (2002)
7. Ziouzenkova O, Asaryan L, Hwang J, Perrey S, Sevanian A, Plutzky J. "Electronegative LDL subfraction (LDL-) modulates PPARalpha signaling." Free Radical Biology and Medicine. Vol. 33. (2002): S138, Abstract 361.
8. Ziouzenkova O, Perrey S, Krinsky N, Plutzky J. "The beta-carotene metabolite beta-apo-14'-carotenal is a natural inhibitor of nuclear receptor PPARalpha." [Abstract]. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. Vol. 33. (2002): S242, Abstract 644.
9. Sahady D, Ziouzenkova O, Akyama T, Berger J, Pluzky J. "Monoacylglycerol is a novel endogenous PPAR-alpha activator." Circulation. Vol. 108 (supplement). (2003): Abstract 503.
10. Orasanu G, Ziouzenkova O, Nehra V, Plutzky J. "The Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor (PPAR) gamma Agonist Pioglitazone Represses Endothelial Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule 1 in a PPAR alpha-Dependent Manner: Evidence for PPAR Crosstalk." Circulation. 2005 ed. Vol. 112 (Suppl). (2005): Abstract 1064.
11. Kadakia MB, Ziouzenkova O, Nehra V, Duester G, Plutzky J. "Divergent nuclear factor-kappa B responses to 9-cis retinoic acid and its Precursor Retinaldehyde." Circulation. Vol. 112. (2005): Abstract 914.
12. Ziouzenkova O, Orasanu G, Sharlach M, Akiyama TE, Berger JP, Viereck J, Hamilton JA, Tang G, Dolnikowski GG, Plutzky J. "Retinaldehyde Inhibits Adipogenesis through RXR and PPAR-gamma Repression." Circulation. Vol. 114:II_301. (2006): Abstract 1556.
13. Sharlach M, Plutzky J, Ziouzenkova O. "All-Trans Retinoic Acid Regulates Adiponectin in vivo and in vitro." Circulation. Vol. 114:II_298. (2006): Abstract 1544.
14. Saavedra A, Ziouzenkova O, Plutzky J. "Anti-inflammatory properties of lipoprotein lipase-treated lipoproteins, in a mouse model of irritant dermatitis" Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Volume: 56 Issue: 2 Supplement: S (2007) Pages: AB38
Since Joining OSU
15. Ying ZK, Farrar B, Kherada N,Chung YC, Simonetti O, Desikan R, Khan B, Parthasarathy S , Ziouzenkova O, Rajagopalan S. "A Novel Sesame Oil Derivative Inhibits Atherosclerosis Through PPAR alpha and NF kappa B-Dependent Mechanisms." Arteriosclerosis thrombosis and vascular biology. Vol. 29. (2009): E48.
16. Yasmeen R, Lynch A, Reichert B, Yang F, Lee K, Duester G, and Ziouzenkova O. "Diet−Induced Visceral Obesity in Female Mice Depends on Autocrine Retinoic Acid Production." Endocrine Reviews. Vol. 32. (2011): P1-779.
17. Yasmeen R, Reichert B, Duester G, Ziouzenkova O. "Concerted Action of Aldehyde Dehydrogenases Influences Depot-specific Fat Formation." FASEB Journal. Vol. 25 (2011) : 775.13 and lb181
18. Meyers JM, Yang F, Yasmeen R, Duester G, Ziouzenkova O. "High-fat diet-dependent increase in plasma immunoglobulin levels are repressed by aldehyde dehydrogenase1 a1." FASEB J. Vol. 26 (2012): lb454.
19. Yasmeen R, Reichert B,Duester G, Ziouzenkova O. "Retinaldehyde-Mediated Lipolysis Underlay Sexual Dimorphism in Visceral Obesity in Mice." FASEB J. Vol. 26 (2012): 649.3
20. Reichert B, Yasmeen R, Yang F, Kotzbeck P, Poeschl M, Zechner R, Ziouzenkova O. "Estrogen and Retinoid Interactions in the Regulation of Adipose Triglyceride Lipase." Endocrine Reviews. Volume: 33, Issue: 03_MeetingAbstracts, Pages: SAT-88 to SAT-88.
21. Shen Q, Chitchumroonchokchai C, Gushchina LV, DiSilvestro D, Failla ML, Ziouzenkova O. "Identification of the role of mangostin in adipocytes with high-throughput biosensor platform". FASEB J. Vol. 27, Bethesda: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. (2013): 862.35.
22. Gushchina LV, Yasmeen R, Meyers JM, Thomas J, Benson DM, Boyaka P, Ziouzenkova O. "The role of vitamin A metabolites in human and murine B cells". FASEB J. Vol. 27, Bethesda: Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology. (2013): 32.4.
23. DiSilvestro D, Ziouzenkova O, Lee JL. "Encapsulated thermogenic and appetite suppressing fibroblasts attenuate weight gain in mice". Endocrine Reviews. Stanford: Endocrine Society. ( 2013 ): OR08-6 http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/endomeetings.2013.OABA.9.OR08-6
24. Yasmeen, R, Meyers, JM, Alvarez, CE, Thomas, JL, Bonnegarde-Bernard, A, Alder, H, Papenfuss, TL, Benson, DM, Jr, Boyaka, PN, Ziouzenkova, O. "Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1a1 induces oncogene suppressor genes in B cell populations". FASEB J. Vol. 28, Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology. (2014): 639.7.
25. DiSilvestro, D, Lee, L, Ziouzenkova, O. "The effects of thermogenic and appetite supressing capsules on mice fed a high fat diet". FASEB J. Vol. 28, Bethesda: Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology. ( 2014 ): 371.2.
26. Aldoori A, Algortam G, Ziouzenkova O, Gracious, B. "Immune response influences in an adolescent cohort examined for the pathogenesis of mood disorders". FASEB J. Vol. 28, Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology. (2014):811.26.
27. Shen Q, Riedl KM, Cole RM, Lehman C, Xu L, Alder H, Belury M, Schwartz SJ, Ziouzenkova O. Characterization of milk and soy phospholipid liposomes and their effects on inflammation using an adipocyte model.
E Kosmerl, D Rocha-Mendoza, I Garcia-Cano, O Ziouzenkova, ...
JOURNAL OF DAIRY SCIENCE 102, 8-8 Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology. (2015): 922.11.
28. Petrosino JM, Maurya S, Kalyanasundaram A, Wilson J, Periasamy M, Ziouzenkova O. "Maximizing the Max Test: A Method for Determining Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Dysfunction in Mice". FASEB J. Vol. 29, Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology.
29. Ziouzenkova O, Shen Q, Yasmeen R, Popovich P. "Thermogenic adipocytes regulate axonal growth, innervation, and thermogenic remodeling of white adipose tissue via retinoic acid-ephrin A5-dependent pathway". FASEB J. Vol. 30,Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology. (2016): Lb 145. (2015): 632.10.
30. Petrov B, Aldoori A, Algorta GP, Yang K, Yasmeen R, Gracious B, Fristad M, and Ziouzenkova O. "Bipolar Disorder in Youth is Associated with Increased Low Molecular Weight Fraction of Vitamin D Binding Protein". FASEB J. Vol. 30,Bethesda: Federation of Experimental Biology. (2016): lb155.
31. Lee A, Yasmeen R, Ziouzenkova O. ‘Epiregulin improves glucose uptake by mouse preadipocyte and ameliorates glucose intolerance in ob/ob mice’ Conference: Annual Meeting of the American-Society-for-Pharmacology-and-Experimental-Therapeutics (ASPET) at Experimental Biology Meeting Location: Chicago, IL Date: APR 22-26, 2017 FASEB J Vol. 31 Supplement: 1 (2017): lb338
32. Petrov B, Aldoori A, James C, Yang K, Algorta GP, Lee A, Zhang L, Lin T, Al Awadhi R, Parquette JR, Samogyi A, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Gracious B, Ziouzenkova O. ‘Bipolar Disorder in Youth is Associated with Increased Low Molecular Weight Fraction of Vitamin D Binding Protein’.Conference: Annual Meeting of the American-Society-for-Pharmacology-and-Experimental-Therapeutics (ASPET) at Experimental Biology Meeting Location: Chicago, IL Date: APR 22-26, 2017 FASEB J Vol. 31 Supplement: 1 (2017) Meeting Abstract: 636.2
33. Kosmerl E, Rocha-Mendoza D, Garcia-Cano I, Ziouzenkova O, Jimenez-Flores R. Characterization of milk and soy phospholipid liposomes and their effects on inflammation using an adipocyte model.J Dairy Science, 102( 2019): 8-8
34. Ziouzenkova, O. Encyclopedia.pub. Antibiotic Resistance. https://encyclopedia.pub/4243. (2020).
Local and National Research Presentations
- 1998 Lecturer, ‘Formation of an Atherogenic LDL Subfraction in Blood: How Hemoglobin Overcomes Plasma Antioxidants During Hemodialysis’ Seminar, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle, Durham, North Carolina
- 1999 Lecturer, ‘Formation of an Atherogenic LDL Subfraction in Blood: A Probable Consequence of Inflammation’, Cardiovascular Seminar, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2006 Speaker, ‘Anti-inflammatory Effects of PPARs’, Research Symposium on ‘Advanced Glycation End Products and Diabetic Complications: Insights into New Mechanisms and New Therapeutic Targets’, Cambridge, Massachusetts, March 17-19
- 2007 Speaker, ‘Asymmetric cleavage of beta-carotene yields a transcriptional PPAR and RXR repressor’, Gordon Conference on Carotenoids, Ventura, California, January 7-122007 Lecturer, ‘Asymmetric cleavage of beta-carotene yields a transcriptional PPAR and RXR repressor’, Seminar, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, January 12
- 2007 Speaker, ‘Retinaldehyde Suppresses Obesity and Insulin Resistance Resulting from High-Fat Feeding’ Cardiovascular, Diabetes, and Metabolic Disorders Research Center retreat, Boston, Massachusetts, February 13
Since joining OSU
- 2008 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A metabolism and the metabolic syndrome’, Klassen symposium, Columbus, Ohio, May 6
- 2008 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A metabolism and the metabolic syndrome’, FASEB ‘Retinoids’, New Heaven, Connecticut, June 15-20
- 2008 Lecturer, ‘Endogenous regulation of nuclear receptors: implications for the metabolic syndrome’, Molecular Carcinogenesis and Chemoprevention Program, Columbus, Ohio, September 25
- 2008 Lecturer, ‘Endogenous regulation of nuclear receptors: implications for the metabolic syndrome’, Seminar at Rutgers University, New York, November 17
- 2009 Lecturer, ‘Antioxidants: the rise, the fall, and the reincarnation’, Seminar for Columbus Section of the American Chemical Society, Columbus, Ohio, September 9
- 2009 Lecturer, ‘Vitamin A Metabolism: The Gate of Fat Cell Fate’, Seminar for Department of Human Nutrition seminar series, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, December 2
- 2010 Lecturer, ‘From vitamin A to retinal or retinoic acid: an unexpected twist for obesity’, Seminar for The Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute seminar series, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, February 5
- 2010 Lecturer, ‘Nutrigenomics of Longevity’, American Chemical Society Columbus Section Meeting, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, March 17
- 2010 Lecturer, ‘Aldehyde Dehydrogenase, Family 1: A Signaling Crossroad’ Seminar for the Department of Pharmacology, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, June 1
- 2011 Lecturer, ‘Vitamin A metabolism and regulation of B-cell differentiation’ Seminar for Immunology Round Table, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, April 22
- 2011 Lecturer, ‘From Bench to Bedside: the Vitamin A Contribution’ Seminar for The Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute seminar series, OSU, Columbus, Ohio, June 3
- 2011 Lecturer, ‘From Bench to Bedside: the Vitamin A Contribution’ Seminar for Cardiovascular Department, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, June 6
- 2012 Lecturer, ’Vitamin A: A checkpoint for lipid metabolism?’ Seminar for the Department of Human Nutrition, Columbus, Ohio, May 4
- 2013 Lecturer, ‘Vitamin A metabolism and B cells.’ Seminar for the Department of Human Nutrition, Columbus, Ohio
- 2013 Lecturer, ‘Energy regulation by vitamin A metabolism: perspective for the therapy.’CCTS Pilot Program Retreat.
- 2014 Lecturer, ‘Integration of vitamin A metabolism into myelomagenesis and B celldifferentiation.’ Presented at Seminar for 'Multiple Myeloma Interest Group'
- 2015 Lecturer, ‘Look who's talking: an insight into communication between brain andadipose tissue in obesity." Seminar, Human Nutrition seminar series.
- 2017 Presenter, ‘Protein-Nanomatrices for Treatment of Diabetes and Obesity'. Presented at The Ohio State University Spring 2017 Startup Snapshot. Columbus, May 9.
- 2017 Lecturer, ‘NutriNanoMedicine:Better than Nature?" Seminar/ meeting, Davis Heart and Lung Institute. Columbus, September 18.
- 2017 Lecturer, ‘NutriNanoMedicine: Better than Nature?" Seminar at Food Science and Technology. Columbus, September 20.
- 2018 Speaker,’ Encephacure technology for treatment of diseases of central nervous system (CNS) and improvement of cognitive function’ Erdos Technology Showcase, TCO, OSU, Columbus, February 28
- 2018 Lecturer, ‘Vitamin A role in thermogenic fat formation. Translational perspectives’ Nemours Children's Clinic, Endocrinology, Jacksonville, Florida, United States, May 28
- 2018 Speaker,’Diabesity and neurodegeneration: a nanotechnology solution?’ Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center of Excellence and department of Neuroscience Seminar series, OSU, August 1.
- 2018 Speaker, ‘Trinity: The beginning and the end of infinite development’. How Do You See The World? The Thompson Institute, OSU, September 23.
- 2019 Speaker,’ How to treat diabetes in the brain? An emerging role of nanotechnology’. Human Nutrition Seminar series, OSU, February 1.
- 2019 Presenter, ‘Nanotechnology answers to Alzheimer's disease’. Technology Oversight Committee. Department of Biochemistry, OSU February 16.
- 2020 Speaker, ’Thermogenic adipose tissues. Concepts, conundrums, and translational potential’. Human Nutrition Seminar series, OSU, January 31.
- 2020 Speaker, ‘New therapeutic molecules to address glucose metabolism and brain function in diabetes and Alzheimer's disease’ Center for Brain Injury, OSU, July1
International Research Program Activities
- 1998 Speaker, ‘Modification of LDL During Hemodialysis’, EDTA meeting, Madrid, Spain
- 1998 Speaker, Awardee presentation: ‘Cross-Linking Of ApoB And Hemoglobin Causes LDL Modification In Plasma’, IX Biennial Meeting, International Society for Free Radical Research, Sao Paolo, Brazil, 7-11 September
- 2000 Speaker, ‘Electronegative LDL (LDL-) Increases Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor 1 (PAI-1) Through Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor (PPARgamma) Mechanisms’, American Heart Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 12-15
- 2001 Speaker, ‘Modulation of Peroxidase-Dependent PPARgamma Signaling by Antioxidants’, Oxygen Club of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- 2002 Speaker, ‘Enzymatically-Active Lipoprotein Lipase Generates Endogenous PPAR Alpha Ligands’, American Heart Association, Chicago, IL
- 2003 Speaker, ‘Electronegative LDL decreases VCAM-1 expression in a PPARalpha-dependent fashion: synergistic action of oxidation and lipolysis’, ‘Hot topics in endocrinology’, San Diego, CA
- 2005 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A metabolites regulate PPAR and RXR function’, Seminar, Karl-Franzens University, Graz, Austria2005 Speaker, ‘Endogenous pathways regulate activation and inhibition of PPAR function’, Third International Symposium on ‘PPARs EFFICACY AND SAFETY From Basic Science To Clinical Applications’, Monte Carlo, Monaco, March 19-23
Since Joining OSU
- 2007 Speaker, Hermann Esterbauer Memorial Meeting: Ten Years After: ‘Reactive Oxygen Species and Antioxidants: From Biochemistry to Human Disease’, Graz, Austria, October 15
- 2007 Speaker, 3rd International Symposium of the Human Nutrition & Metabolism Research and Training Center Graz ‘Bridging the Gap between Lifespan & Healthspan Nutrition and Healthy Ageing’, Graz, Austria, October 15-18
- 2008 Speaker, ‘Proteomic studies on retinaldehyde functions in adipose tissue’, Keystone Symposium on Nuclear Receptors: Orphan Brothers, Whistler, British Columbia, Mar 30 - Apr 4
- 2009 Lecturer, ‘Vitamin A: an evolving role in the regulation of energy homeostasis’, ‘Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany, June 17
- 2012 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A metabolism: contribution to sexual dimorphism in fat depot formation’, FASEB “Retinoids”, Snowmass, Colorado, June 10-15
- 2013 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A and B cell differentiation.’ Presented at Gordon Research Conference. Ventura, California, United States.
- 2013 Speaker, ‘Identifying protein targets for the induction of thermogenesis in visceral fat.’ Presented at Great Lakes Science Forum. Chicago, Illinois, United States. Scientific group of Novo Nordisk, Denmark.
- 2013 Keynote Speaker, ‘Vitamin A: An unexpected role in B cell cancers." Presented at International Conference and Exhibition on Biochemical & Molecular Engineering San Antonio, Texas, United States.
- 2013 Speaker, ‘Vitamin A metabolism: a switch between obesity and thermogenesis’. International Conference and Exhibition on Biochemical & Molecular Engineering. San Antonio, Texas, United States
- 2015 Speaker, ‘Thermogenic Trojan horse: new biologicals against visceral obesity and glucose intolerance.’ Research Seminar at Novo Nordisk, Denmark.
- 2020 Webinar presenter, ‘Hypokalemia: A culprit leading to the severe COVID-19 pathogenesis. International Webinar on Physical Health’, Nursing Care and COVID-19 Management.
- 2020 Webinar on Physical Health, Nursing Care and COVID-19 Management initiated by Editors Journal of Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine International Journal of Orthopedics and Physical Rehabilitation, November 13-14 UK, https://physicaltherapy.scientificmeditech.com/.
- 2021 Keynote speaker. Host metabolism during COVID-19: Charted and uncharted territory. Physical Health Webinar Lecture conducted from Kington, UK. https://scientificmeditech.com/. March 19.
- 2021 Keynote speaker. Hypokalemia: seasonal occurrence and relation to the severe COVID-19 pathogenesis. Physical Health Webinar 2021. Lecture conducted from London, United Kingdom. http://firstname.lastname@example.org/ July 23
- 2021 Keynote speaker. Post-vaccination era of COVID-19: nutritional considerations. Physical Health Webinar Lecture conducted from Kington, UK. https://scientificmeditech.com/. November 12.
- 2021 Speaker, ‘Amino acid nanofibers with antioxidant moiety confer cognitive therapeutic efficacy to bound insulin’ 4th International Conference on Translational Chemistry ( IC3TC ) Caparica Portugal December 7