EdS Goals, Objectives and Competencies
Students in the School Psychology EdS program will work toward achieving the following goals, objectives and competencies:
Goal No. 1: Students will develop the professional knowledge, skills, and identity to be ethical practicing school psychologists
Objective 1: Students will develop professional values, attitudes, and behaviors that promote positive outcomes for youth and families and facilitate psychological well-being and educational success.
- Competency 1: Engages in behaviors that are consistent with values, attitudes, and skills of competent Health Service Psychologists
- Competency 2: Demonstrates effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills in interactions with youth, families, colleagues, education professionals, and other professionals
Objective 2: Students will develop an understanding of individual differences and the impact of societal inequities that negatively impact their psychological well-being and their educational experiences.
- Competency 3: Students will demonstrate an understanding of individual and cultural differences
- Competency 4: Students will demonstrate an understanding of how societal inequities, culture, and individual differences impact psychological well-being and educational experiences
Objective 3: Students will develop an understanding of professional ethics and legal standards relevant to the practice of school psychology
- Competency 5: Students will be knowledgeable and behave in ways consistent with professional ethical principles and legal standards to the practice of school psychology
Goal No. 2: Students will learn and apply knowledge and skills of evidenced-based practices to inform data-based decision making across direct and indirect service delivery
Objective 1: Students will develop knowledge and skills related to the practice of effective consultation with education professionals and other key stakeholders (e.g., parents, caregivers, community health care professionals)
- Competency 6: Students are able to effectively apply a model of consultation in practice that incorporates a cross cultural framework
Objective 2: Students will develop knowledge and skills of evidence-based interventions to facilitate the psychological well-being and educational success of youth.
- Competency 7: Students will be able to identify evidence-based interventions that match the targeted need, implement the interventions, and evaluate the effectiveness of the interventions
Objective 3: Students will develop knowledge and skills of evidenced-based assessment practices and tools
- Competency 8: Students will demonstrate the ability to administer and interpret psychological and educational assessments
- Competency 9: Students will engage in targeting assessments that meet the individual needs of youth
Goal No. 3: Students will learn to be critical consumers of research
Objective 1: Students will develop knowledge for understanding research and interpreting data in applied settings
- Competency 10: Students will demonstrate knowledge of research design and data analysis