Shirley L. Yu
Shirley L. Yu is associate professor of educational psychology in the Department of Educational Studies. Her research interests are centered on the relations of self-regulated learning, motivation, and instructional factors to retention and achievement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), with a particular emphasis on women and ethnic minority students. She is director of the Graduate Certificate in College and University Teaching, and she serves on the editorial board for the Journal of Experimental Education. She is a recipient of the College of Education and Human Ecology’s Distinguished Teaching Award.
- PhD, Education and Psychology, University of Michigan
- MA, Psychology (Developmental), University of Michigan
- BA, Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles
- Educational Psychology
- Self-regulated learning
- STEM achievement
- Underrepresented populations
- Kim, Y., Yu, S. L., Koenka, A., Lee, H. Y., & Heckler, A. (2021). Can high self-efficacy and value buffer cost? Exploring interactive relationships and their consequences for engagement and achievement in undergraduate physics. Journal of Experimental Education. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2021.1878992
- Tornwall, J., Xie, K., Yu, S. L., Stein, D., Zurmehly, J., & Nichols, R. (2020). Effects of knowledge and value on quality of supportive peer feedback. Nurse Educator. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000897
- Kaletunc, G., & Yu, S. L. (2018). Retention and advancement of women in STEM: Mentor and peer network relationships. The Chronicle of Mentoring and Coaching, 2, 478-483.
- Won, S., & Yu, S. L. (2018). Relations of perceived parental autonomy support and control with adolescents' academic time management and procrastination. Learning and Individual Differences, 61, 205-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2017.12.001
- Emery, M., Sanders, M., Anderman, L. H., & Yu, S. L. (2018). When mastery goals meet mastery learning: Administrator, teacher, and student perceptions. Journal of Experimental Education, 86, 419 441. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2017.1341863
- Martin, J. P., Simmons, D. R., & Yu, S. L. (2014). Family roles in engineering students’ academic and career choices: Does parental education attainment matter? International Journal of Engineering Education, 30(1), 136-149.
- Martin, J. P. , Simmons, D. R., & Yu, S. L. (2013). The role of social capital in the experiences of Hispanic women majoring in engineering. Journal of Engineering Education, 102(2), 247-243. https://doi.org/10.1002/jee.20010
- Yu, S. L., & Rodriguez-Hejazi, I. (2013). Single-sex schools and academic achievement. In J. Hattie & E. M. Anderman (Eds.), International Guide to Student Achievement (pp. 161-163). New York: Routledge.
- Corkin, D. M., Yu, S. L., & Lindt S. F. (2011). Comparing active delay and procrastination from a self-regulated learning perspective. Learning and Individual Differences, 21, 602-606.
- Trenor, J. M., & Yu, S. L. (2009). Diversity within diversity: One-size-fits-all won’t help recruit minorities and women. Reprintedin the American Society for Engineering Education Connections Newsletter, January, from the American Society for Engineering Education Prism, December 2008.
- Trenor, J. M., Yu, S. L., Waight, C., Zerda, K, & Sha, T.-L. (2008). The relations of ethnicity to female engineering students’ educational experiences and college and career plans in an ethnically diverse learning environment. Journal of Engineering Education, 97, 449-465.
- Hofer, B. K., & Yu, S. L. (2003). Teaching self-regulated learning through a “Learning to Learn” course. Teaching of Psychology, 30(1), 30-33.
- Yu, S. L., & Wolters, C. A. (2002). Issues in the assessment of motivation in students from ethnic minority populations. In P. R. Pintrich & M. L. Maehr (Eds.), Advances in motivation and achievement. Vol. 12: New directions in measures and methods (pp. 349-380). Oxford: Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Kail, R., Wolters, C. A., Yu, S. L., & Hagen, J. W. (2000). Brief report: Speed of information processing in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 25(7), 515-520.
- Yu, S. L., Kail, R., Hagen, J. W., & Wolters, C. A. (2000). Academic and social experiences of children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Children's Health Care, 29(3), 189-208.
- Yu, S. L. (1999). Women's motivation and strategy use in college science classes. Journal of Staff, Program, and Organization Development, 16(2), 93-101.
- Hofer, B. K., Yu, S. L., & Pintrich, P. R. (1998). Teaching college students to be self-regulated learners. In D. Schunk & B. Zimmerman (Eds.), Self-regulated learning: From teaching to self-reflective practice (pp. 57- 85). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Wolters, C. A., Yu, S. L., Hagen, J. W., & Kail, R. (1996). Short-term memory and strategy use in children with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64(6), 1397-1405.
- Wolters, C. A., Yu, S. L., & Pintrich, P. R. (1996). The relation between goal orientation and students' motivational beliefs and self-regulated learning. Learning and Individual Differences, 8(3), 211-238.
- Perry, M., VanderStoep, S. W., & Yu, S. L. (1993). Asking questions in first- grade mathematics classes: Potential influences on mathematical thought. Journal of Educational Psychology, 85(1),31-40.